Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
The wife and I are in the planning stages of our second safari.
Our first was more of a whirlwind that went by in the blink of an eye because we were so busy hunting.
We finished with 10 animals from 3 camps in South Africa in just 8 days...we were busy.
Our last couple of days were much more relaxing and as we talk about it now, that's what we want for our second safari.
Something a little more relaxing and slower paced.

With that in mind we have each picked a primary animal to hunt with a few others that would be nice.
Of course, we will take what Africa gives and if a monster old (insert animal here) shows up, it may come home with us.
Not looking to take more than 5 or 6 total on our planned 10 day trip to South Africa.
One thing my wife is really looking forward to doing a walk with the lions and to by honest, I am as well.
There are a few other things we want to do, but mostly taking our time hunting this time around is the plan.

I wanted to know from the membership, what was your second (or third...) safari all about compared to your first?
Did you hunt, hunt, hunt or stop and smell the roses a little more?
See the sights, zip line, camera safari, Kruger NP, Vic Falls, Origins of Humankind....?

We went to Botswana for buffalo and elephant. One camp, no running around. Once the big guys were in the salt we went bird hunting, did a game drive/picnic in Chobe and just enjoyed being there. It was awesome.

Hadn't even thought about birds...appreciate it @WAB
Gonna have to look into that.

Reactions: WAB
Hunt and take in the sights! I went after Cape buff as well as more PG on my second safari, as well as some sightseeing and a round of golf!

Second was a Zimbabwe elephant and buffalo hunt. Tent camp out in the bush, saw lots of elephants, walked with them, now that I think back on it, dangerously close. Preceding that trip we rented a car and spent a few days in Kruger, on our own.

However on our first, after 9 days, two camps, 16 critters total, 5 of those taken by my wife.... Then we slowed down and spent another 11 days touring. Did Ado Park and Shamwari dinner thing which got us close to lions. Rented a small SUV and drove the garden route from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. It was fantastic!

I'll list my third safari because it included my spouse. We went to Namibia and hunted with Nick Nolte with whom I had taken my leopard on my first safari. He and Isabel are wonderful folks. We were there for ten days, and all I wanted was a large oryx, another blue wildebeest (the hides are fabulous rugs), and a good warthog. Nancy is not a hunter, and a day in the bush is not her thing. So, we spent two days at Etosha National Park, three days at Swakopmund four-wheeling and exploring the Skeleton coast, and a full day and night enjoying Windhoek. Time wise it was more like one of our European trips than a typical trip to Africa. If we do it again, it will include some meaningful time around Capetown and the South African wine country.

I will mention that my wife is quite the hunter and puts her time in at the range and in the blind with no complaints.
That said, she also enjoys taking in cultural activities that I would normally take a pass on for more hunting.
Her being around for hunting is important to me and my being around for the culture is important for her.
I'm thankful for having a wife who hunts AND takes the time to enjoy the ride along with the destination.
When on holiday (hunting or otherwise), we spend most of our time together making "shared" memories.

We are very much looking forward to

Yes, I'm a lucky man...as are many of you.

The wife and I are in the planning stages of our second safari.
Our first was more of a whirlwind that went by in the blink of an eye because we were so busy hunting.
We finished with 10 animals from 3 camps in South Africa in just 8 days...we were busy.
Our last couple of days were much more relaxing and as we talk about it now, that's what we want for our second safari.
Something a little more relaxing and slower paced.

With that in mind we have each picked a primary animal to hunt with a few others that would be nice.
Of course, we will take what Africa gives and if a monster old (insert animal here) shows up, it may come home with us.
Not looking to take more than 5 or 6 total on our planned 10 day trip to South Africa.
One thing my wife is really looking forward to doing a walk with the lions and to by honest, I am as well.
There are a few other things we want to do, but mostly taking our time hunting this time around is the plan.

I wanted to know from the membership, what was your second (or third...) safari all about compared to your first?
See the sights, zip line, camera safari, Kruger NP, Vic Falls, Origins of Humankind....?
Just being in one camp with little windshield time would be most important for me.

Just being in one camp with little windshield time would be most important for me.
That's what we are thinking as well, one lodge for the duration.
My primary is Buffalo with my wife wanting Red Hartebeest or possibly Black/Golden Wildebeest.
Throw in some night hunting for Bushpig...etc.
I know Buff & Bushpig will be available at the place we want to stay along with Black Wildebeest...but the others, probably not.
Maybe we can do a day trip to a near by lodge.

3rd time over we spent 3days at Vic Falls and we loved it. Trip to a bone. Extra activities made the trip!
Ruce

My first trip was northern Namibia, just south of Etosha National Park. So aside from hunting we had three days of touring the park, well worth it. My third trip was the East Cape of South Africa. After noticing mention of the Garden Route I did some research and eventually worked out nine days of road trip from Grahamstown to Capetown hitting some of the Garden Route, the Great Karoo and Klein Karoo regions and finally Cape Point National Park before hopping on the plane. It was a little bit of everything. If I do it again I'd do as many days but half or less of the spots and spend more time at each. Car rental was easy and google maps worked the whole time so I never really used the map I brought.

My first trip to Africa, specifically Namibia, was last year. It was my daughters trip and her objective was a Kudu. I did not shoot any animals. On that trip, we hunted hard, wind was terrible for bow hunting, and we really only had one day to 'relax' so we spent the night at Erindi. Even that trip was rushed and we only went on the afternoon game drive.
I decided to go back, this time for me. Objective, a Hartmann's Zebra. Hunted 12 days, played on the 13th and went to Naankuse Wildlife Lodge & Sanctuary just west of Windhoek. Well worth the trip there, very enjoyable.
The second trip was a pure hunting trip, I had a lot of animals on my list, and I was willing to sit in a blind from sunup to sundown if need be. I was in AFRICA, why wouldn't I want to be in a blind all day watching animals!!! :D
If I am fortunate enough to ever make a third trip I'd probably have less animals on my list. I'd still book a trip for 10-13 days, but I'd include more sightseeing excursions.
The airfare is the same regardless whether you spend 6 days or 13 days in country, I figure why not stay longer and do/see more?
Regardless, I'm hooked on Africa.

If I were you I’d forget the lodges and go into the bush. A remote bush camp is an absolutely amazing experience. My favorite bush camps have been in Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana.

My second was for a tuskless elephant, one lodge, 1 million acres to roam. It was a wild trip and I truly enjoyed it.

Not sure I would recommend elephant for your second trip, but I would recommend a more "off the beaten path" safari and get to see some of the more remote areas of Africa.

If I were you I’d forget the lodges and go into the bush. A remote bush camp is an absolutely amazing experience. My favorite bush camps have been in Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana.
I just mentioned this to my wife and she's game for it...
Never thought I would be the one saying "well let's just hold on a minute here" when it comes to hunting...but you never know.
It does sound like a wicked good time.

Edit - Wife did just add that it would not be for the entire trip, but would be fine for a few days.
Damn I married a good woman.

My first safari was all about getting a buffalo and hopefully some PG in Zimbabwe. My wife went with me and it was going to be my only safari.
A few years later my wife got tired of my talking about going back and told me to just go. God I love this woman.
For safari #2 I wanted to hunt PG in a different location. As I met Jamy Traut when looking for safari #1, I long ago decided if I got to go back I wanted to hunt with him. As my brother is an avid photographer, I had invited him along on the first safari but he declined. When he saw some of my pictures he decided he had to come along on the second.
Hunting would be for PG in the desert and include species I didn’t get in Zim: eland, hartebeest, gemsbok, steinbok, springbok, blesbok and black wildebeest. All successfully taken.
Now I hope my wife tells me to “just go” again. I’d love to hunt buffalo again.

That's what we are thinking as well, one lodge for the duration.
My primary is Buffalo with my wife wanting Red Hartebeest or possibly Black/Golden Wildebeest.
Throw in some night hunting for Bushpig...etc.
I know Buff & Bushpig will be available at the place we want to stay along with Black Wildebeest...but the others, probably not.
Maybe we can do a day trip to a near by lodge.
Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck.

Well my first safari was all about - hunting, and discovery of Africa as hunter.

My second safari was mostly about hunting, continue discovering African new frontiers - this time hunting in Kalahari, plus bringing my son to Africa where he shot his first animal - warthog (he is 15, and I have been training and coaching him for that moment, for last 2 years)

By the time, when my 2nd safari is completed, I relized that I have collected African disease bug. But also, I have collected my top priority PG trophies.

So, plan for 3rd safari is more wide in goals, when compared to strictly trophy collecting, as first safari.
So: for 3rd safari, wife or any of the kids will be offered to go with me(have two kids), planning to hunt only 2 trophy animals (eland and waterbuck), if time allows will do some meet hunt, but the real non-hunting event will be touring the country to see historic sights, and make two days trip to Etosha national park, for photo safari.

#1 was for common plains game.
#2 was buffalo only with the requirement for hunting on foot only and shoot iron sights at 25 to 30 yards.
#3 was for less common plains game and specialized mountains game.
#4 (Sept 2020) will be focused on a monster free range bushbuck, a monster free range Vaal Rhebok, day bush pig, continuing the tiny ten (Duiker, Grysbok, Klipspringer), and getting a good Springbok.
#5 will likely be tuskless elephant and buff again.

@One Day...
Tuskless elephant plan is for Zimbabwe, I presume?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.