What velocity for 30-06 and 240gr Woodlegh PP?

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius, Namibia
Just wondering if someone is shooting this combo, and what velocities you're getting.

I did some simulations in GRT, and it seemed like I would reach something like 720 m/s at the muzzle. (approx. 2350fps).

My chronograph told a different story. 670 m/s (2200fps) at the muzzle and 2000fps at 100 metres (110yds), which is thw minimum impact velocity according to Woodleigh.

That is with a load of 57.5 gr Norma MRP-2, which is a rather slow "magnum" powder. At that load and seating depth the case is 103% full, i.e. a slightly compressed load.

Could/should move to a faster powder I guess, but curious of other peoples experiences.

I don't think you will find many other shooters going that heavy in the '06 where the normal heavy is 220 and most don't shoot that. But at 2200fps which is just under 2600 ft/lbs of energy, its pretty anemic. So if determined to use this bullet, you will need to try other powders.

To see how fast it can be driven. I get it. Heaviest I have loaded in the 06 is 200 and got about 2600fps. Pretty formidable. I have a box of old Barnes bullets in .30 cal, 250 grs!! Just sitting in the cabinet unused though...

To see how fast it can be driven. I get it. Heaviest I have loaded in the 06 is 200 and got about 2600fps. Pretty formidable. I have a box of old Barnes bullets in .30 cal, 250 grs!! Just sitting in the cabinet unused though...

Your first sentence I'll go with.

The 06 is about the most abusively overloaded round that I know of.

I don't have a lot of experience with the 30-06 but you might try MRP and drop down several grains, say 53.0, and work up incrementally in a latter test to find top pressure and velocity. I don't know your C.O.A.L. but I would seat the bullet at SAAMI or CIP specs to start.

Woodleigh shows RL22 start at 48.0 - 2130f/s and Max at 53.0 for 2380 f/s and N560 start at 50.5 - 2140 f/s and max at 55.0 - 2355 f/s. MRP should be very similar to these two powders. Hope this helps.

I wonder what anyone who loads a bullet that heavy into an 06 is trying to achieve.

You are correct. It is a rather heavy bullet for the calibre, but I got myself a box of 50 just to see what it could do. I usually shoot Lapua Mega and Norma Oryx 200's - but I recently got myself the heavy Woodleighs, along with some 220's from Sako, Sierra and Hornady.

The interesting thing is that Woodleigh lists these bullets as "30-06". I.e not explicitly for any of the 300 mags.

I don't have a lot of experience with the 30-06 but you might try MRP and drop down several grains, say 53.0, and work up incrementally in a latter test to find top pressure and velocity. I don't know your C.O.A.L. but I would seat the bullet at SAAMI or CIP specs to start.

Yep - MRP is the next candidate on the list. That is what I use for the 200's. As for COL I seated the bullets 1 mm off the lands (1/25 in), for a total length of 85.5 mm.

Woodleigh shows RL22 start at 48.0 - 2130f/s and Max at 53.0 for 2380 f/s and N560 start at 50.5 - 2140 f/s and max at 55.0 - 2355 f/s. MRP should be very similar to these two powders. Hope this helps.

Thank you for those figures. RL22 should be quite close to MRP, as they're made at the same plant, with the same specification or 'recipe'.

Velocity aside, I was quite pleased with the results. I only made 5 cartridges with this one load. One shot is 'missing' due to chronograph testing. 100 m / 110 yds. 22 mm / 0.85in group.

20200607_160410.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I can’t help, but 200 gr is the max I have used in my 30-06s. 2,576 fps is a hot load in my Rem 700. It is an elk killer and accurate. Either Nosler Partitions or Swift A-frames work well as in 1/2-3/4” at 100 yards.
I too am curious how the 240s work. Not interested in using them, but I enjoy experimenting!

Personally, I find the Woodleigh 180gr PPSN to be the ideal projectile in my Ruger 30/06. It just pole-axes everything I've hit with it so far - including African PG. My daughter also used it to roll her water buffalo. IMHO if you need to push the calibre/bullet to extreme pressures/velocity, why not just go up to a 300 Win Mag?

The interesting thing is that Woodleigh lists these bullets as "30-06". I.e not explicitly for any of the 300 mags.
It'd be interesting to ask Geoff at Woodleigh's why. Woodleigh has always advised staying within the velocities for their bullets, so could it be in this case that your bullets are intended only for the 30/06? (n)

If you are not getting enough penetration with 220 grain I don’t think 240 is going to help. Time to step up in caliber.
You are probably right - I'm just experimenting here. I was curious, as I found it hard to get a viable load. Given the load tested, it would work great for short range work, say 0-50 meters. But that's a pretty narrow scenario. If something heavy - that 'needs' a big pill - is on the menu, it's probably better to bring the 9.3. :)

Personally, I find the Woodleigh 180gr PPSN to be the ideal projectile in my Ruger 30/06. It just pole-axes everything I've hit with it so far - including African PG. My daughter also used it to roll her water buffalo. IMHO if you need to push the calibre/bullet to extreme pressures/velocity, why not just go up to a 300 Win Mag?

It'd be interesting to ask Geoff at Woodleigh's why. Woodleigh has always advised staying within the velocities for their bullets, so could it be in this case that your bullets are intended only for the 30/06? (n)

Agree. I don't have a 300 WM, but other rifles though, should the need arise.

As I said initially, Woodleigh lists this bullet as for the 30-06, with a recommended impact velocity of 2400-2000 fps. I'm not sure I could even get it up to 2400 at the muzzle with reasonable pressures. And with the one and only load I tested it was only good out to 100 meters. Could probably extend that by switching to a slightly faster powder.

Oh well, that rifle is now with the stock maker, and I won't be seeing it until Christmas at best.

C
You are probably right - I'm just experimenting here. I was curious, as I found it hard to get a viable load. Given the load tested, it would work great for short range work, say 0-50 meters. But that's a pretty narrow scenario. If something heavy - that 'needs' a big pill - is on the menu, it's probably better to bring the 9.3. :)
ouldnt agree more the 9.3 was designed for heavy for caliber pills. A 286 grain will defiantly penetrate any critter currently walking our planet yeti’s included.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross