Welcoming A New Addition To The BRNO Family!

@8x68 went out today. Got the 175gr Hornady roundnose to 2600fps comfortably with ADI2209/H4350. Can probably go another grain and get about 2650 without a problem. Primers are nicely rounded and show no signs of pressure.
What's your C.O.L using 175gr?

Base of case to tip of projectile 3.161" base of case to ogive using hornady comparator 2.723" I've got them seated .284" into the case.

Very nice. One of the better stocks, too.

It also has that very ugly (in my eyes) set trigger - to you it may be beautiful, but .....

I have 2 Brnos with the same type of stock - neither is still in the original calibre. ZKK600 in 9.3x62 and ZKK601 in 260 Rem.

I also have one or two more ..... 600 in 30-06, 601 in 7x57 - yes you read right it's the short action opened up - it's a long story.

I have to say I think the new CZs have better wood than the old Brnos

Very nice. One of the better stocks, too.

It also has that very ugly (in my eyes) set trigger - to you it may be beautiful, but .....

I have 2 Brnos with the same type of stock - neither is still in the original calibre. ZKK600 in 9.3x62 and ZKK601 in 260 Rem.

I also have one or two more ..... 600 in 30-06, 601 in 7x57 - yes you read right it's the short action opened up - it's a long story.

I have to say I think the new CZs have better wood than the old Brnos

The wood is better on the new CZ's but overall I like the old BRNO's better. The first BRNO I bought (and still have) was a ZKK 602 in 375H&H. I used to work at a gun store and the owners forced me into buying it :D. The stock colour was horrendous. So I decided to refinish it. When I got past all the chocolate coloured crap on the stock there was beautiful shades of orange and red. I oil finished it with boiled linseed oil and a light stain using tea bags and something else (can't remember what unfortunately) . It turned out real nice.
I don't like the blueing that CZ uses. I find it gathers a thin film of rust fairly quickly even with a thin film of oil on it. My Winchester's, Ruger's, etc don't.
I'm not fond of the set trigger either. I have several old BRNO triggers from previous rifles that I may install. Surprisingly the "break" on the current trigger is actually not too bad.
I have several CZ's and BRNO's and it may be just me but I like the BRNO's better.

The wood is better on the new CZ's but overall I like the old BRNO's better. The first BRNO I bought (and still have) was a ZKK 602 in 375H&H. I used to work at a gun store and the owners forced me into buying it :D. The stock colour was horrendous. So I decided to refinish it. When I got past all the chocolate coloured crap on the stock there was beautiful shades of orange and red. I oil finished it with boiled linseed oil and a light stain using tea bags and something else (can't remember what unfortunately) . It turned out real nice.
I don't like the blueing that CZ uses. I find it gathers a thin film of rust fairly quickly even with a thin film of oil on it. My Winchester's, Ruger's, etc don't.
I'm not fond of the set trigger either. I have several old BRNO triggers from previous rifles that I may install. Surprisingly the "break" on the current trigger is actually not too bad.
I have several CZ's and BRNO's and it may be just me but I like the BRNO's better.
School is still out on the set triggers on my CZs, at the range I may use the feature but when hunting I don't My triggers break at about 3.5lbs which is fine with me, I actually like the 2 stage trigger on my Weatherby that breaks at a crisp 2lbs from the factory

School is still out on the set triggers on my CZs, at the range I may use the feature but when hunting I don't My triggers break at about 3.5lbs which is fine with me, I actually like the 2 stage trigger on my Weatherby that breaks at a crisp 2lbs from the factory

I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 300 Wby. It has a really nice trigger. Breaks about 3lbs. nice and crisp. The same could be said for my Win M70 Alaskan in 338WM. Really nice trigger break.
The set trigger on the CZ's has it's advantages at the range but I agree there ain't no way I would use it while traipsing through the bush. Stationary in a blind and not moving possibly different story.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 300 Wby. It has a really nice trigger. Breaks about 3lbs. nice and crisp. The same could be said for my Win M70 Alaskan in 338WM. Really nice trigger break.
The set trigger on the CZ's has it's advantages at the range but I agree there ain't no way I would use it while traipsing through the bush. Stationary in a blind and not moving possibly different story.
Mines a 257Wby Vanguard 70th Aniversary Edition which has MK V wood and the old school blueing.I have some Pre Accutrigger Savages that break at 2lbs after a little file work

Agree with everything you say except about the CZ finish rusting - I haven't noticed that, but I live in Aus and I make sure everything is wiped down with G96 before being stored.

My commiserations on those terrible store owners forcing you to buy a 602 - what a pity you didn't sue them :X3::rolleyes::Happy:

Hi, I do not own a rifle in this calibre but have heard a lot of good this about it, it looks great, enjoy it!

Agree with everything you say except about the CZ finish rusting - I haven't noticed that, but I live in Aus and I make sure everything is wiped down with G96 before being stored.

My commiserations on those terrible store owners forcing you to buy a 602 - what a pity you didn't sue them :X3::rolleyes::Happy:
They made be buy more too!!!! I was "forced" to buy a BRNO 602 in 8x68, and later on since one of the owners is my best friend and hunting partner he told me to buy a 416 Rigby (so I did), then a CZ 550 in 450 Rigby (so I did), a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 (so I did) and a 404 Jeffery (which I had custom built). I said "why did you make me do that?" he said "because you don't have any!" I said..."OK". So now just to get back at him because he didn't tell me to do it I'm having a 358 Norma Mag built using a CZ 550 barrelled action in 7mm Rem Mag. That'll show him! o_O

Base of case to tip of projectile 3.161" base of case to ogive using hornady comparator 2.723" I've got them seated .284" into the case.

I'm guessing you have the cannelure seated well above the case mouth using Hornady 175gr RN's?

I'm guessing you have the cannelure seated well above the case mouth using Hornady 175gr RN's?

Yes, the throat on my Brno is loooooooong!!! I figured with a flat base projectile .284" into the case gave enough friction to hold it there.

Welcome to the club 8x68.
Beautiful and legendary rifle in great caliber. Congrats.
I have a 1968 ZKK600 in 275Rigby and ZG47 in 9,3x62.
Witold

They made be buy more too!!!! I was "forced" to buy a BRNO 602 in 8x68, and later on since one of the owners is my best friend and hunting partner he told me to buy a 416 Rigby (so I did), then a CZ 550 in 450 Rigby (so I did), a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 (so I did) and a 404 Jeffery (which I had custom built). I said "why did you make me do that?" he said "because you don't have any!" I said..."OK". So now just to get back at him because he didn't tell me to do it I'm having a 358 Norma Mag built using a CZ 550 barrelled action in 7mm Rem Mag. That'll show him! o_O
Man your EZ how about buying me a Safari to Namibia so I can hunt Buff

Ah the proud poppa!

I can't say I have any love for those set triggers on the Brno,s either.
I had an uncomfortable outing in Scotland some years ago stalking red hinds in February,sleet,snow and slush to crawl through.
Made a hash of it when it came to the shot with my frozen pinkies. My host was less than impressed .

Hmmm - you seem very easily influenced. (I like that in a customer). :whistle:

Congratulations on your revenge. I hope it is very sweet. :D

Hmmm - you seem very easily influenced. (I like that in a customer). :whistle:

Congratulations on your revenge. I hope it is very sweet. :D

I'm easy when it comes to buying things that:
A: I like &
B: See A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg