What about the 300 H&H ???

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by cavtrooper94, Mar 24, 2011.

1. VonJager

VonJager AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Life, DSC, NRA Life, WSF Life
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa.
    Not directed at me, but I thought I would chime in. My 300 H&H has a 26" barrel, and I used 200 gr Nosler Partitions with Norma brass.

2. LRich

LRich AH Senior Member

Thanks VonJager,

I have a pre 64 Super Grade with a 26" barrel. I've been wondering if I should cut it down to 24". It shoots 200 gr TSX's well but was looking for opinions as to barrel length and bullet weights. I do like the North Forks in general, as Uncompahugre mentioned. I shoot them in my 404 Jeff but haven't in other calibers.

3. BARTFRNCS

BARTFRNCS AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RMEF DU SCI NRA
    Hunted:
    CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA
    By all means take the 300 H&H it was designed for use in africa. Just practice alot it requiers a magnum action so some short stroke the bolt in the heat of the moment practice will prevent this.

4. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston New Member

Two guns, 300 H&H, Africa? Don't get hung up on H&H. Try one gun, the 338 Win. Mag., two bullets: 200 gr. Spare point loaded with 72.8 gr. of 4350 at 2900 fps or 250 gr. round nose with either 67.8 gr. of 4350 at 2600 fps or 74 gr. of Norma MRP at 2700 fps. Both are hot loads. Tried this years ago and don't know if these powders are still available. Get modern scope with selectable two zeros. Youæ± e not going to shoot a large animal at 400 years unless you are chicken. 250 load has first zero suitable for brush in case you are surprised and something around 170 yards for longer shots then figure elevation beyond that.

5. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Using two different loads on a PG rifle is really not ideal. You will never have the "right" load in the gun when the time comes. In the .338 I took one load, the 225 Hornady Interbond for all PG. Worked just fine, though that bullet is a little soft. I would do the same again but with a tougher slug. Same could be done with the .300 H&H. Use a good 180 or 200 gr bullet at 2800fps or so and go for it.

6. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    I agree. It is often hard having the right rifle in your hands, much less fumbling for a new bullet. What happens very often is that you leave the truck to stalk a herd of springbok with say your trusty 6mm in hand only to stumble across a great wildebeest. The same thing will happen trying to use multiple loads. Trying to switch ammo in the near presence of game is just asking for a frustrated PH (I think most pray for a quick and accurate client as much as they do a quiet and safe one). On my first trip over, I brought along a .270 and a .338 for a PG/ leopard hunt. Other than sighting in, the .270 never again left the slip case. Even on a recent Buff/PG hunt, I took a single rifle - a .375. For PG alone, your H&H will be terrific.

7. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    Take the 300 H&H a very nice classic cartridge. It will do all plains game without a problem if you do your part. Learn where to put your shots, there is good shot placement information on this website. Order some target from Safari Press and practice. My Eland was a 1 shot kill from a 30-06 with a 180gr bullet, perfect heart shot.

8. Heym 88

Heym 88 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC
    Hunted:
    US
    Iv'e got a mint pre 64 in 300 H&H. I guess I need to shoot it. Just hate putting a scope on it. But heck, thats what I bought it for.