We are taking my Dad on his FIRST African Safari!!!

I am so excited!! Not only will this be his first safari, it will be his first trip outside the US!
My Dad has been a life long hunter. I remember him traveling to Colorado every year with his hunting buddies to go hunting. He is the person who explained and made me understand why, at such a young age, why Bambi’s mother was killed. He taught me about conservation and why hunting was important and healthy. Where I come from, Dads did not take their daughters hunting. It just was not done. I am thankful that he taught my son about hunting and conservation. My son killed his first buck when he was eight years old with my Dad. He taught my son how to do all the important things about hunting and fishing and conservation.

My dad is 70 years old. He still works full time. He is a machinist. He runs four manual machines in the machine shop he works in. God made my Dad tough as nails. I remember well when I was 7 years old, my dad was saddle breaking a horse and the horse fell on my dad. He suffered a compound fracture. His foot his still attached thanks to metal plates and screws.

He has had back surgeries and his neck is fused, however, he can work circles around men less than half his age! When he was out for neck surgery, it took 4 men to do the job that my dad does solitary, on a daily basis.
My Dad has committed to retirement in 2024. As a retirement gift, Bob ( @ActionBob) and I are taking him to Africa!!!!

We gifted him with the perfect shot II book. As of now, he is quite interested in a Cape buffalo, blue wildebeest, and impala. He is so excited and I cannot get over how excited I am to just go on this adventure with him and watch him hunt in Africa! He said, “Gosh, I just never thought I would ever get to go hunt in Africa.” He has hunted since he was old enough to do so.

We are going in 2024! He already sent off for his passport! I am looking forward to sharing our hunt report with all of you here on AH! How fortunate I am to get to take my Dad to Africa. @ActionBob and my dad share the same name. I get to go to Africa with my two favorite Bobs!! :love:

Updates to come on our progress. I am beyond excited!!!!
God bless you Gina. Awesome story with your dad, sounds like a great man that deserves it.

My dad is 78 and STILL GOING STRONG still works full time because he wants to. We did the father son African trip in 2014. It was our first time ever to Africa.

Your father will have an incredible time with you.

My kids are still young, but I can imagine how I would feel if my son or daughter wanted to take me on an outdoor adventure like that. I feel like I have a sense of how proud your father must be to have raised such a strong, considerate, successful daughter, on top of the indescribable joy that comes from shared time together outdoors. Please forgive my corniness, but I am very happy and excited for you all!

God bless you Gina. Awesome story with your dad, sounds like a great man that deserves it.

My dad is 78 and STILL GOING STRONG still works full time because he wants to. We did the father son African trip in 2014. It was our first time ever to Africa.

Your father will have an incredible time with you.
@Obi Wan Kenobi
Thank you! Dad has been putting off retirement “another year” for a couple of years. If he backs out this year, he has plenty of vacation to go to Africa anyway. :)

We plan on having a blast! So cool you were able to go with your Dad. It will be the first time hunting with mine ever. (y):giggle:

My kids are still young, but I can imagine how I would feel if my son or daughter wanted to take me on an outdoor adventure like that. I feel like I have a sense of how proud your father must be to have raised such a strong, considerate, successful daughter, on top of the indescribable joy that comes from shared time together outdoors. Please forgive my corniness, but I am very happy and excited for you all!
@channelkat
You are not corny at all. Thank you for your kind words! My dad has always been a workaholic! I am absolutely overjoyed that he is going on this trip! I am so looking forward to sharing our trip with all our AH family and friends! I love how excited my Dad is. I cannot remember a time I have seen him more excited! :love:

Pleeeeaaase, take tons of pictures. You know how we like lots of pictures. :ROFLMAO: (y)

Pleeeeaaase, take tons of pictures. You know how we like lots of pictures. :ROFLMAO: (y)
She's already been talking about needing a better camera;)

Ok!
Passport is sent off and he is just waiting on that.
Hunting attire is sorted out.
Shoes are purchased.
We are going to take him to get his shots he needs to travel to Africa, probably after all the hunting conventions are over.
May 31 is the targeted date he is retiring from work after working there nearly 4 decades.

As of now we are planning to stay in Africa for 3 weeks. I didn’t think Dad would go for 3 weeks but he seems pretty darn excited about it. I told him he will be away closer to 4 weeks with travel time. “That is just fine” was his response.

Still need to finalize a few things. I know I’m missing something. I think we are looking at arriving in Africa June 30? Help me out here @ActionBob .

If dad had the luggage of ours he will be using for the trip, I bet they’d already be packed too! :)
We will be dropping that off next trip up north so I am sure by the end of February his bags will be packed haha! I love it!

Still need to finalize a few things. I know I’m missing something. I think we are looking at arriving in Africa June 30? Help me out here @ActionBob .
Just a few small things to sort out yet, nothing real big... First one that comes to mind is a HUNT CONTRACT!!! ;)

Flights. Which guns we are taking. :)

Ok, what rifle, caliber, etc, will your dad be taking? His own, is he buying a new one, or using one from you guys? Details let's not forget the details. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

that sounds amazing! I hope you all have a fantastic and successful hunt!

Ok, what rifle, caliber, etc, will your dad be taking? His own, is he buying a new one, or using one from you guys? Details let's not forget the details. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
On the list of things to sort out yet. His biggest rifle is a Winchester M70 Featherwieght in 270.

Gina has that 404 Jeffrey that is now a real pussycat to shoot after the work she had done to it by JJ. I'm pretty sure that will be the biggest bolt gun we take. Gina also has the two Chapuis doubles. I have a Winchester M70 in 375 H&H that is easy to shoot also. My guess is we will let her dad try all the above.

Plus perhaps a 275 Rigby or 30-06. Maybe a 22 Hornet, very possible Gina's 9.3x62 Rigby HS:)

Bob and Gina,
This is such an AWESOME thing you're doing for Gina's Dad. Sounds like he's been working his ass off for the last forty years and he deserves this Safari. When one works that hard for that long, sometimes it's difficult to see beyond the "working" part of life. I'm sure he'll have a blast on his Safari and what a fitting way to start his retirement.
CEH

Great idea Gina. I'd be willing to bet when your father gets over there and sees the variety of game available, he's going to want more than a buff and an Impala. Hope he has the time of his life, and you as well.

Great idea Gina. I'd be willing to bet when your father gets over there and sees the variety of game available, he's going to want more than a buff and an Impala. Hope he has the time of his life, and you as well.
Absolutely correct:) We will definitely see what Africa delivers but we are tentatively planning to hunt South Africa so face it, you plan out a lot of those critters ahead plus add as you go;)

The plan is coming together. His wish list included the Buffalo, Impala and blue Wildebeest from the start.

Hopefully we can all 3 get bushpig but I'm fine waiting and so is Gina so her dad will get first chance. We are assured that bushpig will be in bait!

We plan on doing some serious night hunting. Gina and her dad will very likely have chances at black back jackal, porcupine, genet (Gina has one from Tanzania, I have both large spotted and small spotted). I need White Tailed Mongoose, Civit, and African Wild cat.

I'm hoping Gina's dad can get a kudu. Gina wants one also but has already said she will let her dad shoot first if he has the opportunity.

We will all have a blast!

Absolutely correct:) We will definitely see what Africa delivers but we are tentatively planning to hunt South Africa so face it, you plan out a lot of those critters ahead plus add as you go;)

The plan is coming together. His wish list included the Buffalo, Impala and blue Wildebeest from the start.

Hopefully we can all 3 get bushpig but I'm fine waiting and so is Gina so her dad will get first chance. We are assured that bushpig will be in bait!

We plan on doing some serious night hunting. Gina and her dad will very likely have chances at black back jackal, porcupine, genet (Gina has one from Tanzania, I have both large spotted and small spotted). I need White Tailed Mongoose, Civit, and African Wild cat.

I'm hoping Gina's dad can get a kudu. Gina wants one also but has already said she will let her dad shoot first if he has the opportunity.

We will all have a blast!
I think every hunter that goes to Africa for the first time, and sets his eyes on a big Kudu bull, wants to add one to the list. Spiral horned critters are the things dreams are made of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NJGGlory4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.