What can be done with an Israeli Mauser converted to 308/7.62x51mm NATO?

Michael70

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Hi All,

I have an Israeli Mauser acquired sometime in the early 90's in full wood military configuration.

The question for the forum intelligentsia is, can this be converted into something useful?

I am thinking possibly a re-barrel and magazine work for a 9.3x62mm but anything else will considered. A big bore is preferred.

Conversely are these actions/rifles best left as is, and to sell and buy a ready-made big bore?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael.

Is it a LR or a SR mauser?

My israeli mauser was a converted 7x57 SR (originally a spanish mauser, then an israeli re-issue, marked with the star of david, etc..etc..)...

I converted mine back to 7x57 and sporter'd it (the wood was ruined, the barrel had a lot of rust and pitting on the outside, etc.. restoring it to mil configuration was not really an option)..

If yours is a K98 Israeli, you have lots of options assuming you have a well made action (pre-war German DWM action, etc would be excellent)..

Ive got a 416 Taylor built on a 98 action.. lots of 458 WM's have been made on 98 actions.. 9.3x62 is a pretty common big(er) bore action on a 98, etc..

If yours is one of the SR israeli re-issues, you want to go low pressure... there wont be a lot of big bore options there...

Hi Mdwest,

I believe it is a K98 but I will take a photo of the markings when I get home tonight and post them for better clarity.

These were sold in bulk in Australia in the early 90's don't know if there was more than one variant but this has been sitting in a safe doing literally nothing for nearly 30 years.

Wood, action and barrel are in mint (as issued) condition and it may be better off as a collector rifle, if these have any collector value at all. Considering the numbers sold I doubt it.

Hi All,

I have an Israeli Mauser acquired sometime in the early 90's in full wood military configuration.

The question for the forum intelligentsia is, can this be converted into something useful?

I am thinking possibly a re-barrel and magazine work for a 9.3x62mm but anything else will considered. A big bore is preferred.

Conversely are these actions/rifles best left as is, and to sell and buy a ready-made big bore?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael.
I can't speak for the Australian market but an Israeli k98 Mauser converted to 7.62x51 in the late 1950s in reasonable condition is worth US$1000 or more according to prices I'm seeing on Gunbroker.

Collectors will pay good money for it and you could then buy a modern rifle in the caliber you want.

If the rifle had already been "sporterized" then it would be a different situation.

I am sure that it is nothing special but it is in reasonable condition with all the original wood. My brother has one that has been sporterised and it is a damn good shooter even with the dodgy (filed) iron sights. These things can shoot.

There were a few around at the time and I am sure more than a few sitting in safes collecting dust but if any Aussie collectors want this then maybe a sale and buy option is the best way to go. Don't want to damage anything that may have value for someone else.

Thanks.

Long story short, an "Israeli Mauser" could be damn near anything from WW2 surplus mausers of miscellaneous origin, through to purpose produced rifles by FN. Ironically, Stalin had a major role in organising the covert supply of weapons to Isreal. Starting in the mid 1950s Israel started to standardize on 7.62 NATO and re-barreled their existing mausers to suit.

You might find this article interesting: https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/article/israeli-k98-rifles/

Is it a LR or a SR mauser?

My israeli mauser was a converted 7x57 SR (originally a spanish mauser, then an israeli re-issue, marked with the star of david, etc..etc..)...

I converted mine back to 7x57 and sporter'd it (the wood was ruined, the barrel had a lot of rust and pitting on the outside, etc.. restoring it to mil configuration was not really an option)..

If yours is a K98 Israeli, you have lots of options assuming you have a well made action (pre-war German DWM action, etc would be excellent)..

Ive got a 416 Taylor built on a 98 action.. lots of 458 WM's have been made on 98 actions.. 9.3x62 is a pretty common big(er) bore action on a 98, etc..

If yours is one of the SR israeli re-issues, you want to go low pressure... there wont be a lot of big bore options there...

What does LR and SR mean?

I have a FN Israeli Mauser and would love to use the action to create something nice. The barrel is pitted and it almost feels like it has a step in it when you push a patch through.

What does LR and SR mean?

I have a FN Israeli Mauser and would love to use the action to create something nice. The barrel is pitted and it almost feels like it has a step in it when you push a patch through.

Large ring and Small ring.

This refers to the diameter of the receiver. Large ring mausers measure 1,4” and small ring mausers measure 1,3” in diameter. Most M98 actions are LRs, although you did get SRs. The various mausers produced before 1898 like @mdwest has are small rings. The LR has more meat for the lugs to close in and can thus withstand more pressure.

Large ring and Small ring.

This refers to the diameter of the receiver. Large ring mausers measure 1,4” and small ring mausers measure 1,3” in diameter. Most M98 actions are LRs, although you did get SRs. The various mausers produced before 1898 like @mdwest has are small rings. The LR has more meat for the lugs to close in and can thus withstand more pressure.
Thanks Dewald, much appreciated!

Long story short, an "Israeli Mauser" could be damn near anything from WW2 surplus mausers of miscellaneous origin, through to purpose produced rifles by FN. Ironically, Stalin had a major role in organising the covert supply of weapons to Isreal. Starting in the mid 1950s Israel started to standardize on 7.62 NATO and re-barreled their existing mausers to suit.

You might find this article interesting: https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/article/israeli-k98-rifles/
Thanks for the article it has educated me on the possibilities of this rifle.

I think this relates to,what I have on hand:

The K98 facility was then left to produce spare parts and overhaul all of the various existing K98s in the country. To standardize ammunition supply, the rifles in the first three groups were reworked and re-barreled to use the 7.62mm NATO cartridge. Those guns comprise the fourth group. They have finger-grooved beechwood stocks, new barrels, a large “7.62” hammered into the receiver top and an equally large “7.62” branded into the butt of the stock. Rework and acceptance/proof marks consisted of a Star of David and the Hebrew tsade letter in a circle, usually on the left side of the receiver. In addition, the reworked rifles were fitted with a front sight hood, peculiar to Israel, with two holes and a rivet to secure it in place.

IMG_4685.jpeg
IMG_4688.jpeg
IMG_4686.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 98 Mauser is one of the finest actions ever created, but not all are suitable for sporterization. Millions were made, so if you want to convert it...up to you . History wont be changed. My own 98 over a very long period of time was upgraded to modern standards with a modern trigger/safety system, firing pin, drilled and tapped, barrel tapered, and a bunch more...but left in its original and very adequate 8x57 mauser.
A bigger consideration...is it cost effective? At one time converting a military 98 could be pretty much done in home with sporterizing accessories, but nowadays....lots of dough to bring it around, and for the same money you absolutely could find a new manufactured rifle in the same caliber.

Thanks for the article it has educated me on the possibilities of this rifle.

I think this relates to,what I have on hand:

The K98 facility was then left to produce spare parts and overhaul all of the various existing K98s in the country. To standardize ammunition supply, the rifles in the first three groups were reworked and re-barreled to use the 7.62mm NATO cartridge. Those guns comprise the fourth group. They have finger-grooved beechwood stocks, new barrels, a large “7.62” hammered into the receiver top and an equally large “7.62” branded into the butt of the stock. Rework and acceptance/proof marks consisted of a Star of David and the Hebrew tsade letter in a circle, usually on the left side of the receiver. In addition, the reworked rifles were fitted with a front sight hood, peculiar to Israel, with two holes and a rivet to secure it in place.

View attachment 540818View attachment 540819View attachment 540820

You could use the action to build a hunting rifle of sorts on, however if you are specifically looking to build a big bore on an M98 action I would flog this rifle as is and try to get a commercial FN action with the solid sidewall or a ZG47 action. Both are incredibly strong and smooth. If you want to build a rifle with a longer cartridge than .404 Jefferey, then rather look for a Win Mod 70, Brno ZKK602 or CZ550 as the doner

IMO...

Option 1. If you are open to selling, do so and put that money toward a used rifle or action. Cartridges like the 35W, 9.3's (all flavors), 375H&H, 404J and 458LOTT will be on the table with a safari magnum action like @Dewald mentioned above.

Option 2. Leave it as a 7.62mm and shoot it for what it is...an iron sighted .30 caliber rifle that is (possibly) 70 years old.

Trying to turn this into something it's not could be a waste of resources. Sometimes starting fresh is the best option.

IMO...

Option 1. If you are open to selling, do so and put that money toward a used rifle or action. Cartridges like the 35W, 9.3's (all flavors), 375H&H, 404J and 458LOTT will be on the table with a safari magnum action like @Dewald mentioned above.

Option 2. Leave it as a 7.62mm and shoot it for what it is...an iron sighted .30 caliber rifle that is (possibly) 70 years old.

Trying to turn this into something it's not could be a waste of resources. Sometimes starting fresh is the best option.
I think the Council has spoken.......

It will be a waste of time and money to convert this. I have already put in an email to a seller of a fine 458 Win Mag and maybe this will scratch the big bore itch (for now).

May list this to fund the new rifle, I have enough accurate commercial 30cals and this is why this lived in the safe.

Thank you all for your invaluable input (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.