Weird stuff to bring for tips / gratuities

Gifts, a complicated subject. First you have the PH/operator. Obviously his needs and wants fall into a totally different category than field and camp staff. Trackers love anything that will keep them warm and a half way or decent pair of boots. Non prescription medicines such as a big bottle of aspirin or sinus tabs seem to perform miracles. I do not think I know of an adult that does not own a cell phone, but solar chargers with the proper charging cables are always needed, but all of this is useless unless he had money to top off the phone. Cigarettes are always appreciated if the person smokes are not because they will see them and buy something that they really need.

We have a clients that are coming in a couple of month. They asked what was really needed. My wife answered the question, sanitary pads for one of the schools that we support, they will be bringing two duffel bags of pads, no 4457 forms needed! Now girls will spend more days in the classroom.

A last thought we do not not take malaria tablets, but we always have an ample supply of Malarone that we use to treat friends and staff. Forgetting a bottle when you leave might save one or more lives,

Lon

I echo Lon's solar phone chargers, and also solar batter chargers with a selection of rechargable batteries, especially AA.

I echo Lon's solar phone chargers, and also solar batter chargers with a selection of rechargable batteries, especially AA.

On those cell phone solar chargers. Are there any brands that jump out? Because a lot of them are on the Chinese gimmick level.

Please don't bring objects instead of money to give as tips.

I use several independent contactors as guides for my fishing guide service. A gift is usually appreciated, but it should never be used as substitute for money.

After my last safari, I mailed back several items that I saw that the crew needed to make life more pleasant in the bush. (knives, field guides, fishing tackle, etc., just because I saw a need while hunting).

Everyone appreciates receiving American currency, while it still exhist.

Last time I took a lot of candy. Everyone was happy .
This time I am taking special "items"
Screenshot_20230519_213425_Gallery.jpg

I tipped fully, and "left" a couple of things behind that were genuinely appreciated.

Yeti coffee thermos
All remaining Barnes TSX 375 H&H ammo

If I had known how big a hit the Yeti was I would have brought a few extra. Ask if your PH is a coffee nut and drives like a bat out of hell on bad roads. If so, he needs the Yeti in his life.

My wife brought a large bag of candy. I can't remember what was in it but it was assorted chocolates and hard candies. She and the tracker would enjoy them while the PH and I were in the front seat between camps. Before we split ways, she gave him the rest of the bag. You would have thought she hung the moon...he was a happy guy. Said he was going to share it with his kids.

I gifted my PH a top quality bush knife and our tracker his own knife with a sharpener. The last camp we were at I gave the cook a knife sharpener and one of the helpers liked my boonie cap, so he got the one I was wearing at the time. Other things that I left there was stuff like Zeiss Wipes, Rem Wipes, Rem Oil Spray, compact rifle cleaning kit, ammo brass, box of loaded SAF 375H&H, headlamp and a torch.

These were all gifts, not tips. Tips were paid in cash.

When we go back, I'm planning on bringing several knives with sheathes and sharpeners. There are a few trail cameras that will make the one-way trip as well. Batteries and of course more candy will probably round out the "gift" bag.

There are a lot of good ideas on this thread.

Forgot to mention that my PH and I negotiated part of his tip was for me to leave him my Leica Geovid 10x42 RF (with EHR) binos. He had fallen in love with them over the course of our safari. Turns out that all the PH's for this outfit use Leica RF binos of some sort, he was the only one without them.

It also gave me an excuse to upgrade to a newer set when I got home.

Please don't bring objects instead of money to give as tips.

I use several independent contactors as guides for my fishing guide service. A gift is usually appreciated, but it should never be used as substitute for money.

After my last safari, I mailed back several items that I saw that the crew needed to make life more pleasant in the bush. (knives, field guides, fishing tackle, etc., just because I saw a need while hunting).

Everyone appreciates receiving American currency, while it still exhist.
Yup, gifts always in addition if you're going to do it, not as a substitute! We take for granted that our way of life isnt the same as there. Not possible there turn a $200 pair of binos into $200 easily like we can. IF they could sell them at all, it would be a fraction of the value, especially for anyone below PH level. And their yearly wages arent even close to what they are here, that cash is incredibly valuable. Gifts are great, but always in addition. Even a good idea to tell them that too so they know the cash tip is the same as it wouldve been and the gift is a bonus

Energizer LITHIUM AA Batteries. Specifically, and solely those. (long shelf life, 250% longer run time)

When you're hunting and can't find what you need, the problem isn't the fact they have 30 trail cameras, the problem is no batteries.

So its a self-serving gift. Whatever doesn't help your cause, helps them thereafter.
Can one fly with lithium batteries? I have been specifically asked at the airport if I had lithium's batteries in my luggage the last couple times I flew domestically. May have only pertained to carry on, not sure on that.

There are major restrictions on any and all batteries. As was mentioned Lithium is only allowed in a carry-on bag and you are limited to just a couple. AA, AAA, C, and D cells have their own restrictions.

I would just source the batteries once you land.

Yup, gifts always in addition if you're going to do it, not as a substitute! We take for granted that our way of life isnt the same as there. Not possible there turn a $200 pair of binos into $200 easily like we can. IF they could sell them at all, it would be a fraction of the value, especially for anyone below PH level. And their yearly wages arent even close to what they are here, that cash is incredibly valuable. Gifts are great, but always in addition. Even a good idea to tell them that too so they know the cash tip is the same as it wouldve been and the gift is a bonus
I think many hunters place too much value on gifts especially to the trackers and other staff. Most items of value the staff gets will be sold. There is a reason they don’t have binoculars and still use the same old knife. I like bringing over some gifts but I wouldn’t spend any money purposely buying these gifts, unless specifically asked by PH. Cash is always better option.

There are major restrictions on any and all batteries. As was mentioned Lithium is only allowed in a carry-on bag and you are limited to just a couple. AA, AAA, C, and D cells have their own restrictions.

I would just source the batteries once you land.
I’ve never seen any major restrictions on alkaline batteries like AA and AAA. I’m told quality batteries are difficult to come by in Zimbabwe and you can definitely be a long way from a town that sells batteries. The only restrictions I can find on flying with AA or AAA alkaline batteries are only in personal use quantities, so bringing over spares for lights or couple weeks use of trail cameras is fine. South Africa is just as easy to pick up once you arrive and a town will never be that far away if you run out.

I glanced at how a alkaline battery needs to be packaged and such to prevent any overheating.

But in the end it is up to the airline.

I’ve never seen any major restrictions on alkaline batteries like AA and AAA. I’m told quality batteries are difficult to come by in Zimbabwe and you can definitely be a long way from a town that sells batteries. The only restrictions I can find on flying with AA or AAA alkaline batteries are only in personal use quantities, so bringing over spares for lights or couple weeks use of trail cameras is fine. South Africa is just as easy to pick up once you arrive and a town will never be that far away if you run out.

It’s not just that they are hundred miles away and expensive, its that they are junk and of no use.

For trail cameras, you must have Energizer Lithium AA because they are temperature and humidity insensitive. They do not exist in Zimbabwe, nor do I think they have them in RSA. You can’t check them in your bag, you have to carry them on. I bring at least 48 of them with me each trip over because I’m not going to screw up my hunt success because we don’t have a way to power up Trail cameras.

It’s the #1 most requested item by PHs in Africa. Be very worried if you are hunting leopard and your PH isn’t asking you to bring 100 with you.

It’s not just that they are hundred miles away and expensive, its that they are junk and of no use.

For trail cameras, you must have Energizer Lithium AA because they are temperature and humidity insensitive. They do not exist in Zimbabwe, nor do I think they have them in RSA. You can’t check them in your bag, you have to carry them on. I bring at least 48 of them with me each trip over because I’m not going to screw up my hunt success because we don’t have a way to power up Trail cameras.

It’s the #1 most requested item by PHs in Africa. Be very worried if you are hunting leopard and your PH isn’t asking you to bring 100 with you.
I’m sure for season to season carry over you are right, but I’ve done several two week October hunts and have taken thousands of trail camera pictures. I use browning trail cameras and try to bring energizer AA alkaline batteries. I really can’t ever remember changing batteries on one of those hunts or an entire fall deer hunting at home. They do well on battery consumption and the heat doesn’t appear to affect battery at least for hunt duration.

From what I know the AA and AAA batteries is South Africa are high and junk. I have taken as many as 10 24 packs of AA and AAA batteries in checked bag. Delta and Qatar have never said a thing and usually TSA has opened and checked the bags as they have placed there notification in it. I took 8 packs this past April. No issues again. I had an extra checked bag even this last trip. PHs asked for several scopes, rings, batteries and some quality gunsmith screwdriver sets. All was in one bag. No issues and was checked and opened card placed inside it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross