What type and brand of cell phone do you use?

I use a 14 Pro Max and couldn’t be happier. Camera is awesome and BaseMap is excellent for hunting. And now has emergency satellite messaging. I still carry a true sat phone in the wilds as well.
iPhone seems to be going the same way blackberry did, it is inevitable.

I used a mid-ranged Telstra phone (TSE I think) simply because it had the slot for an external arial to plug into. Needed this in places I hunt. Now they don't make phones with that anymore seriously thinking about going back to a flip phone as they tend to have better range. I am the type that uses a phone as a phone and not a mobile computer so do not need it to do my maths, change my socks, wipe my arse or anything else the lates claim they can do.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

Works fine, best battery life I've had from a smartphone, quick, plenty durable enough and waterproof.

I've got absolutely no time for anything Apple makes and I've had Samsung phones for the last 10 years, so was a fairly easy choice.
I've got a Samsung S21 Ultra as well. With a good case and screen protector, it's essentially indestructible.

I also have the Samsung stylus with mine. Makes it easy to use even when I'm in the woods in freezing temperatures with thick gloves on.

A key thing with Samsung is the easy access to SIM cards. Makes it simple to switch when you're in a foreign country. Apple is moving to e-SIM. Not sure how that's going to work out internationally.

LOL. Not likely.

14 Pro Max. Fabulous piece of equipment. Never leave home without it.

I like carrying a computer with full internet access, google maps, and amazing camera in my pocket that will also act as a telephone - world-wide. I can manage my bank account, check investments, summon an Uber, whatsap a friend or outfitter, or watch a game on the device in my pocket. Verizon's international plan has been superb wherever I have gone with cell service. I own a Satphone for those truly out of the way destinations.

Last edited:
I tried Verizon's international plan this past June. I tried making a call in Doha and in Joberg and neither one worked.

I did however get a text saying that my 24 hour access had started and that I was billed for that 24 hours. I am on a prepaid plan with Verizon but I had more than enough money on my plan that I had prepaid before leaving home.

iPhone 13, I will not get another iPhone until Apple changes over to USB-C, which thankfully the EU has forced Apple to move to.

I will never go back to a Android phone.

I use T-mobile, it’s great for international, fixed cost of .25 a minute, free texting, free WiFi calling back to the USA, free 2G data (you can check email but. It much more). I buy a data plan when out of country, it’s cheap. USA, Canada, and Mexico unlimited calls.

Ha!…In a pig’s eye!

I phone 13 here, great mini computer. Does everything I need and more. Will get the latest iteration soon. Apple is on the cutting edge of all things technology. From phone /computer to ear pods to airtags( great for tracking your luggage), TV etc…car likely forthcoming. Amazing US based company!

Use T-mobile and have been satisfied. No problems in most places I have traveled in US/Canada/Mexico.

Have no experience with android, so can’t speak to it. I know many who prefer it though.

Good luck in your research.

I like a phone that is somewhat compact. My old Samsung Galaxy (S4 Mini?) fits in most of my shirt pockets easily. It is old enough that it won't take the latest versions of Android, so also won't load some current apps. I rarely have it connected to the interwebs, unless I need to use it to connect my laptop. I mainly use: camera (not that great), calendar, SMS, calculator, password calculator for my online bank.

iPhone 13 Pro. Great phone, camera and just about everything I can think of in my pocket.

Pair it with a Garmin Inreach Mini and I can text from anywhere in the world (literally).

My only negative is the size. I carry it in my front shirt pocket and wish it was smaller size like my old I7. That said, they do have a mini size but AT&T store didn't have the mini in stock and I didn't want to wait for one.

iPhone 13 mini. I would have liked the extra camera performance of the pro, but did not want to shell out the extra 3-400 EUR. I do prefer the mini version. I don't want a tablet to be riding in my pocket. This is still a phone after all. If I want dedicated mobile computing, I'll take a tablet.

V.

I am on a contract so get a new iphone every year, but my daughters take turns ghapsing it. Then I get that one a year later. I think I am on a 13 now, it is amazing how good the camera is on these things, I need no better.

I thought the modern phone cameras were great till I printed some pictures. They are ok, but no more than that. For viewing on a screen perhaps good enough, and the convenience and ease of use is great. But the physical size of the lens is a limiting factor, no matter how many pixels the squeeze in the sensor behind it. Then again I enjoy photography so might be a bit anal about it.

I use iPhone 11 Pro and Iridium 9575. The pro model had a much bigger battery which is why I chose that one. Will probably upgrade to new one with the next edition.

I am using 2nd hand mobiles from my kids. Have no idea abot model and brand.

Most of Alaska doesn’t have cell coverage so I carry an Iridium Sat phone. Where there is cell coverage 51% of the time it’s AT&T so an iPhone 11. 49% is covered by GCI which Verizon partnered with so I also have an iPhone 11 with Verizon. And of course an inReach.

I thought the modern phone cameras were great till I printed some pictures. They are ok, but no more than that. For viewing on a screen perhaps good enough, and the convenience and ease of use is great. But the physical size of the lens is a limiting factor, no matter how many pixels the squeeze in the sensor behind it. Then again I enjoy photography so might be a bit anal about it.

I use iPhone 11 Pro and Iridium 9575. The pro model had a much bigger battery which is why I chose that one. Will probably upgrade to new one with the next edition.
You really should check out the Iphone 14 pro. Photo quality is simply amazing. You should be absolutely correct with respect to lens limitations. However, I create photo books with many 11x14 full page enlargements and my Nikon doesn't do a bit better. Night mode, an automatic feature on the 14 is unique in my photography experience.

This is a photo of St. Martins in Cologne. It was taken about 9 PM in October well after twilight. Like most landmarks in Germany it was not illuminated due to energy constraints. To the naked eye the building was dark. The only ambient light was from neighboring restaurants and a few walkway lights. The camera switched to night mode, stabilized the image and the result is astonishing.

St. Marks.jpg

I should note for those with any interest in the history of the church, it was virtually destroyed during the war and its complete reconstruction was only finished in 1985. Its previous reconstruction had been following a fire in the 13th century.

Last edited:
I'll be the oddball: never owned one. At all. I catch grief from my daughters aaalllll the time. :rolleyes:

Living in AK, and going on fly out hunts, I do have an older model Iridium sat phone. It has never let me down.
I've considered going Sat phone and just being done with it but can't justify it.....yet

I tried Verizon's international plan this past June. I tried making a call in Doha and in Joberg and neither one worked.

I did however get a text saying that my 24 hour access had started and that I was billed for that 24 hours. I am on a prepaid plan with Verizon but I had more than enough money on my plan that I had prepaid before leaving home.
I enabled Verizon's international plan when I went to RSA too. Tried it multiple times. Never worked. But that might be for a different thread. LOL

Here in the USA the 3 major networks (AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile) are phasing out the 3G phone signal.
I found out this week by losing the ability to call or receive calls, that my phone is 3G even though I have read it's 4G LTE. --Samsung Galaxy S7
I am debating on going back to a non-smartphone. Talk, Text, and Camera only
My last 2 phones were also IP68 rated for durability because of the sometimes-harsh environments I have found myself in. (S7 and Casio Boulder)
What types of phones do you use? Have you gone non-smartphone? Do you consider the IP68 rating? How do you like what you have?
-Jeff
In the past I have been accused of being a technophobe because of my desire to keep things simple. My response is typically: No, just the opposite. I have been working with, on, or installing various computer systems since 1983. I am hesitant because I know a bit about what computers and people are capable of.
Great input so far. Still haven't decided

I use iPhone 11Pro. Great phone but I’m about to upgrade to a 14. Because of my work, I live on my phone, it’s constantly with me. In October of ‘21 I was hunting in Mlele, western Tanzania. We had satellite Wi-Fi in camp and clients who called or texted never knew I was out of town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dianne1092

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.