Weird stuff to bring for tips / gratuities

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Thought I'd mention a few things that come up as requests I've received for "could you please bring me..." Some of these are tips, some are favors that they may wish to pay you your costs just to receive.

Garmin Astro GPS devices (old ones, not upgraded) and first generation garmin tracking collars. The first gen USA ones inadvertently work illegally all over the world. Garmin found out about the "whoops" and now lock them down through upgraded software so they only work in US or EU. Old ones are the only way to track hounds and pointers in Africa.

Fish finders. Huge expensive there. No selection.

Lures and soft plastics. The junk in your tackle box is literally a $20 lure in Zim and elsewhere IF they can even get it. Hooks. Leaders for tiger fish. Bobbers. Fishing line. Sinkers. (lead sinkers are illegal in many places but not Africa...give them your sinkers!)

Ammo cans. They love ammo storage boxes. Bring them with stuff in it, leave them there when you're done.

Batteries. This is the currency of Africa. Bring crazy quantities of AA and C batteries.

Solar Charger for phones and GPS devices.

Have an old iPhone that would be worth $50 if not for a deeply scratched screen? Get it carrier unlocked and that worthless iphone 4 or whatever is basically a $500 gift to them in Africa. Used iPhones, even near destroyed ones with cracked screens are HUGE dollar commodities in Africa.

Trail cameras: the gift that keeps on giving. (and memory cards, otherwise they are SOL!)

Bore snakes. Have extras? Give them to the boys as their guns haven't been cleaned in a decade.

These items have been requested of me by my PHs and their friends. These are unavailable or crazy expensive things in Africa. This is in contrast to the things that nobody seems to really want but will reluctantly take like booze, cigarettes, candy, knives, clothes, whatevers.

Ask your PH / host if you are on friendly terms if they want any of these items. They may not realize that these items are rather reasonable in the States but may cost outrageous sums in Africa.

Leatherman tools

@CAustin ...Since you have hunted with Pieter and his men a few times, look at the numerous articles that Rookhawk has recommended and send me your ideas that my son and I could choose from to take over in July for our hunt. Thanks!

My last two safari's, I've given my Carhartt jacket to my tracker. They're not that expensive and those guys ride in the back of the truck where it can get pretty cold.

I think it's important to note that if you want to give some items as a tip it should not be in lieu of money, but on top of the monetary tip.

@sierraone any old cell phones that are carrier unlocked (not sprint/Verizon) are a really big deal.

They use WhatsApp and Facebook messenger to connect with the world. In America, we get new phones whenever and we have no resale value for scratched phones. Those are a really big deal. Unlike other gifts like the usual, if they can't use the phone they will sell it for big money in the village. Your $50 junk phone is $200-$500 in their pocket if they scalp it.

A brand new iPhone 7 ($550 here new) is $1200 there without contract. $60 iPhone 4 and 4+ used phones here are $250-$400 there.

If I'm giving something other than cash, I want to give something that nets them more than cash.

@CAustin will guide you straight on what they need. Be prepared to be an electronics mule for your PH!

(Years ago my friends always brought nintendos for PH kids. Priceless to them, worthless to us at a garage sale)

I took crayons and coloring books for the women in the kitchen and doing laundry, they loved it.

@sierraone Be prepared to be an electronics mule for your PH!

I used to have a workforce of close to 5000 Ugandans spread out across several FOBs in Iraq..

You could always tell who the guy was that was getting ready to either go home for a month on vacation or was getting ready to resign and go home permanently.. he was the guy leaving the PX with a pillow case full of Mp3 players, cell phones DVD players, etc..

We didnt pay those guys a ton of money.. but they made anywhere from 5-10x the wages they could earn at home (if they could find a job at all).. they would generally come on board for 18-24 months, make a bunch of cash (a bunch to them), and then go home and start businesses, or use the money to go to school, etc (they all had big plans at least.. whether they all executed and were successful or not, I dont know)..

They would hoard as much cash as they could while they were in theater.. and a few days before they went back home they would gut the PX of everything electronic they could find..

Then take it to the village, sell it, and double/triple their money..

Industrious buggers for sure that knew the real value of samsung, sony, and apple at home vs the US retail price..

Good thread. Lots to think about as I will be in RSA again in May. I already have some gifts bought but certainly will consider additional items.
Randy

I have taken the regular stuff and the different for sure. One suggestion is leather man utility tools. You know the knife cork screw pliers file things that fold up. I found some small ones on clearance and took with me on a trip and the people loved them. I also took tobacco and rolling papers for a tracker that I knew was a smoker. He was very proud to get the products.
But in the end US $20 bills are appreciated.

Batteries. This is the currency of Africa. Bring crazy quantities of AA and C batteries

Great example in general and a perfect example for how to make the money go further both ways.

PH in Zim asked if I would bring some AA batteries. Sure no problem. I went to Costco and bought a 48 pack for under $20. He was so grateful and told me that many batteries would have cost him just under $200 in Zim. So it was way better than cash for him. If I had known I would have bought him more.... Thought I was bringing a lot....

Ask first and bring what they need at time. Something like a Leatherman is great if they don't have one, but bet some of those guys have a drawer full and smile when given another just out of politeness.

Used two year old trail cameras are $20 or free in the USA. Buddies throw them away.

Worth $100+ in Africa. They are always short on cameras with working memory cards and batteries.

I check the cabelas bargain cave for $30 trail cams all the time. Infrequently, I'm successful.

Do the African countries charge an import duty for bringing in gifts?

You put them on a form 4457 separately. You then lose the form and the merchandise in the country.

What gifts? I'm bringing these 20 cartons of smokes, 400 batteries, 10 Leatherman's, and other stuff for my personal usage.

I'm rough on stuff and when it breaks I smoke a lot.

What gifts? I'm bringing these 20 cartons of smokes, 400 batteries, 10 Leatherman's, and other stuff for my personal usage.

I'm rough on stuff and when it breaks I smoke a lot.
What about stuff, like Scotch & Cigars, for my own personal use?

I tool a bottle of Jimmy Johnson's Moon Shine with no problem and it was big hit the first evening after hunting

I think that you would be limited on the scotch, not sure on the cigars.

It´s nice when you can make it personal. On my second trip, I was going to hunt with my previous PH/tracker team, so I brought the tracker a camo quilted bomber jacket which had been Army issue in Spain for tank crews. Got it brand new from a friend who is serving.
Jerry is never going to be cold again on top of the bakkie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois