Waterfowl

Thanks for the warning on shooting full size bullets in my rifled barrel. I've been shooting lead in my rifles since the early 70's.
The shooting I did with the slugs in my 12 bore did not lead the bl. excessively. It was easy to clean, about the same as my m76 and 86 Winchesters. Not a big deal. I did try some sabot slugs and was not impressed suth their accuracy in this barrel. Both full sized slugs would put 5 into 1 1/2" at 30yards, elbow rested. Good enough for camp protection and a LOT better than a .50 cal, light weight HP. Thats where the deep penetrating Gualandi slugs comes in.
As to shooting.pellet loads in the rifled barrel, shy would I even try that? Might work for woodcock, though.
I did shooting 7 1/2's in my .58 Hawken and at ranges to 25yards, worked very well. That one had 66"ROT. No, it did not fill it's rifling with lead, either.
If I want to shoot .50 cal., my model 76 in .50/95, loaded with 52gr. #44 pdr.and 377gr. FN at 1,650fps, 11 in the mag and one up the spout will do the trick.
 
My annual trip to Dallas for the hunting convention is always followed by a Sunday Duck hunt. Lucky to hunt this spot in middle of Arlington! Right in the middle of DFW is duck Mecca. We killed 7 species this morning. All 20g over under. Steel 3 shot worked great today.

pics are some of the nice drakes I took. My first pintail. All coming into decoys perfect. Very memorable

IMG_2958.jpeg

IMG_0603.jpeg

IMG_2931.jpeg

IMG_2942.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Very Cool!
 
My annual trip to Dallas for the hunting convention is always followed by a Sunday Duck hunt. Lucky to hunt this spot in middle of Arlington! Right in the middle of DFW is duck Mecca. We killed 7 species this morning. All 20g over under. Steel 3 shot worked great today.

pics are some of the nice drakes I took. My first pintail. All coming into decoys perfect. Very memorable

View attachment 738371
View attachment 738373
View attachment 738374
View attachment 738376
Ummmmm….. where exactly in the middle of Arlington ??
 
Ummmmm….. where exactly in the middle of Arlington ??
Shhhhh :cool:

Haha, just some private land near the west fork of the Trinity River. Surrounded by housing developments.
 
We're going to try and go this closing weekend. We have had very very sparse birds in North Texas but finally may freeze them down to us...just depends on how bad the storm is.
 
10 year old banded black duck. The band was almost worn through completely. Shot a few miles from where it was banded. After talking with the biologist, he advised me he believes the bird migrated back and forth from Nova Scotia to NJ yearly.

BlackDuck1.jpg


As you can see, this was an old bird.

BlackDuck2.jpg


We've done rather well on early season geese here as well.

RamGeese.jpg


I primarily boat hunt which is what I find most enjoyable.

DI13.jpg
 
Alberta a few years ago. My 1st banded goose & 1st speck
1769571663567.jpeg

1769571784810.jpeg
 
North Carolina woodies this past November hunting with my nephew

1769571949294.jpeg

1769571990772.jpeg
 
Saw this they/them this morning on th river near my home. The duck dna scientists have discussed this phenomenon in a podcast with Ramsey Russel recently. Also a pic of one a friend of mine killed a season or two ago-
IMG_3533.jpeg
IMG_3531.jpeg
IMG_3536.jpeg
 
I showed these photos to a waterfowl biologist friend, he thinks it’s a hen with a damaged ovary. When the ovary is damaged they stop producing estrogen and the testosterone takes over and produces the drake plumage at a reduced brilliance.

What did the guys on the podcast say about it?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,354
Members
169,529
Latest member
LawrenceBo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top