Water buffalo caliber recommendation

My pick would be the .458WM

On my bucket list is to hunt a Water Buffalo (or 2) and when l do it'll be with my .458 using either:

a.) 480gn Woodleigh @2150fps
b.) 550gn Woodleigh @2080fps
c.) 450gn Woodleigh Hydro @2300fps

All these loads have been chrono'd out of my rifle and I'd feel confident using any of them... though load b.) would probably get the nod... (y)

Russ

What months would be best to plan a water buffalo hunt in the NT? It seems like something I might need to do after reading all this.

What months would be best to plan a water buffalo hunt in the NT? It seems like something I might need to do after reading all this.

June to August is nice and cool, my favourite time of the year for stretching the legs and enjoying a good campfire and feeling cold at nighttime.

September to early December is adventurous with some fantastic contacts but dangerous heat, so for me that’s early morning and late afternoon.

Like Ben said, also depends who you book with & where they hunt.

On the more accessible Cattle Stations early is Ok, out in the Wop Wops later is better as the place drys up a bit, you can move about better, less water so Bulls come in from out and about & there would of been some burning done !

Like Ben said, also depends who you book with & where they hunt.

On the more accessible Cattle Stations early is Ok, out in the Wop Wops later is better as the place drys up a bit, you can move about better, less water so Bulls come in from out and about & there would of been some burning done !
Sarg, please forgive my ignorance because I'm from Canada. I have no idea what "earlier" and "later" means in the NT. Could you explain?

@Longwalker in the NT of Aussie there is two basic seasons the Wet (Rainy Season) & the Dry (little to no rain) the Wet could be from November to April - in the old days half the Territory (population) lift the State then as humidity & heat is way up, not a real nice place to be, then it rains so much you can't get any where, better roads & buildings now days (if you go you will see the huge drainage & down pipes on the buildings).

The Dry is May to October, rain stops or eases, places drys out & you can get around better, so later is end of this time period !

Like when you guys say "going out" & that's when the ice leaves the rivers & lakes maybe ?

June to September
Cool (relatively speaking) and dry
Wet season is horrendous December to March

@Quaticman
Mate any of the 3 would be more than enough. Water buff have been shot with everything from 303 up. A good mate of mine used to use a 338 Federal with 185gn Barnes tsx to good effect then switched to the 358 Mitchell Express loaded with 225gr Atomic 29 projectiles. His son who used to guide clients after buff used a 35 Whelen then switched to his dads Mitchell Express.
@Dr Ray has clobbered them with a lot of bigger calibers and I'm sure @ 264 could chime in to.
If you want you could go after Bantang while you are here and then throw in a scrubber. These are mean SOBs that have a natural hate of humanity and will charge just for the exersize.
Bob

Break the shoulder and then shoot the upper heart to take out the blood vessels

I normally advise my hunters not to hit bone on the way into a animal as I have seen bullets do all sorts of strange things, Barnes TSX had the tip shut off/bent & no expansion, stuff like that, so its nice to know a bullet made its way through the animals Lung/heart area before breaking bones on the way out, to me any way as I'm doing the follow up most times

Thanks for the explanation Sarg. I'll need to give this more thought. The unfortunate bit is that the best season to hunt there is the same as the best season to be in the outdoors here! I'd have to give up some hunting or fishing time to go there. Would not have predicted that!

I would take the .375 Ruger African model. I bought it when it first came out and promptly took it to Namibia. It is extremely accurate with a variety of loads and bullet weights. It also shoots fairly flat.
It also has a lot of knockdown power if you stay away from the factory Hornady 270-grain softpoint spitzer. I shot a big Zebra stallion with it at 140+or- yards. It killed the zebra, but the bullet blew up and didn't exit. Zebras are tough, but nothing like a water buffalo.
I would pick a tough bullet and work up a load.
The only thing I would worry about is ammo availability if you get separated from your luggage.

Ok so I’ll chip in with my recommended water buffalo calibre. Sure if you only have a 30/06 , loaded it with heavy, strongly constructed bullets AND really didn’t wish to purchase a bigger, more suitable calibre rifle it could be done. Would I recommend it? No. I would start at least with a 338WM and up. I use Woodleigh Hydro’s in all my bigger calibres for buff. A 375 on water buffalo works about the same as a 338WM and is a good minimum. My 416RM starts to show considerably more knockdown on buffalo and this is what I tend to use. From there up is a range of splendid buffalo calibres that just work if you’re ok with the recoil.
As Ben and Sarg say, best time is the dry. Depending on where you hunt access could be as early as May and it’s getting pretty unbearable by mid September. September through to November can be done but you need to be ready and be able to cope with hot and very humid conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.