What do you carry on your belt?

On my belt I carry a 4"-6"sheath knife, a Leatherman tool and 10 rounds of ammo in two 5 round pouches. The real question is where do you carry all the other items you need. Small items like band aids, mole skin, pain killers, paper towels, cotton handkerchief, small hank of cordage, flashlight or headlamp, lighter, matches, ferro rod with scraper, tinder, compass, cell phone, charger and cord, pocket knife, duct tape, reading glasses if you need them, whistle. To carry these extra items, I prefer a safari vest, but I could pack all of those items in a 6”x3”x2” maxpedition belt pouch with a little room to spare.

I’m not a fan of counting on someone else to have the gear I my need so I tend to carry a little extra. On my last safari they started calling me “Inspector Gadget” because whenever we needed something in the field I’d reach into a pocket and pull out what we needed.

The young Aide turned to the General and said, “we were sure lucky to have those extra wagons”. To which the General replied “Yes, the more prepared I am the luckier I become”.

SIDE ARM?!?!?! OMG!!!! The Horror,,, the Horror.... :eek::eek:(y):cool:
Less is more ... until less is less...

1) Is it needed?

This is a cost/benefit analysis: how often do we need it vs. how often do we carry it for nothing, and is carrying it a pain...

We all make our own decision based on our own tradeoff.

Have we ever seen a hunting buddy:
  • run out of ammo in the field?
  • miss his knife?
  • miss his camera?
  • walk into a thorn or twist an ankle walking in the dark?
  • get lost?
  • misjudge a distance?
Admittedly a client in Africa does not skin animals; asks the PH for the range; relies on the PH to shoot pictures; is generally back in camp well in time to watch sunset over sundowners; trusts the PH and trackers to find the way back to the truck; etc. etc.

So, I can see the point of less is more. After all the client is here to enjoy, not schlep a special forces 5 day combat harness and battle pack. Yes, 3 rounds in the rifle ought to be all the client needs...

But then again... occasionally:
  • a one-shot kill turns into a 6 rounds affair;
  • a PH does not have a reliable rangefinder, or (so common!) a fresh battery in it;
  • a 15 minutes stalk turns into an afternoon pursuit that leaves you 2 hours from the truck when the sun disappears behind the next hill;
  • everyone lost their bearing zigzagging in the dense Jesse (rare, but it happens! - did you notice that a fair number of very well known PH operating in large blocks carry discreetly a GPS on their belt);
  • the cell phone relied upon for trophy pics has a cracked lens, or (more common) its battery is dead after a day of roaming, location tracking in the middle of nowhere, and endless WhatsApp-ing?
So... it seems that some of us do bring along a little more than 3 rounds in the rifle...

2) Belt? Pockets? Backpack?
  • Are you wearing now the layer in which pocket what you need is?
  • Did you transfer the pockets content when you changed layer?
  • Did you grab the backpack when you jumped off the truck for this 5 minute stalk that turned into an afternoon pursuit of the next world record three-toed unicorn that always seemed to be tantalizingly only another 100 yards away?
  • Did you notice that the tracker who carries your pack was sent back by the PH to fetch the truck an hour away and that he took off with your pack?
When the chips are down, and when you do not carry your own pack, what is so important to you that you do not want to run the risk of being without it?

THIS should be on your hunting belt, and likely your belt will be different from the next guy's belt :)
  • it looks like we all agree on ammo and knife;
  • I have personally collected most of my best animals in the last 15 minutes of light way out there, so I always have a small flashlight;
  • memories are too important to me to run the risk of not having pictures, so I always have a compact camera;
Conversely, now that my rangefinder is integrated in my binoculars, I do not have it on my belt anymore...
Thanks for your analysis. I always learn something. Your friend, Brian

On my belt I carry a 4"-6"sheath knife, a Leatherman tool and 10 rounds of ammo in two 5 round pouches. The real question is where do you carry all the other items you need. Small items like band aids, mole skin, pain killers, paper towels, cotton handkerchief, small hank of cordage, flashlight or headlamp, lighter, matches, ferro rod with scraper, tinder, compass, cell phone, charger and cord, pocket knife, duct tape, reading glasses if you need them, whistle. To carry these extra items, I prefer a safari vest, but I could pack all of those items in a 6”x3”x2” maxpedition belt pouch with a little room to spare.

I’m not a fan of counting on someone else to have the gear I my need so I tend to carry a little extra. On my last safari they started calling me “Inspector Gadget” because whenever we needed something in the field I’d reach into a pocket and pull out what we needed.

The young Aide turned to the General and said, “we were sure lucky to have those extra wagons”. To which the General replied “Yes, the more prepared I am the luckier I become”.
I very much agree, but not on my belt or person when hunting in Africa. Most of this type stuff (along with some water, please don’t forget water) goes in a day pack. It might be sitting in the truck or if we plan a long stalk, I’ll carry it.

Most of my hunting (even in the US) is fast and light with the essentials in a pack not too far away. However your point is well taken.

My hunting belt has some additional pockets with:
2x water (0,5 l)
1x pocket for suntan lotion, lip grease, disinfectant lotion, laser range finder
1x ammunnition, wind checker (with talcum powder)

Belt.jpg

My belt changes on multiple rifle, multiple animal hunting schedule.

At the beginning when hunting PG, leopard, buffalo and elephant I had the following:
-- Els belt, Els cartridge holder 9.3x74R, Els holder .500 NE (4 solids, 4 soft), Leica rangefinder.

After I shot the bait PG and leopard I had the following:
-- Els belt, Els cartridge holder .500 NE (softs), Els holder .500 NE (solids), Leica rangefinder.

After I shot the buffalo I had the following:
-- Els belt, Els cartridge holder .500 NE (solids).

After I shot the elephant we spent 5 days looking for Kudu, Zebra and baboons.
-- Els belt, Els cartridge holder 9.3x74R, Els holder 9.3x74R, Leica rangefinder.

I had the SOG folding knife clipped to a pocket and a Garmin inReach+ connected to the back of the 5.11 cargo pants with a carabiner, iPhone in one of the front pockets. One of the trackers carried a backpack with a camera, headlight, first aid kit, water, extra Els holders with ammo (configured according to the hunt).

Fixed Blade Knife(Horizontal Sheath on the back o' my belt) & Cartridge Slider... If you're looking for a Custom Belt Rig, I have been doing Leather Work since 1993... If you can dream it up, I can make it...
Could you post a few pics of your work/designs just for interest?

Could you post a few pics of your work/designs just for interest?
Aye, I'm actually currently working on a DG Cartridge Holder(10rd Belt Slider), that I will be posting, when it's complete... In the meantime, here are a few pictures o' some o' my work...(My apologies for the poor photographs, these were taken quite awhile ago...) Unfortunately, I don't have a lot o' pictures o' my work, as the customer usually picks up the item, before I get a chance to photograph it... I have made quite a few Safari related items in the past, but unfortunately, they are amongst the items that I didn't get a chance to photograph... That being said, I will be making some Safari related items, in the near future... When I do, I will be posting them here... P.S. I will add, that everything I make is entirely hand sewn, and built to last(Every stitch is a locking stitch!)

184341_10150212040788636_7706341_n.jpg
190768_10150213170628636_3283158_n.jpg
10608591_768395563219037_1470791926966593102_o.jpg
10614380_763750343683559_8329273490903873994_n.jpg
10383648_763743393684254_3968077103927150683_n.jpg
10417577_763743340350926_647053388594629967_n.jpg
10563005_763743317017595_3764417873060284619_n.jpg
10577178_763743450350915_7516662089946830786_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been giving this some thought recently. After my first African safari experience, and now in eager expectation of receiving my Heym, I think I need to upgrade a bit my gear for the next safari. No more every pants pocket and shirt pocket stuffed with stuff, having to use a small camera pouch stuffed with toilet paper to carry my extra rounds silently, let's do things right.

What I do know is that although those dedicated culling belts with fixed ammo loops are gorgeous, I'd rather have separate ammo holders that slide on. That way I can switch from 7x65r to 300WinMag to .375H&H or anything else I would wish. I also think I would prefer to have closed cases, preferably with no metal (button) sticking out that could rub against the stock of my rifle... talk to @chashardy if you need to know why :D I also never expect to be in such a hurry that pushing a flap open (I can unbotton before if necessary) to pull a cartridge from, would impede me.

Next to the ammo holder, I'd like my belt to hold my
- @Von Gruff PH EDC (although thinking of ordering an extra sheath with retention)
- Leatherman (thinking of maybe going for a smaller, lighter victorinox instead though, I just like having the pliers)
- Headlight (more practical than a handheld torch, when pulling an animal to the road in the dark)

I'll keep my cellphone (for the pictures) in a closed pocket, as well as a handkerchief and a chap stick.

So what else do you keep on your belt?
Here what we use
Belt with knive amp pouch wind checker , torch, leathermann, RF and Puma.

C87947DA-356E-4039-BE2C-71FF3EDED203.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of variation on this thread. I like a Von Gruff knife and a pouch to hold 5-6 rounds, ideally with a flap that can be folded back for final approach, but is otherwise closed. With humidity and sweat, ammo falls out of open slots in Africa. Best to keep them closed until you may be in a dangerous game firefight. For anything but elephant and Buffalo, the pouch can stay closed all the time. I open it to “top off” after a shot to ensure I approach wounded game with full magazine, always.

Back at camp I have a diamond stone to sharpen.

so on the hunt: knife, ammo pouch, binos in a chest harness, shemagh. That’s it. The guys are carrying the gallons of water I consume, and my sticks.

In Texas either my 357 mag or 44 mag revolvers with half chamber of snake shot and other half chambers full house JHP.

I just ordered two of these sheaths for us. Looks very similar to the ones @Von Gruff makes.
1636341677784.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.