What is the BEST piece of hunting advice you've been given?

• Thread starter Deleted member 32621
  • Start date
Get as close as you can.
Be selective
Hunt for the memories and not the trophy size

From my father when I was 8

"Safety First!!!" "Enjoy every minute in the wild!"

"This ain't Wisconsin kid, where you have beans and corn everywhere. This is Montana and you are looking at a lot of country. Sometimes to cover the most ground...you need to sit down and open those God d*mned eyes of yours." - My relative from Montana. It still makes me laugh to this day...BUT HE WAS RIGHT!

Pick your hunting trip companions carefully 24/7 can strain relationships and suck the fun out of the trip if folks can’t check their tongues.

Great advice! Of my 30+ hunting trips I’ve only done one trip that was 2x1, I’ll never do that again!! Last year was the first hunting trip in 20 years I let anyone go on a hunt with me and I made sure they had their own guide! Lots of ‘buddies’ go on safari as friends, then come home enemies!!
My best friend and hunting companion of 35 years and my son are the only people that I would do a 2x1 Safari with.

Know them like a close family member, or don't take a chance on a once in a lifetime adventure with them

My best friend and hunting companion of 35 years and my son are the only people that I would do a 2x1 Safari with.

Know them like a close family member, or don't take a chance on a once in a lifetime adventure with them
I learned the hard way on what should’ve been the best grouse hunting trip ever when I agreed to have two extra buddies along in addition to my normal hunting buddy. One never lifted a finger to do anything in camp like we were his personal servants and the other, who had been married 20 years, got crying homesick every night wanting to go home the first day there. We found huge numbers of grouse and I made a young dog a great one there but they were just a giant wet blanket and we ended up leaving a day early. I got invited by them several times to go on other trips but never have and never will again. Both of these guys I had known and hunted with on day hunts but never imagined they could suck the fun out of paradise like they did.

I learned the hard way on what should’ve been the best grouse hunting trip ever when I agreed to have two extra buddies along in addition to my normal hunting buddy. One never lifted a finger to do anything in camp like we were his personal servants and the other, who had been married 20 years, got crying homesick every night wanting to go home the first day there. We found huge numbers of grouse and I made a young dog a great one there but they were just a giant wet blanket and we ended up leaving a day early. I got invited by them several times to go on other trips but never have and never will again. Both of these guys I had known and hunted with on day hunts but never imagined they could suck the fun out of paradise like they did.

Been there myself. I used to go and put together group hunts here in Texas with buddies and friends. After a couple of bad trips all that stopped. As for Africa, took one buddy with me in 2019 and we both had a good trip. No real issues between us, but I felt friction at times when I happen to get a bigger Sable than he did. So from now on I am solo on my hunts to Africa. Just me, PH and camp staff. Where I have been hunting it’s only one group or person at a time. I have 21 days all to myself this year.

"Live like a King, die like a pauper." Live like a pauper, die like a King."
My philosophy of life is to live very modestly, well below my means. Big houses and expensive cars are not important to me. I earn a modest living but have traveled to more than 50 countries. I started traveling oversees when I was 20 years old. I will not die like a King but I had spendable income most of my life due to living modestly including multiple trips to Africa, New Zealand, Europe, and Alaska. Memories are more value than trophies.

Best advice when traveling to Africa the first time was concentrate on taking representative animals and have fun. Don't focus on the size of a trophy. Focus on the adventure you are experiencing.

I did my first real solo international guided hunt when I was an early twenty something.

When I arrived to camp; I was far and away the youngest hunter in camp. I ended up sharing a room with a hunter who had just retired. 65+ years of age.

He told me something that really didn’t sink in at the time. He said that he wished he started earlier. That I was smart to be out at a young age. He’d put off some of his dream hunts and now that he had the time and opportunity the legs and body just weren’t there to do them. Dreams he’d now never fulfill.

A couple of decades later and with plenty of aches and pains I get it.

So his advice was to not put off those dream hunts until tomorrow. Check the boxes when opportunity presents itself.
@wiltznucs.
My dad used to say why put off until tomorrow what you c a n do today. If you do it today and enjoy it you can always do it again tomorrow .
If you didn't enjoy it at Keats it's over and done with.
You never know when you will have no more tomorrow's.
Bob

I'm not afraid of dying
It's not living that I am afraid of.
It's the best advice I've been given and what I tell others.
It may take a little time to figure it out but while you are at least you have slowed down for a while and thought.

@wiltznucs.
My dad used to say why put off until tomorrow what you c a n do today. If you do it today and enjoy it you can always do it again tomorrow .
If you didn't enjoy it at Keats it's over and done with.
You never know when you will have no more tomorrow's.
Bob
That's just solid life advice.

Now if only I would have such fortitude when it comes to weeding out the bad herbs from the garden...
:E Rofl:

1650915653956.png

for the cold nights outside

Pick something and stick with it. You can't do everything, so you might as well get good at something and enjoy it.

Applies to life in general, but also to hunting. How many combo great bird shooters, fisherman (salt, fresh, fly, deep sea, etc.), big game, turkey hunters, dangerous game, mountain hunters et al do you know? I don't know anyone that excels at everything.

Pick something and stick with it. You can't do everything, so you might as well get good at something and enjoy it.

Applies to life in general, but also to hunting. How many combo great bird shooters, fisherman (salt, fresh, fly, deep sea, etc.), big game, turkey hunters, dangerous game, mountain hunters et al do you know? I don't know anyone that excels at everything.
@Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy
You ain't shot with austrains mate. Just ask us we are that good we are legends in our own lunch boxes
Ha ha ha ha
Bob

Touche'....

I didn't say that I ALWAYS followed it ;)

Still trying to pare back my pursuits, but it is hard because I love it all. I have shot with a few Aussies in Queensland. That was a great hunt. Can't wait to a big rifle and chase the big beasts in NT next...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg