What if you won a lottery?

After taxes that would probably be around 600,000.00 usd, would probably invest 300,000, give my kids 50,000.00 each, invest 10,000 for each grandkid (50,000.00), put 100,000.00 into our joint account, give my wife 50,000.00 to do with as she wants, take my 50,000.00 and go on a few safaris and buy a really good bottle of bourbon and fill my humidor with some good cigars.

I would marry the Princess of AH and make her my Queen. @Just Gina
Take her on a fantastic Honeymoon to Zanzibar.
Then take her and accompany a couple good AH friends on a 21 day full bag hunt in Tanzania.
Just for good measure bring along a fine 470 NE double, a Rigby Highland Stalker, and a 404 Jeffrey.

Then buy a fantastic semi retirement place in the beautiful Hill country of Texas with my Queen's dream house. Including huge pink closet with a chandelier and full laundry (yes in the closet, her reasoning being it is where the clothes are). Add a few exotic critters for our personal enjoyment, yes it would need to be high fenced...

Buy a Newmar Dutch Star motorhome to travel the country in comfort and style.

Of course I will never win the lottery because I refuse to waste money buying tickets......

I think instead I'll just work hard, invest, re-invest, live within my means and see what happens......

An accountant once told me lottery tickets were a tax on the poor.

And far too many proceed directly to bankruptcy soon after "winning".

I might also add in financial education at the high school level and promoting conservative scholarship
Yes! Sorely lacking....

For the most part I agree. However, where I worked, there were two lottery pools. Of course I was in the wrong one. A group of 26 people hit for $300+M. They took the cash payment and each got $3.2M after taxes. They ended up paying some additional taxes, but still ended up with about $2.8+M.
Of the group, I know of only one who “blew it”. Two years later, only had $400k left. Many used the $$$ to build dream homes or turn their hobbies in to dream jobs. One of the winners was the DJ at my wedding which he did as a side job. Now his company does the sound for major events all over the country.

Buy/ have built one good D/G bolt actioned rifle, have my half-done projects finished. donations to "Mates4Mates", an Aussie support group for ex -diggers. Some more donations to worthy causes, after having some update work done on the house ...
It would include buying Krish's 416Rigby action as a base for the D/G build ...

My wife and I don't argue unless one of us says, "what would we do if we won the lottery"...We'll be screaming at the top of our lungs in less than 60 seconds.

Lack of money isn't a problem, it is the symptom of a different problem. I can't convince my wife that giving money to people that don't have money isn't a good thing and doesn't solve problems...it creates problems.
Some of those big jackpots are enough to ruin a man. I’m happy without money.
As @ActionBob said I’ll never find out because I won’t buy a ticket.

Once I was in line at convience store and the guy in front of me was buying some lottery tickets and when he was done he asked the casheir if she knew where the unemployment office was. Now there was a guy with a sound financial plan.

Once I was in line at convience store and the guy in front of me was buying some lottery tickets and when he was done he asked the casheir if she knew where the unemployment office was. Now there was a guy with a sound financial plan.
I was doing a job at a college and struck up a conversation with a custodian. She was convinced that she was destined to win the lottery and it would be a life changing experience. That was over 30 years ago, I sincerely hope she was right.
I always worked too hard for my money to chance it myself…….
You can’t win if you don’t play. I don’t play

I wouldn't tell anyone, but there would be signs...
I think I'd invest what I kept in land that I could improve for wildlife and become an outfitter! (Not sure how that would work, but it would at least be fun going broke!)

For this guy it is a reality. What do you think? I think he is going to piss this million away in a glorious flash. But, I like his planning.
Good on him. I think you are spot on Pheroze.

One big glorious flash in the pan. I hope he enjoys the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorothyIbs

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.