What about the 300 H&H ???

Uncompahugre,

what is the barrel length on your 300 H&H?

Have you ever shot 200 gr bullets in it?

Not directed at me, but I thought I would chime in. My 300 H&H has a 26" barrel, and I used 200 gr Nosler Partitions with Norma brass.

Thanks VonJager,

I have a pre 64 Super Grade with a 26" barrel. I've been wondering if I should cut it down to 24". It shoots 200 gr TSX's well but was looking for opinions as to barrel length and bullet weights. I do like the North Forks in general, as Uncompahugre mentioned. I shoot them in my 404 Jeff but haven't in other calibers.

By all means take the 300 H&H it was designed for use in africa. Just practice alot it requiers a magnum action so some short stroke the bolt in the heat of the moment practice will prevent this.

Two guns, 300 H&H, Africa? Don't get hung up on H&H. Try one gun, the 338 Win. Mag., two bullets: 200 gr. Spare point loaded with 72.8 gr. of 4350 at 2900 fps or 250 gr. round nose with either 67.8 gr. of 4350 at 2600 fps or 74 gr. of Norma MRP at 2700 fps. Both are hot loads. Tried this years ago and don't know if these powders are still available. Get modern scope with selectable two zeros. Youæ± e not going to shoot a large animal at 400 years unless you are chicken. 250 load has first zero suitable for brush in case you are surprised and something around 170 yards for longer shots then figure elevation beyond that.

Two guns, 300 H&H, Africa? Don't get hung up on H&H. Try one gun, the 338 Win. Mag., two bullets: 200 gr. Spare point loaded with 72.8 gr. of 4350 at 2900 fps or 250 gr. round nose with either 67.8 gr. of 4350 at 2600 fps or 74 gr. of Norma MRP at 2700 fps. Both are hot loads. Tried this years ago and don't know if these powders are still available. Get modern scope with selectable two zeros. Youæ± e not going to shoot a large animal at 400 years unless you are chicken. 250 load has first zero suitable for brush in case you are surprised and something around 170 yards for longer shots then figure elevation beyond that.
Using two different loads on a PG rifle is really not ideal. You will never have the "right" load in the gun when the time comes. In the .338 I took one load, the 225 Hornady Interbond for all PG. Worked just fine, though that bullet is a little soft. I would do the same again but with a tougher slug. Same could be done with the .300 H&H. Use a good 180 or 200 gr bullet at 2800fps or so and go for it.

Using two different loads on a PG rifle is really not ideal. You will never have the "right" load in the gun when the time comes. In the .338 I took one load, the 225 Hornady Interbond for all PG. Worked just fine, though that bullet is a little soft. I would do the same again but with a tougher slug. Same could be done with the .300 H&H. Use a good 180 or 200 gr bullet at 2800fps or so and go for it.

I agree. It is often hard having the right rifle in your hands, much less fumbling for a new bullet. What happens very often is that you leave the truck to stalk a herd of springbok with say your trusty 6mm in hand only to stumble across a great wildebeest. The same thing will happen trying to use multiple loads. Trying to switch ammo in the near presence of game is just asking for a frustrated PH (I think most pray for a quick and accurate client as much as they do a quiet and safe one). On my first trip over, I brought along a .270 and a .338 for a PG/ leopard hunt. Other than sighting in, the .270 never again left the slip case. Even on a recent Buff/PG hunt, I took a single rifle - a .375. For PG alone, your H&H will be terrific.

Take the 300 H&H a very nice classic cartridge. It will do all plains game without a problem if you do your part. Learn where to put your shots, there is good shot placement information on this website. Order some target from Safari Press and practice. My Eland was a 1 shot kill from a 30-06 with a 180gr bullet, perfect heart shot.

Iv'e got a mint pre 64 in 300 H&H. I guess I need to shoot it. Just hate putting a scope on it. But heck, thats what I bought it for.

Two guns, 300 H&H, Africa? Don't get hung up on H&H. Try one gun, the 338 Win. Mag., two bullets: 200 gr. Spare point loaded with 72.8 gr. of 4350 at 2900 fps or 250 gr. round nose with either 67.8 gr. of 4350 at 2600 fps or 74 gr. of Norma MRP at 2700 fps. Both are hot loads. Tried this years ago and don't know if these powders are still available. Get modern scope with selectable two zeros. Youæ± e not going to shoot a large animal at 400 years unless you are chicken. 250 load has first zero suitable for brush in case you are surprised and something around 170 yards for longer shots then figure elevation beyond that.

Dump two classic African calibers for one American??? Never shame on you however good the 338WM is.

375 H&H and 300 H&H are both classics and both scream Africa and both are devastatingly effective when used for what they were designed for.

I see you joined and left 2013....

Old thread but there is never a bad reason to talk about the 300H&H.

I will always suggest a .30-06 with 180gr bullets or a 300WinMag with 180/200gr bullets as the perfect single rifle for all non DG.
The Super 30 fits right in between this and is the sweet spot for game large and small , up close and far.

I also see people saying shots are close in Africa; this is not true and there are many areas and species that only offer longer shots.

There is a current thread on the great .300H&H going on now

The .300 Holland & Holland magnum is a very beautiful and traditional calibre .
His Royal Excellence , the Maharajah of Jodhpur used to own 1 of them in his armoury.... an original Best Grade bolt rifle , built on a pre war Mauser 98 action by Holland & Holland, themselves . He would use it for hunting sambhur deer and Wild Boars .
I always wished that some day... I would have at least 1 of my clients bring a rifle chambered in .300 Holland & Holland magnum calibre to India for shikar . However , it was sadly never to be . All of my clients would either bring .300 Winchester magnum or .300 Weatherby magnum calibre rifles .
By the way ... perhaps, this may interest you . It is the description of the .300 Holland & Holland magnum calibre rifles from my soft copy of Holland & Holland's 1958 catalogue .
Screenshot_20200205-205532_01_01.png

Last edited:
One of my all time favorites, with a good handload it will walk on the very heels of the 300 WBY. I always favored the 200 gr. Nosler as I could push it at the same velovity as a 180 gr. and it shot flatter and killed impressively..

I understand I can't take all three with me at once, but when I go I plan to have an agenda of what I will go after. This will allow me to choose which rifles to takeWhenever I got to Africa,.... with three rifles.
Nothing wrong with three rifles!

It is called an "African Battery"

:cool:

HWL

I have a nice .300 HH build back in 2005. Still one of my nicest and most accurate rifles. Its always a joy to pull it out from the safe to go on a hunt with it. 200 grain @ 3000 ft/sec its right on the tail of the WinMag. The .300HH simply just look better. Its a beautiful cartridge. Thats was the only reason I had a rifle made. Reason enough.

Had a 300 H&H built off a vz-24 for my wife a couple years back. She loves the rifle and has used it on Sable, Golden Wildebeest, Zebra and Croc. It's her go to rifle for plainsgame.

Does anyone have problems with the 300 h&h cases stretching and separating? After owning a chronograph I'm not much of a fan of magnum rounds. Kick harder burn more powder for very little gain in shooting range. If you need more than a 30-06 just buy a 375. h&h or better yet the Ruger.

I reload my wife's 300 H&H and have not had any seperations or splits after 3 reloads so I sure can't complain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg