What is your favorite plains game animal to hunt

Keep in mind, just because there is Mtn Reedbuck, does not mean there is Vaal Rhebuck.

But, it is possible where their ranges overlap. There is nothing like thinking you are going up after a Vaalie and then bump into those Mt Reedbuck that were hiding in the grass.

We were hunting vallies one day and peeked over the edge of the cliff and saw an absolute monster of a mountain reedbuck. No question he was the largest I'll ever see. Not wanting to spook any vallies in the area we decided to pass. The sight of that monster buck still haunts me!

But, it is possible where their ranges overlap. There is nothing like thinking you are going up after a Vaalie and then bump into those Mt Reedbuck that were hiding in the grass.

Absolutely, their ranges can overlap and do, I agree. I've seen them run together in a combined group. You can pretty much always run into a Mountain Reedbuck while hunting Vaalies, but not the other way around. Where Vaalies occur, it is high enough for Mountain Reedbuck, but hunting Mountain Reedbuck is not necessarily high enough for Vaalies. I'm also not just speaking about the physical height up the mountain, but also in a reference of how far you are inland and the altitude of the area in general.

Bsto270 welcome to the Eastern Cape,

My favorite plains game, not necessary in this order:
Kudu- for the stalk and the iconic view of Africa connected with Kudu.
Bushbok- for the fun and exciting stalk, if the outfitter has a decent area it's not a difficult hunt, but very exciting.
Mountain reedbuck- for the stalk in open and hilly/mountainous terrain.
Duiker- For a relatively inexpensive amount, the stalk for Common Duiker is exciting and challenging, similar to Bushbok. Many Duikers are shot on opportunity and they are "everywhere", but if concentrating on finding a big ram, the challenge is there.
Impala- for the meat;-)

Enjoy the hunt, whichever animal you choose to go after.

//Gus

Kudu.......or Bushbuck.....

After 5 hunts in Africa I would rate Bushbucks no 1.So many types I have hunted Chobe and eastern cape bush bucks but there is so many others. John

Zebra was my #1 on my first trip and I took another this past year. I just have a thing for that animal, while others I hunt with have limited interest.

Kudu was my #1 this past year.

But I'll never forget the first animals, a small mixed group of zebra and blue wildebeest that we came upon on my first trip. It was magical!

You should add/consider blesbok, impala, and zebra if time, money and opportunity presents itself on this trip. As far as my favorite plains game animal to hunt it would be a tracking hunt for eland....nothing else quite like it.... fun and challenging.
Good luck! and enjoy your trip.

I am not sure on what the operator is charging for trophy fees but Impala is always one of the less expensive animals and gorgeous. Tall antlers and beautiful mount. If money is an issue then I would drop the Kudu and add 2-4 more animals. Impala, Springbok, and zebra or gemsbok. Again depending on the fees, I think an African safari is where the saying "more bang for your buck" started!!!!!:A Thumbs Up:

I do love Kudu though.

Last thought is you might just want to save as much as you can and go over with just the money. This is Africa and every great plan is tossed out the window when looking at a trophy through the cross-hairs.

My avatar says it all. I am addicted to Bushbuck hunting and try to go after one each chance I get!

For your wife, Kudu, Warthog, Zebra. you Bushbuck, Eland, Nyala and flip :E Horrified:a coin on who get a Gemsbok

For your wife, Kudu, Warthog, Zebra. you Bushbuck, Eland, Nyala and flip :E Horrified:a coin on who get a Gemsbok

Man I do like that line up Lol. Our current package is fairly close (she is headed after a Kudu and Warthog for sure, and I am after a Bushbuck along with Mtn. Reedbuck and Bushpig). As far as anything else would go, I definitely like your ideas (if I had a higher ceiling a Gemsbok would be #1 on the list). I keep hearing from guys on here about how awesome Eland are. I do love Nyala as far as looks go, it would depend largely on how many bucks I could get besides the trip costs saved up.

Right now the list that the wife and I are working with is Kudu (her), Warthog (her), Bushpig (myself), Mtn. Reedbuck (myself) and Bushbuck (myself). We will be in the Eastern Cape.

For me it's Mountain Reedbuck - GREAT eating, lots of fun to hunt, lots of glassing and open hillsides. Just what the Doctor ordered for a guy who hunts in the south Georgia pines!!

As other's have stated, NOTHING says Africa like Impala, nothing says South Africa like Springbuck.

For me it's Mountain Reedbuck - GREAT eating, lots of fun to hunt, lots of glassing and open hillsides. Just what the Doctor ordered for a guy who hunts in the south Georgia pines!!

As other's have stated, NOTHING says Africa like Impala, nothing says South Africa like Springbuck.

I have a Mtn. Reedbuck firmly on my list. I am excited, as its awful thick up here in PA most places I hunt too. A nice change of scenery.

Like we know, the blue wildebeest is a tough animal, therefor it will always be a challenge! I have taken quite a few, proud to say that I have loaded all of them. I still study them every time I go out to shoot one. Shot placement on these are vital!

Great stuff one and all. My wife asked the other day what I want for Christmas. I didnt answer her yet but I am starting to think the answer will be trophy fee money :W A Rifle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaHoola

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!