What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

@BeeMaa is becoming a watch pimp........:unsure:
Careful there @0002S...let those with no sapphire crystal cast the first stone. :ROFLMAO:. ...and we've see your extensive collection.

Just helping a few fellow members out and providing input as necessary.

Went hunting beers and gin tonight with a classy friend ;)...apart from my gorgeous wife :E Big Grin:...my 40th bday present from my mother and brother...:D Beers:...was quite a few years ago.....

View attachment 602652
We have a pretty good idea what folks wear hunting, nice to see what some are wearing with drinks at the Muthaiga club.

Just because I like to start shit.

9566B2A0-2644-4B80-9F3B-17D0F0AD04AD.JPG

That's a nice looking Flieger Uhr B. Who made it?

I have one that is almost identical down to the band that I found out later was made in China.
Correct me if I'm wrong @0002S...

I believe that is a Laco Flieger Erbstück (heirloom) that are hand aged to give the appearance of being old and well used. There were available in the Flieger Tybe B (shown in the picture) and also the Type A that lacks the minutes on the outer edge.

It's a beautiful timepiece with a rich history. Laco was one of the original suppliers commissioned to supply watches to the German Luftwaffe. Most of these were the Type B aka B-Uhr.

Correct me if I'm wrong @0002S...

I believe that is a Laco Flieger Erbstück (heirloom) that are hand aged to give the appearance of being old and well used. There were available in the Flieger Tybe B (shown in the picture) and also the Type A that lacks the minutes on the outer edge.

It's a beautiful timepiece with a rich history. Laco was one of the original suppliers commissioned to supply watches to the German Luftwaffe. Most of these were the Type B aka B-Uhr.

Yes, each one is individually hand aged. No two are alike. There are 3 levels of aging available. This example is a Level 2. Level 3 would have some of the lume missing on the hands. They come in 3 sizes in both A and B configuration.

An original WWII example would have been 55mm (vs 45mm above) and looked like this. They were worn over leather jackets. Pilots were issued them per mission and they returned them after the mission. Original examples go for $5000-$9000 depending on condition and manufacture.

Laco issued a special edition, Replika 55, a few years back that was a copy of the original. They are for sale from time to time but are huge on the wrist.

IMG_3499.jpeg

Last edited:
I had to check this one out. I'm amazed that it is made in Macon, GA and not overseas (as in China). That's quite the handsome watch.
Well the guts are just an automatic seiko so I guess Japanese. But yes put together in Macon, GA and made to be bombproof

I think the name is an homage to the watch many were issued in the bushwar

@BeeMaa is becoming a watch pimp........:unsure:
Like we needed any more enablers on this forum....
Joining AH has been the single worst financial decision of my life :E Rofl: :E Rofl::E Rofl:

Like we needed any more enablers on this forum....
Joining AH has been the single worst financial decision of my life :E Rofl: :E Rofl::E Rofl:
And to illustrate this point...

I've been looking at buying a "nice watch" for quite some time. I wanted something rock solid, that I never need to fear putting on. That when at the beach, I do not need to leave it behind out of fear of getting wet (or the more likely, I can hold it under a stream of water to wash of the blood from quartering a hunted animal). But equally a watch that will look good during the more frequent client meetings and social occasions. While keeping impeccable time, so I never need to worry about it. An automatic, but precise and built like a quartz. A rugged tank, equally at ease in the bush as with a suit in a board room meeting

IWC was always at the top of my list, the Mark XX specifically as it is just a simple and great looking watch. But it only has 10ATM water resistance.

Now you might say 10ATM is more than enough. But on my last hunt, on a particularly hot and succesful day of hunting, we jumped with the PH's in the water, and my 5 ATM watch got flooded. Now it was a cheap Swiss Military Hanowa, so not too much money lost. But I said to myself that there is no way that I'll spend big money on a nice watch, with only double the water resistance of the one that got flooded.

So I started talking with @BeeMaa, explaining my conundrum. That was my first mistake.
He is rather a big fan of Omega if you didn't know it yet :D so he put me in the direction of the Omega Seamaster Diver collection. 20ATM or more. Very precise movement. Basically checking all the boxes. I just could not really get excited personally with the dial. Then I found out about their Planet Ocean collection. Sounded like a very big hulk of a watch with 15mm thickness. But then thought to go to a watch store with the wife (who was sick and tired of me spending a few months researching watches every evening). That was mistake number two.

At first I asked the clerk if he had any Planet Ocean's in store, he said no (but I believe this was a test to know if I could even recognize one). So he started showing me some of the Seamaster Diver's. Until I pointed to the one smack in the middle of the display. A Planet Ocean, with blue dial and blue ceramic bezel. A 43.5mm one. But it seems I have big wrists, so when putting it on, it was like a glove.

Now I could have gone the grey market route, and leave the retail store priced ones next to me, but: I had done my research quite well, so I knew what the grey market price for an unused recent built (2023-2024) Planet Ocean was. I also wanted to get to know one good watch maker, so I can go to him for any future purchases from elsewhere, without shame on my cheeks, and finally I wanted to have the proper in-store purchase for a lifelong companion. Instead of the impersonal online transaction. So when it was on my wrist and I looked at my wife, she said (in French) "Well get on with it!".

Then came the sticker price. I told the clerk that I really liked this watch, but had seen it much cheaper elsewhere (online) So he went to the manager, and got me a big discount off their sticker price, to almost match the online grey market price. Well, that's where hands were shook.

Not yet been in the field (although I did some garden work yesterday), but normally will be in November in Africa. And after a few weeks, absolutely love to wear it.

IMG_9179.jpg

On a side note, and excuse my lack of the correct terms, but this watch also solved another worry I have with automatic watches with a date function. When the date needs to be changed, one should always do this outside of the hour hand being between 9:00 to 3:00. It has something to do with the gears not fully engaging in those hours, and you risk breaking some of the teeth of those gears by changing the date during those hours. (Which is quite inconvenient, as it usually is right around 9:00am when you realise you need to change the date). With this watch, you do not change the date itself, but rather you make two full rounds with the hour hand instead. Basically this worry is non-existent. And as a user you cannot manipulate the watch in such a way that it will break the mechanism.

Thanks @BeeMaa, and the many others that gave me advice! Next will be the search for one for my wife.

And to illustrate this point...

I've been looking at buying a "nice watch" for quite some time. I wanted something rock solid, that I never need to fear putting on. That when at the beach, I do not need to leave it behind out of fear of getting wet (or the more likely, I can hold it under a stream of water to wash of the blood from quartering a hunted animal). But equally a watch that will look good during the more frequent client meetings and social occasions. While keeping impeccable time, so I never need to worry about it. An automatic, but precise and built like a quartz. A rugged tank, equally at ease in the bush as with a suit in a board room meeting

IWC was always at the top of my list, the Mark XX specifically as it is just a simple and great looking watch. But it only has 10ATM water resistance.

Now you might say 10ATM is more than enough. But on my last hunt, on a particularly hot and succesful day of hunting, we jumped with the PH's in the water, and my 5 ATM watch got flooded. Now it was a cheap Swiss Military Hanowa, so not too much money lost. But I said to myself that there is no way that I'll spend big money on a nice watch, with only double the water resistance of the one that got flooded.

So I started talking with @BeeMaa, explaining my conundrum. That was my first mistake.
He is rather a big fan of Omega if you didn't know it yet :D so he put me in the direction of the Omega Seamaster Diver collection. 20ATM or more. Very precise movement. Basically checking all the boxes. I just could not really get excited personally with the dial. Then I found out about their Planet Ocean collection. Sounded like a very big hulk of a watch with 15mm thickness. But then thought to go to a watch store with the wife (who was sick and tired of me spending a few months researching watches every evening). That was mistake number two.

At first I asked the clerk if he had any Planet Ocean's in store, he said no (but I believe this was a test to know if I could even recognize one). So he started showing me some of the Seamaster Diver's. Until I pointed to the one smack in the middle of the display. A Planet Ocean, with blue dial and blue ceramic bezel. A 43.5mm one. But it seems I have big wrists, so when putting it on, it was like a glove.

Now I could have gone the grey market route, and leave the retail store priced ones next to me, but: I had done my research quite well, so I knew what the grey market price for an unused recent built (2023-2024) Planet Ocean was. I also wanted to get to know one good watch maker, so I can go to him for any future purchases from elsewhere, without shame on my cheeks, and finally I wanted to have the proper in-store purchase for a lifelong companion. Instead of the impersonal online transaction. So when it was on my wrist and I looked at my wife, she said (in French) "Well get on with it!".

Then came the sticker price. I told the clerk that I really liked this watch, but had seen it much cheaper elsewhere (online) So he went to the manager, and got me a big discount off their sticker price, to almost match the online grey market price. Well, that's where hands were shook.

Not yet been in the field (although I did some garden work yesterday), but normally will be in November in Africa. And after a few weeks, absolutely love to wear it.

View attachment 603032

On a side note, and excuse my lack of the correct terms, but this watch also solved another worry I have with automatic watches with a date function. When the date needs to be changed, one should always do this outside of the hour hand being between 9:00 to 3:00. It has something to do with the gears not fully engaging in those hours, and you risk breaking some of the teeth of those gears by changing the date during those hours. (Which is quite inconvenient, as it usually is right around 9:00am when you realise you need to change the date). With this watch, you do not change the date itself, but rather you make two full rounds with the hour hand instead. Basically this worry is non-existent. And as a user you cannot manipulate the watch in such a way that it will break the mechanism.

Thanks @BeeMaa, and the many others that gave me advice! Next will be the search for one for my wife.
That's a great story and you now have one of the finest time pieces ever built. Well done!

Citizen.
However, If interested, this was an interesting catch from Macy's. Dress but, a synthetic type rubber, sport watch. ?
View attachment 579291
No need for a yachting timer .. I don't have a yacht.
If I worked the railroad I would have to have a Ball:
Neat company history. I would think they would be a popular choice for people in that profession.

If I worked the railroad I would have to have a Ball:
Neat company history. I would think they would be a popular choice for people in that profession.
These are really nice just as well, thank you.
They take a beating in all conditions .. if your lucky enough to get your wrist through a rung for a few mile ride, is a miracle.
1714833075361.png

I live in EDT (Eastern) & work is CST (Central). I wore two watches from Walmart on a date .. she found that quite peculiar ;)

Needless to say, I never heard from her again .. Good!

image.jpg

My Aqualand Promaster sat dormant for years because it needed an overhaul, but I finally sent it to Citizen Dallas for servicing and got it back a few weeks ago. It isn’t one of my “fine” mechanical watches but I’m sentimental about it — my wife gave it to me as a wedding present and I wore it while scuba diving on our honeymoon. When she went into labor with our elder son, I timed her contractions with the stopwatch and the length between them with the rotating bezel (our son turned 30 this year). It is a fine hunting watch.

Hahaha when I hear guys say they take off their expensive watch when they travel/hunt so nothing will happen to it OR it wont get stolen OR OR OR, I think about the guy with the HOT girlfriend who says he doesnt "F" her, so she'll be nice for the next guy.....

I bought my Rolex GMT Master almost 40 years ago and Ive worn it every day since. Its jumped out of planes, seen combat in the desert and combat on the streets of Baltimore, its been in a pursuit crash at 110 MPH, and its hunted Lion in SA and Bear in Canada , and and and in the heat and the cold. When I die my son will get it and it wont be nice for the next guy. Itll look like my DRs and every scratch will have a story.....

Hahaha when I hear guys say they take off their expensive watch when they travel/hunt so nothing will happen to it OR it wont get stolen OR OR OR, I think about the guy with the HOT girlfriend who says he doesnt "F" her, so she'll be nice for the next guy.....

I bought my Rolex GMT Master almost 40 years ago and Ive worn it every day since. Its jumped out of planes, seen combat in the desert and combat on the streets of Baltimore, its been in a pursuit crash at 110 MPH, and its hunted Lion in SA and Bear in Canada , and and and in the heat and the cold. When I die my son will get it and it wont be nice for the next guy. Itll look like my DRs and every scratch will have a story.....
As it should. Cheers.

Does anyone use a watch winder?
They have their uses but it would really depend on your needs. I'll use myself as an example and I'll start from the beginning.

I have one watch that I wear primarily and it's an automatic winding watch with a power reserve of several days. This means I don't have to manually wind the watch every day. However there are purely mechanical manual wind watches like the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. After all, an automatic movement in zero gravity isn't going to work.

So I have one watch I wear all the time and another few that sit around until I have the want or occasion to wear them. When that happens, I pick them up and wind them to get them started and set the time. When I'm done, they run out of spring tension and sit there until I want to wear them again.

If you have a watch winder, you can put your watch in it to keep an automatic winding watch running. However this is the equivalent of letting your car run in the garage when you are sleeping. It creates unnecessary wear and tear on the movement. If you ABSOLUTELY have to have three or four watches all set to go, all the time, for every occasion and don't have the 1.5 minutes it takes to wind and set the time...yes, you need a watch winder.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you watch hasn't been set in several months, it's likely to be off by a good bit anyway. Even a Master Chronometer Certified watch can gain or loose -2 to +2 seconds a month, not to mention that the day/date may need to be set if you have those complications. Even the watch I wear daily will need to be reset about every two months to adjust the date and reset the time that's off by a few seconds, so a watch winder doesn't work for me.

Example 2. My wife has four automatic watches and she rotates them weekly. No watch winder. On Sunday she pulls the next one out of the vault, sets the time and goes on with her day. Pretty simple.

For most people, it's much better to save your Amazon account and typical buyers remorse that's sure to happen. It's really just stuff, and not very good stuff either. Most of it is cheap Chineese junk that I wouldn't trust to be running on my dresser. As a reward for being strong and making good decisions, go treat yourself to a tasty breakfast sandwich and coffee at a local shop. Spend those dollars where it counts.

They have their uses but it would really depend on your needs. I'll use myself as an example and I'll start from the beginning.

I have one watch that I wear primarily and it's an automatic winding watch with a power reserve of several days. This means I don't have to manually wind the watch every day. However there are purely mechanical manual wind watches like the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. After all, an automatic movement in zero gravity isn't going to work.

So I have one watch I wear all the time and another few that sit around until I have the want or occasion to wear them. When that happens, I pick them up and wind them to get them started and set the time. When I'm done, they run out of spring tension and sit there until I want to wear them again.

If you have a watch winder, you can put your watch in it to keep an automatic winding watch running. However this is the equivalent of letting your car run in the garage when you are sleeping. It creates unnecessary wear and tear on the movement. If you ABSOLUTELY have to have three or four watches all set to go, all the time, for every occasion and don't have the 1.5 minutes it takes to wind and set the time...yes, you need a watch winder.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you watch hasn't been set in several months, it's likely to be off by a good bit anyway. Even a Master Chronometer Certified watch can gain or loose -2 to +2 seconds a month, not to mention that the day/date may need to be set if you have those complications. Even the watch I wear daily will need to be reset about every two months to adjust the date and reset the time that's off by a few seconds, so a watch winder doesn't work for me.

Example 2. My wife has four automatic watches and she rotates them weekly. No watch winder. On Sunday she pulls the next one out of the vault, sets the time and goes on with her day. Pretty simple.

For most people, it's much better to save your Amazon account and typical buyers remorse that's sure to happen. It's really just stuff, and not very good stuff either. Most of it is cheap Chineese junk that I wouldn't trust to be running on my dresser. As a reward for being strong and making good decisions, go treat yourself to a tasty breakfast sandwich and coffee at a local shop. Spend those dollars where it counts.
Makes perfect sense (y) (y)

I wasn’t aware there was such a thing until I saw it mentioned somewhere and I was intrigued. As you know, mine is an automatic BUT I don’t wear it at work so my wear time per week is pretty limited. I will do it the right way (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GordonBees

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.