What is considered a reasonable trophy size Warthog?

71C4E75A-5111-4977-B09B-65CFDB77CE19.jpeg

I loved the character of this old boy. Seen many much longer but this is the guy I thought was a “trophy”. Spent several evenings trying to feed him a 180 grain Peragrine.

Another of my favorites

qpEiJeM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed this pig in 2018 as it looked similar to my first one.

1678118605996.png

I killed this one on my first Africa trip neat Ellis Ras, SA in 2007

1678118744205.png

It depends on the hunter....I have always prefered age. This could mean 1 tusked or heavily worn down....thick with massive warts.....
At the end of the day the most important is the time spent in the bush and the experiences and memories and the fun you had, friendships made and stories told over a cold one looking at the hardwood fire....the tape measure should never rule the roost, the day the inches become the measure of a hunt is the day I will hang up my hunting boots....

the tape measure should never rule the roost, the day the inches become the measure of a hunt is the day I will hang up my hunting boots....
this is exactly how I feel...

dont get me wrong.. if a fully mature 13" warthog comes walking out of the bush... I will certainly be excited about having the opportunity to hunt such a magnificent animal..

but for me.. I'll take an old, beat up, hard life, 10" pig with 1 tusk worn down an inch or two and the other broken... over a 12" that still had another year or two of growth left in him...

if the old beat up pig proves to be wiley and gives me a challenging hunt.. thats even better..

For me its about the memories and the experiences.. the trophy on the wall is just a tool that helps me recall the memory and relive the experience.. I will get more long term joy out of a marginal "trophy" (in inches) that provided a wonderful hunt than I will get from an above average "trophy" that was an easy take...

If I can pull off an above average or a world class "trophy" along with a challenging hunt... or take it during a week long hunt that was particularly memorable or wonderful.. thats icing on the cake!

Here are my two warthogs, one shot in Limpopo in 2012, and the other one at the Eastern Cape in 2022. I'm happy with both of them, not big in body, but like the tusk shape & size.

WARTHOG - 1.jpg

WARTHOG.jpg

this is exactly how I feel...

dont get me wrong.. if a fully mature 13" warthog comes walking out of the bush... I will certainly be excited about having the opportunity to hunt such a magnificent animal..

but for me.. I'll take an old, beat up, hard life, 10" pig with 1 tusk worn down an inch or two and the other broken... over a 12" that still had another year or two of growth left in him...

if the old beat up pig proves to be wiley and gives me a challenging hunt.. thats even better..

For me its about the memories and the experiences.. the trophy on the wall is just a tool that helps me recall the memory and relive the experience.. I will get more long term joy out of a marginal "trophy" (in inches) that provided a wonderful hunt than I will get from an above average "trophy" that was an easy take...

If I can pull off an above average or a world class "trophy" along with a challenging hunt... or take it during a week long hunt that was particularly memorable or wonderful.. thats icing on the cake!
Well said....

Got this very old warthog last year in the Eastern Cape, he was in rough shape. Love the broomed tusks.

20220710_102027.jpg

Warthogs are Cool!

the largest one i ever shot was when i i was looking for a impala and i also shot a impala, used a .243 rifle.

DSCN9617 (4).JPG
DSCN9607 (3).JPG
DSCN9614 (3).JPG
DSCN9832.JPG

I will always remember this "proper pig" taken in Limpopo a couple of years ago. 14"

IMG-20210601-WA0007.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross