What do I take to Namibia? 30-06

Aoudad are tough animals with a will to live. They are a good test for an African load. I shot mountain zebra and gemsbok in Namibia with the 165 ttsx out of a loaner win mag and I’ll say this: they were absolutely effective and did the job, but I must admit I was underwhelmed at the 200yd + performance. They work, don’t get me wrong, but understand that you better be absolutely perfect if you stretch a shot out with an 06. I’ve never used the TSX version, so I won’t comment there, but if you are dead set on the Barnes the 175 LRX and 168 ttsx open up better when you get down around 2000fps. If you hand load you can really push the envelope with the 06 using 6.5 StaBALL or Hodgdon Superformance. I’ve also been VERY impressed with Federal terminal ascent ammo off the shelf. I’ve taken several deer and hogs with .30 cal versions and it just plain works. It’s like a high BC partition and I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot it at a zebra at 300+ yds. Beautiful rifle, btw. Good luck with the search. I can’t wait to get back to Namibia myself.

Aoudad are tough animals with a will to live. They are a good test for an African load. I shot mountain zebra and gemsbok in Namibia with the 165 ttsx out of a loaner win mag and I’ll say this: they were absolutely effective and did the job, but I must admit I was underwhelmed at the 200yd + performance. They work, don’t get me wrong, but understand that you better be absolutely perfect if you stretch a shot out with an 06. I’ve never used the TSX version, so I won’t comment there, but if you are dead set on the Barnes the 175 LRX and 168 ttsx open up better when you get down around 2000fps. If you hand load you can really push the envelope with the 06 using 6.5 StaBALL or Hodgdon Superformance. I’ve also been VERY impressed with Federal terminal ascent ammo off the shelf. I’ve taken several deer and hogs with .30 cal versions and it just plain works. It’s like a high BC partition and I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot it at a zebra at 300+ yds. Beautiful rifle, btw. Good luck with the search. I can’t wait to get back to Namibia myself.
Wow, just read up on the terminal ascent. Looks like a cool design that makes sense. No too gimicky.
Need to check it out. Did you use it out of a 06? or non mag velos really is what I am asking

Wow, just read up on the terminal ascent. Looks like a cool design that makes sense. No too gimicky.
Need to check it out. Did you use it out of a 06? or non mag velos really is what I am asking
No, I’ve used them in .308 and faster .300 mag velocity loads with the 200gr version. I shot a deer at 310y last December with the .308 factory 175gr load out of an FN SPR with a 20” barrel. Buck was quartering towards me and I had a full pass-thru out the back rib. The exit wound was impressive. I also shot a hog at a water hole from maybe 20 yards with the same load. Shot went in the left side of the neck and thru the opposite shoulder. I don’t care much for the .308 but I was trying to get some hunts in with an old work rifle. That gave me a new respect for the terminal ascent loads. Incidentally that same load was the most accurate factory load I’ve shot through my AR-10.

I stated these are the TSX bullet loaded by federal.

I guess what I am gathering is that the TTSX has more reliable expansion? Other than the addition of a plastic blue tip what did barnes do to create this better expansion?

Im probably pushing these closer to 2700 or 2750 with my shorter rifle. Federal published 2800 on the box.
You did, but I tend to use them interchangeably, so I thought I’d ask. I think the blue tip is the only change, but don’t quote me on that.

Switch to 180Gr and 220Gr Sako Hammerheads. Best .30-06 Springfield factory load on the market, in my humble experience. That's what I currently use in a .30-06 for my African plains game hunting. In the past, I preferred Remington Core Lokts in 180Gr and 220Gr weight.
Sable 1.jpg
Greater Kudu 2.jpg
Greater Kudu 1.jpg
Zebra.jpg
Defassa.jpg

Federal tipped trophy bonded. I have used them twice in Namibia. Are you hunting with Phillip?

We shoot more Barnes 180gr TSX or TTSX in a 30-06 than any other load. We have only used factory ammunition. The wife and I have killed lots of whitetails, mule deer, Texas pigs, coyotes and axis deer; as well as puma, gemsbok (5), kudu, impala (4), black wildebeest, springbok (2), warthogs (3) zebra (3), nyala, bushpig and blesbok. Zero tracking was required on anything we have hit with a Barnes bullet and most bullets exited.

Safe hunting

Please let me know your thoughts. Am I overthinking?
I know that some habits are hard to beat.
But I suggest following:
- Use bullets of more weight, under condition they keep acceptable accuracy. (A bit wider group is not a problem, up to 1.5 moa, all acceptable)

- I would suggest to avoid shooting at 300 meters at these animals. (I never had a need to shoot at more than 200 meters in Namibia, after three safaris, and I hunted all three - and few more from your list).
So, focus on good, well placed shot in range from 50 to 200 meters. You will be fine.

Considerations
As per my PH (few of them, generally reached consensus), the game wounded most commonly lost are:
- wildebeest, Zebra, oryx.
- 2 of those are on your list, zebra is up to 400 kilograms (800 pounds). Its not small, Reduce the shooting distance, and you will be fine

Firearm notes, personal view:
In a camp where I hunted, we had sable wounded by single shot (break action) rifle, and lost.
Sable stood for some time after wounding, giving chance for 2nd shot, but hunter had not enough time to reload, etc... and sable got moving and disappeared in the bush, never found, and later was paid for. Hunter lost the trophy, and outfitter lost the meat.

That is why for Africa my preference is for bolt action, or double rifle. But I also understand appeal of single shot ruger 1. So keep in mind possible quick follow up shot, and one more reason to get closer, and keep ammo pouch handy when in the field.

Possibly ruger r1 is faster to reload for 2nd shot then break action, but keep in mind.

Am I overthinking?
Yes! Shot placement is priority no.1 and you said that the load is very accurate and you're confident with it. That's 99% of the battle won. A Barnes in the right spot that maybe doesn't mushroom to textbook size is way better than a bullet in the wrong place or a bullet that blows up on the shoulder.

Some good suggestions on alternative bullets but if you can't get your hands on any, then they're moot.
Switching to a faster cal might be easier - if you're concerned about the '06 not having enough legs, then maybe a 300 mag is the answer, rather than trying to find bullets that are unavailable?

Yes! Shot placement is priority no.1 and you said that the load is very accurate and you're confident with it. That's 99% of the battle won. A Barnes in the right spot that maybe doesn't mushroom to textbook size is way better than a bullet in the wrong place or a bullet that blows up on the shoulder.

Some good suggestions on alternative bullets but if you can't get your hands on any, then they're moot.
Switching to a faster cal might be easier - if you're concerned about the '06 not having enough legs, then maybe a 300 mag is the answer, rather than trying to find bullets that are unavailable?
Ya, now I just need to go find one of those Ruger No.1's in 300 H&H. Problem solved

We tend to overthink and over analyze things. Keept it simple. Your rifle likes that ammo, use it. If you feel you need to go up in bullet weight, see if your rifle likes the 180grs, and stick with them. The animals you've listed are tough, but they are not wearing Kevlar, make the first shot count, and you'll have your trophy. What I would highly recommend is to practice off the sticks with the rifle you are taking. Practice, practice, practice shooting from the sticks. This will pay huge dividends when you are in the African bush.

We tend to overthink and over analyze things. Keept it simple. Your rifle likes that ammo, use it. If you feel you need to go up in bullet weight, see if your rifle likes the 180grs, and stick with them. The animals you've listed are tough, but they are not wearing Kevlar, make the first shot count, and you'll have your trophy. What I would highly recommend is to practice off the sticks with the rifle you are taking. Practice, practice, practice shooting from the sticks. This will pay huge dividends when you are in the African bush.
All these goats have been shot off of @African Sporting Creations sticks. They are wonderful. I now feel very comfortable shooting off sticks. f
IMG_0461 copy.jpg

This is Jim from African Sporting Creations. Your post is what makes my job so rewarding. Thank you for your purchase and I hope they continue to serve you well on many more adventures over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to figure out a factory load for my 30-06.
I'm taking my Ruger NO.1 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel to the highlands of Namibia in may.
(Mountain Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok will be the biggest)

It is very, very accurate with 165gr TSX loaded by federal. I've killed a few aoudad in west Texas with this combo. It very much simulates hunting the open highlands of central Namib.

The “Issue”
It seems when shooting past 300 yards there is not enough velocity for the TSX to perform out of my ol 30-06. It seemed to pencil through the last aoudad ram I shot. Almost impossible to find the entrance and exit wounds on the last few I shot also…
Impact distances were 330, 370, 383 yards

My friend uses his 300 win mag with a 25 inch tube. With his 180gr factory TTSX we find mushrooms just like you see on the Barnes box. My 30-06 with the TSX has failed to prove its expansion or terminal performance like his load has IMO.
Yes I've killed the game, but I feel like I'm leaving performance on the table.

Am I Crazy?
My friend says I am crazy for not being excited about my load. It shoots tight groups and I keep stacking up these west Texas goats. But I want more blood incase of tacking and just feel very off about the TSX overall performance.

I'm debating just using a 180gr cup n core. Maybe with these velocities I might get what i'm looking for with a Core Lokt or a Partition. I have always thought down on “Soft” bullets. But that was in my younger days when I was all about velocity and most of my hunting was close quarters . I am now maybe starting to see the value of heavy and slow with good expansion.

Please let me know your thoughts. Am I overthinking?
View attachment 494163
You must use the 180g TSX and be able to dial a .30-06 for Namibia. Oherwise you will be "that guy" that is great on paper but cant kill anything in Africa. Leave the lightweight bullets at home!
We all love the '06 but your friend is going to be better equipped wih the .300 when you get in to tough shots on tough animals like the mountain zebra.
Wishing you the best of luck on safari.
Philip

I have killed 3 mountain zebras with Barnes 180gr factory ammo. (1 with TSX and 2 with TTSX). All bullets exited. I believe you are overthinking this. However, I do the same and that is what sparks these interesting conversations.

Safe hunting

Have taken 2 zebra using 168gr TTSX … a 30 cal at even just reasonable speed shooting a Barnes bullet 165gr or heavier will reliably kill zebra.. with no problem… as long as you put the bullet where it belongs..

FWIW the zebra I shot with my 375 was never found.. I put the bullet a couple of inches too low… while I’m sure he expired, we tracked for a very long time and distance and never found him…

Shot placement is the single most important consideration (IMO)…

For what its further worth… while I wouldn’t feel comfortable, I know a guy that’s taken multiple zebra with his .270 using Barnes… using 130gr bullets…

You must use the 180g TSX and be able to dial a .30-06 for Namibia. Oherwise you will be "that guy" that is great on paper but cant kill anything in Africa. Leave the lightweight bullets at home!
We all love the '06 but your friend is going to be better equipped wih the .300 when you get in to tough shots on tough animals like the mountain zebra.
Wishing you the best of luck on safari.
Philip
so you are recommending a slower stronger bullet? I’m having expansion issues with the 165s at 370, 380 yard impacts. Which I dialed for with my custom cds turret. My 30/06 will do fine.
Thanks

so you are recommending a slower stronger bullet? I’m having expansion issues with the 165s at 370, 380 yard impacts. Which I dialed for with my custom cds turret. My 30/06 will do fine.
Thanks
I would not personally use anything smaller than 180g in a ‘06. It will serve you very well!
Are you handloading?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.