What First Spurred Your Interest in Africa?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by JakeH, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Ross Reamy

Ross Reamy AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA - Life, DU - Committee Chairman
    Hunted:
    U.S, Mexico, Argentina, South Africa - Limpopo, North West
    Great thread!

The hunter's horn sounded early for me, I've been infatuated with guns and hunting ever since I can remember and I was fortunate to have a dad that introduced me to such a fine sport and took me a lot, every chance he had. Also around that time the local boy scout troop toured a local business man's trophy room, it's impressive by any trophy room standards but more especially so from a six year old's perspective. Then it was Ruark, Capstick and various magazine articles that fanned the flames..

From that point on I knew somehow some way I would one day hunt Africa. In my teens I set a goal, without having the means or even knowing what it'd cost, that I would hunt Africa before I'm 40 and hunt buffalo before I'm 50.. Life went on as it does, although I never forgot my goal, finished college, got a job, got married to someone who shares my interest in hunting.. Then all of a sudden November 1, 2015 I lost my dad and best hunting buddy, from that point on my life has changed. Life is way to short and none of us know how long we've got on this spinning ball. So for me there's no more wishing about doing something "one day", from now on I make a plan and make it happen.

I'm 10 years ahead of schedule, went on our fist safari to RSA in 2017 at 29 and planning on hunting my first buffalo for my 40th in 8 short years..

2. revturbo9967

revturbo9967 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA- IL, WY, CO, NH, ME, CT Canada- NB
    My father in law went , before I knew him and the trophy’s were trickling in from the taxidermist when I first met my wife. I deer hunted for years but that was all I knew or thought about. When I saw these awesome animals come in , I knew I wanted to go to Africa .

3. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Really nothing extraordinary. Maybe Tarzan, Roosevelt’s adventures, a couple episodes of American Sportsman ??

Also maybe by default as hunting in the western US, where I grew up and live, got more and more restrictive and commercialized. Even DIY Alaska became more and more difficult. So, Africa seemed a good value for the buck plus provided nearly endless options and opportunities. And so it proved to be

4. JOHN GRENZ

JOHN GRENZ AH Member

Member of:
    NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Reading Outdoor Life magazine 50+ years ago with a story about kudu hunting. Seemed like an impossible step up from the gophers and jack rabbits I was used to hunting.

5. Max Simmons

Max Simmons AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Heart of Darkness