What is the current situation with hunting elephant in RSA?

SRvet

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
This seems to fluctuate with the wind…. Two years ago there was no Ele hunting, then there seemed to be some available adjoining Kruger but now I have been told by an outfitter there is no elephant hunting in RSA yet again. Is this the case across RSA or is it a local problem? Any information gratefully received!
Many thanks

SR vet, as far as my knowledge stretches, Elephant. Black Rhino and Leopard quotas/tags for international hunters have not been released. It seems it may happen one of these days, but as of no there is nothing.
Local residents may hunt Elephant though .
Maybe someone else on the forum can re-iterate or correct me if I am wrong .

What spear safaris said is correct

Yes as they said, some hunting is available on special permits but it's only available to locals. Also, it's not really the experience most of us are looking for. They tell you which elephant to shoot, there isn't much tracking...it's go get that one! That's how it was explained to me by a PH who has been involved with it recently. It's also relatively expensive considering that it's more of a shoot than a hunt. They do sell all of them but it's not of interest to most of us.

Good day SRvet
What Spear Safaris said is totally correct. Elephant hunting in South Africa is currently happening but it is only open to local South Africans. We are still in hope that things might change but it looks bleak that it will happen for the 2024 season.
Green Chile you will be surprised to know that there is a handful of spots in South Africa where you can do a proper elephant hunt. We have a concession up North close to the Zimbabwe border that we do elephant hunting on where we still walk and track them the proper way.

Many thanks to you all for the replies. It is great to be able to tap in to the collective knowledge!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AileenGayt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.