What do I need and why?

Linkerman

AH member
Joined
Nov 12, 2025
Messages
29
Reaction score
57
Location
New Braunfels, Texas 78130
I currently jump from 300 Win mag to 375 Ruger and am wanting to bridge the gap between the two. I am in possession of an “extra” Ruger M77 MK II in 270 Winchester and wanting to have it re-barreled to either 338-06 or 35 Whelen. I reload therefore ammo isn’t of any concern. I am leaning towards the 338-06 but not opposed to the 35 Whelen either. Or are there other better options to consider and why?
 
I can see absolutely no practical reason to "bridge the gap" between those two cartridges. You have everything you need already for any big game animal on this planet. Either of your considerations will not enhance what you now possess.
 
I would go with the 338-06. lots of good bullets, 250gn good SD, etc.
I decided to go with an even more refined version, 338-06 AI:)
IMG_5296.jpeg
 
I currently jump from 300 Win mag to 375 Ruger and am wanting to bridge the gap between the two. I am in possession of an “extra” Ruger M77 MK II in 270 Winchester and wanting to have it re-barreled to either 338-06 or 35 Whelen. I reload therefore ammo isn’t of any concern. I am leaning towards the 338-06 but not opposed to the 35 Whelen either. Or are there other better options to consider and why?
Curious why you feel the need to "bridge the gap" ? Do you have a caliber that falls below the .30 Cal ? Could be useful when hunting something smaller than deer or impala ....
 
You can’t make a wrong decision with either choice. I’ve always admired the 35Whelan but since I already hunt with a .338 Winchester most of the time, there’s no reason for me to have a Whelan besides ‘want’. On the other hand, I remember Roy Vincent telling me on my first safari what a wonderful round the 338-06 is and how ideal it is for African game.

Either would be fun to have and hunt with.
 
In that case its a coin toss .... both are good calibers , definitely understand your dilemma.
Surprised @Bob Nelson 35Whelen hasn't seen your post, from what I've read on his comments he may be biased toward the 35W, but he definitely is knowledgeable in the pros / cons

My want was easier, .358Win
 
No wrong choice.

My vote is for .35WAI - less brass stretch/less trimming than standard .35 Whelen. Both are factory spec'ed now that A-Square got SAAMI approval on the .338-06.

I have .30 Cals, and I have three .375 Rugers, but I have .35WAI also because I am an American and I can. I also have a .338-06 barrel waiting to be mated to a Mauser action, so great minds (or twisted ones) think alike?
 
I currently jump from 300 Win mag to 375 Ruger and am wanting to bridge the gap between the two. I am in possession of an “extra” Ruger M77 MK II in 270 Winchester and wanting to have it re-barreled to either 338-06 or 35 Whelen. I reload therefore ammo isn’t of any concern. I am leaning towards the 338-06 but not opposed to the 35 Whelen either. Or are there other better options to consider and why?
@Linkerman
Forget the 338 and go for the Whelen.
Two reasons
The 35 Whelen is a far better cartridge, easy to load and more power as Tim the toolman Taylor would say.
2 easy to get proper headstamped brass when going to Africa.
With a healthy dose of CFE223 it's not hard to get:-
2,900fps with a 225 grainer
2,700fps with a 250
And with a 310 you can get in excess of 2,400fps.
Plenty of posts here about the MIGHTY WHELEN.
Bob
 
I can see absolutely no practical reason to "bridge the gap" between those two cartridges. You have everything you need already for any big game animal on this planet. Either of your considerations will not enhance what you now possess.
@Ontario Hunter
Wants outweigh needs if you can afford them.
Some of my wants are way to expensive therefore I don't need.
I want a H&H royal double in 500 , I don't need it but I want it. Half a million dollars AUD is a bit steep tho.
Bob
 
Defintley not a need at all, just a want. I have just about everything imaginable from 22 Hornet to 300 Win mag. I enjoy tinkering and loading and wanting a new project to play around with and have nothing 33 or 35 caliber. Again its a want and not a "need" for sure.
@Linkerman
Don't listen to the naysayers.
If you want and it within your means why not.
DO NOT GO THE AI ROUTE THO. It's a waste of time, effort and consumerables. How do I know I went the AI route first and found the fat wasn't worth the chew.
Properly loaded the Whelen will reach way out yonder with a 225grain accubonds and still deliver over 2,000fpe at 400yards
Or if'n y'all want to put some big hurt on a big critter the a 310 grainer at 2,409+ fps is going to give you over 4,000fpe at the muzzy for some serious bone crunching hurt.
If'n y'all just want to have some fun with the kids then some 158 gn jacketed pistol bullets and some unique powder and your food to go.
The Whelen is good for everything from mild to wild.
Bob
 
You can’t make a wrong decision with either choice. I’ve always admired the 35Whelan but since I already hunt with a .338 Winchester most of the time, there’s no reason for me to have a Whelan besides ‘want’. On the other hand, I remember Roy Vincent telling me on my first safari what a wonderful round the 338-06 is and how ideal it is for African game.

Either would be fun to have and hunt with.
@DLSJR
The Whelen will do the same job as your 338 out to 400 ( about as far as any sane person hunt game) and not knock the snot out of you when you pull the trigger. The Whelen is a big push not a slap.
There's a few here that used to use the 338 and went back to using the Whelen after loading it properly and found they fell in love with the Whelen again.
Bob
 
No need. This is a "want to" not a "need to".
You have plenty of firepower.
 
In that case its a coin toss .... both are good calibers , definitely understand your dilemma.
Surprised @Bob Nelson 35Whelen hasn't seen your post, from what I've read on his comments he may be biased toward the 35W, but he definitely is knowledgeable in the pros / cons

My want was easier, .358Win
The 358win is why I said the 35w.
On fl hogs and deer the 358 win seemed to hit just as hard if not harder than the more powerful 338 wm that I had been using
So if the 358 win is good the 35w should be more good lol
 
I currently jump from 300 Win mag to 375 Ruger and am wanting to bridge the gap between the two. I am in possession of an “extra” Ruger M77 MK II in 270 Winchester and wanting to have it re-barreled to either 338-06 or 35 Whelen. I reload therefore ammo isn’t of any concern. I am leaning towards the 338-06 but not opposed to the 35 Whelen either. Or are there other better options to consider and why?
It’s not a stainless one is it @Linkerman ?

Just asking out of curiosity, I’ve been semi looking for one.
 
No need. This is a "want to" not a "need to".
You have plenty of firepower.
@dogcat1
Since when has need have anything to do with it.
I may not need it but I want it.
I didn't need a 270 but wanted a Whelen. Bought a 270 at the right price and it became my Whelen.
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,360
Members
169,532
Latest member
subsrotestheo1978
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top