What is your favorite plains game animal to hunt

It was a bit of picking one and also a bit of seeing what folks out there have really enjoyed the most. What really stood out for them. I'm also a bit curious what the PH enjoys hunting the most to a degree.

Taking the package first will depend on if you pay for it if you don't take it or not and that should have been worked out already. If you have a hard list hunt your list first and only take something extra if you want to. I think a list is a good thing for the first trip unless you have that much cash it does not matter.

Hit it on the head Bill. The current plan is to hunt the list and see whatever pops us as an extra budget allowing of course.

So things are quickly coming to shape for my trip next year. Booked up with one of the sponsor outfitters here, booking airfare through Lori at Travel Express (hopefully today). My wife and I are shooting whenever we can, walking/hiking, and getting things lined up in general. We have a list of about 5 species we are pursuing between us, but are discussing and saving to hopefully be able to take a few more if we get the opportunity. Since this is my first trip over, I am curious which species the members who have been over before enjoyed pursuing the most? Also any particular reasons? Thanks.
I would say Bushbuck. They are an amazing animal!

I just returned from my first safari 3 weeks ago and I took Kudu, Zebra, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbok and warthog. They where all fun to hunt and I would do it again in a heart beat but I had the most fun hunting the McDonalds of the savanna, Impala and Blesbok. Due to the large number of both animals you can be very picky about which one you take, once you find the one you want the hunt is on, trying to stalk close to either one of these animals is a real challenge especially the Blesbok.

Yep the Blesbok rams just seem yo keep moving all the time!

This is some good advice for sure. I actually have always wanted to do Gemsbok, but just like you said, would happily do it in NM. In addition, my current home is not set up to even do a skull mount (which is what I am doing with most, except the Kudu. If my wife gets one we would likely do a pedestal) of one. I am quite intrigued by the smaller antelopes of Africa. Not quite up to going full on pursue the tiny 10 yet, but I have done a lot of research into sizes of animals.

Gemsbok is a great African hunt; seeing a herd across a plain that is dotted by scrub trees, grass and those satanic little cactus, is awesome. Making your way up on them is a challenge. To me it was a great "African" experience. But, consider whether you want a bull or not. Cows have super long spectacular horns while the bulls have more mass. Both are cool trophies.

The Kudu is probably one of the most graceful and elegant creatures I will ever hunt.

I wasn't going to hunt Zebra and then I did. Who knew? I am glad I did and I would do so again. They are wary creatures so you will have to work for that privilege.

In the end you will have a wonderful time, so there honestly is no wrong decision. And, to share it with your wife will be very cool. Have fun.

All the spiral horned 'lopes. Start working on your Southern Spiral Slam. You may get 2-3 on your first trip.

I really enjoyed the challenge of hunting kudu. They were wary, difficult to spot among the foliage and rocks, and are so stunning when you find them. After looking for kudu for days, countless failed stalks, rifle issues, etc etc, i finally spotted my kudu on a hillside not 200 yards away, casually looking at me. A perfect shot brought him bucking down the hill towards us, where he ultimately expired after less than 25 yards of running. What a hunt!

In truth, I think its the hunt, the effort, the highs and lows, its those things that make it my favorite- not the species specifically.

Here's my kudu:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
my favorite hunt in south Africa was mountain reed buck,
lots of walking and glassing , lots of each
in south Africa next I want to try vaalirhebok ...,
but we have a wee challenge going at the moment ... of a blue duiker , walk and stalk with our bows , so at this present time , blue duiker is my favorite

my favorite hunt in south Africa was mountain reed buck,
lots of walking and glassing , lots of each
in south Africa next I want to try vaalirhebok ...,
but we have a wee challenge going at the moment ... of a blue duiker , walk and stalk with our bows , so at this present time , blue duiker is my favorite

Bluey it's been a while, good to hear from you! I am looking forward to that challenge to go find a reed buck. Glad to hear you are staying busy chasing those blue duiker!

#1 Kudu- there is nothing like seeing a herd lift their tails and run.

#2 Red Hartebeest- they have eyes like a hawk and a nose like a whitetail. You won't get one by accident!

#3 Zebra- an icon of Africa and a cunning animal that is hard to hunt.

#4 Warthog- never miss a chance to take a warthog. So much fun!

Enjoy your safari,
Philip

Would have to be kudu, mountain zebra, then gemsbok for me.

Barbary sheep in West TX is a spot and stalk hunters dream....and very challenging.

A few things to bear in mind in Africa are that:

1) You'll never shoot a cheaper gemsbok, kudu, Barbary sheep, steinbuck, etc, etc than when you are already there. At that point it's just the trophy fee. Adding additional animals while you are already there will be far less expensive than going back for them on another hunt or hunting them in Texas or NM. Take extra cash as you'll see animals you want and they will never be cheaper! This is especially true of animals that are unique to the region. You will go back to Africa but likely to a different region and some animals may not be available.

2) Extra trophy fees can add up in a hurry so be sure to stay within your budget.

3) If you see an exceptional animal but it's not on your list, think long and hard about taking it. I'm still kicking my butt over a waterbuck on our last trip.

A few things to bear in mind in Africa are that:

1) You'll never shoot a cheaper gemsbok, kudu, Barbary sheep, steinbuck, etc, etc than when you are already there. At that point it's just the trophy fee. Adding additional animals while you are already there will be far less expensive than going back for them on another hunt or hunting them in Texas or NM. Take extra cash as you'll see animals you want and they will never be cheaper! This is especially true of animals that are unique to the region. You will go back to Africa but likely to a different region and some animals may not be available.

2) Extra trophy fees can add up in a hurry so be sure to stay within your budget.

3) If you see an exceptional animal but it's not on your list, think long and hard about taking it. I'm still kicking my butt over a waterbuck on our last trip.

I had some similar thoughts. Although not cheap, I had done some thinking about a Vaal Rhebok if I am already going to be up in the hills, in the eastern cape, with rifle in hand pursuing mtn. reedbuck, especially if a good one shows up. I have never done any hunting like that before, so I am super excited about the challenge of it.

You may want to give them a heads up if you are even thinking of a vallie. That is a special hunt and he may not even have any to hunt for when you are there. It is a hunt I would not just want to add when there and you may not be able to just take one because you see one.

Ya, vallies, Barbary sheep, bush pigs, blue duiker and caracal all require some up front notice on the Eastern Cape. They are all quite specialized hunts.

I had some similar thoughts. Although not cheap, I had done some thinking about a Vaal Rhebok if I am already going to be up in the hills, in the eastern cape, with rifle in hand pursuing mtn. reedbuck, especially if a good one shows up. I have never done any hunting like that before, so I am super excited about the challenge of it.

Keep in mind, just because there is Mtn Reedbuck, does not mean there is Vaal Rhebuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross