AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, Canada, West Germany, Namibia, Romania, South Africa
I've got the brass, the bullets, a set of RCBS reloading dies and thought I was ready to reload. Went to my old RCBS Rockchucker and -- surprise! -- the frame opening is too short! There literally isn't enough room to place a bullet in the case. Hadn't thought about that. So now it looks like I'm in the market for another press.

I'm sure that some of you reload for the big NE cartridges. What do you recommend? I want to start looking online and at the better gun shows to see if I can find something used but in good condition.

Thanks!

Rcbs Rockchucker IV Supreme has worked well for me - I have reloaded for the 450NE 3.25” , 500/450 and the 416 Rigby . All in the same league as the 450/400

Had a similar problem with an older Rockchucker, bought a IV and works great.
However I was able to seat the bullets in my oldie by placing the bullet up in the seating die and then placing the case in the shell holder .seated just fine, if too long to get out —back off the die. After all how many will you load?

However I was able to seat the bullets in my oldie by placing the bullet up in the seating die and then placing the case in the shell holder .seated just fine, if too long to get out —back off the die. After all how many will you load?

This is basically what I do to load my .470 on my RockChucker. I can't place the bullet in the case mouth without interference from the press. So I "feed" the bullet into the die opening and then bring the brass up to it. But I can do this with the brass already in the shellholder.

So rather than setting the bullet in the case mouth and then raising the brass, I set the bullet in the die mouth if you will. It makes loading the big cases a little more challenging, but not a big deal. You may want to try that first.

Thanks, gents. I did try setting the bullets in first, and that works albeit slow and somewhat awkward. Good enough for now, but I may still look for a new press in the future, especially if I can find a used one at the right price. I saw reference online to the RCBS Summit and the Redding UltraMag; anyone have experience with those?

Luvthunt: Good point, I probably won't load a huge quantity. At the moment I just want to work up some handloads and see what regulates best from my rifle. Once I settle on a service load, I may start producing in quantity but even then doubt that I will load more than 50 or 100 in a session. Eventually I want to produce some reduced practice loads but with the shorter/lighter bullets there won't be the same problems with OAL.

I own a Redding UltraMag. I use it to reload my 470 NE. I does an excellent job, although I prefer my Rockchucker for most of my reloading. I can access the round I’m reloading from either side with the Rockchucker. The UltraMag boxes the round in and can only be accessed from the front. Ergonomically the Rockchucker wins for me. That being said, I’m not loading more then 20 or 40 rounds at a time with the UltraMag, so it’s not that big of an inconvenience.
IMG_0240.JPG

I've considered getting one of those Ultra Mags but I do most of my reloading either with a 40 year old Rockchucker or with Wilson tools. A few of the longer cartridges need to be cantilevered into the die if they are seating a long bullet, but similarly to noted above, those cartridges are shot but a few times per year, so inconvenience is small. So I'll likely stay with what I've got.

Look at the RCBS Ammomaster. It's made for the big stuff, even the 50 BMG being a cinch. It does have a larger thread profile, though, so most dies will require bushing.

Thanks, gents. I'll use the Rockchucker for now, and keep one eye skinned for a used press as well.

The Lee Classic Cast press in foreground or the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme in the background as others have mentioned. Both will load my 470 NE rounds

D93549D2-CF75-442C-A3EB-8B25BE698BD9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Forster Co-Ax. With the long rounds (9.3x74R, 470NE) you have to feed the bullet into the die but it works.

I have been using the LEE 50 BMG press for all my longer rounds.

Thanks again, gentlemen. I think we have a path forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg