Wanted 3-9 Scopes

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am setting up a couple rifles for some people I am trying to get started hunting. Looking for a good scope at a reasonable price. I was thinking a used Leupold VX2. But would like to try to stick with new if I can.

What do you guys think would be a good scope to look at?

Leupold Freedom line for inexpensive but still "good" quality.
If you can find them, Zeiss Conquest 3-9×40, great glass and eye relief at affordable prices
If you can find them but they're pricey, Swarovski Z3 (lifetime warranty) once you look through them, little else will be "good enough"

3-9x40 trijicon accupoint
3-10 VX3i CDS
2-10 VX5 HD CDS

A bit to pricey. Trying to be at around $200. I don’t know if these people will even stick with it. Trying to give them something to do to get them outside, and give them something to look forward to to keep them out of trouble.

A bit to pricey. Trying to be at around $200. I don’t know if these people will even stick with it. Trying to give them something to do to get them outside, and give them something to look forward to to keep them out of trouble.
Don't think you will find "good" scopes at $200 unless it is stolen. But a $200 scope is still good enough to learn on.

I am setting up a couple rifles for some people I am trying to get started hunting. Looking for a good scope at a reasonable price. I was thinking a used Leupold VX2. But would like to try to stick with new if I can.

What do you guys think would be a good scope to look at?
Nikon used to make a 3x9 ProStaff model -it was only about $135 and was a great scope for the money. I still have several and they have performed very well over the years. You may want to try and find some of those on the used market.

Vortex may also be a good choice,How about rings and bases

Don't think you will find "good" scopes at $200 unless it is stolen. But a $200 scope is still good enough to learn on.

Isn’t that what we are supposed to do. Steal from the rich and give to the poor. Lol!

Looks to me like a Burris, crossfire, or diamondback, I have never been a vortex fan. Would they be good enough?

I wouldn't waste money and time on the cheap vortex, nothing under the razor, vortex has really went down hill the last few years they even said there not qc the cheaper scopes. Many people are having many problems, they will replace the scope but that takes up time and one may fail when it's needed most.

Burris Fullfield ii is solid for the money. Vortex also has some options in that price point, but I can't speak to their quality level.

Since you are trying to get folks outside, and are not sure if they will stick with it. IMHO buy what you would use as your basic scope as you will most likely have them back in short order. and can use them on a rifle for yourself. If they stay with it the scope won't be the limiting factor on their development as a shooter and hunter. It will cost a little more but is money much better spent.

Burris, Leupold, Redfield, and Vortex all sell relatively inexpensive good quality scopes. I have used all of them with no problems at all. A scope is just an aiming device. As long as its optically clear and sturdy it will do. Its not necessary to spend more for a scope than the rifle that its mounted on.

For your requirements the Bushnell Prime riflescopes should do. Gets decent reviews in Cabelas. If they stick with it they can always upgrade.

Weaver. Have several of these and have never had an issue. Under $200.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 12.53.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 12.53.01 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 12.53.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 12.53.02 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
There's a member that has 2- Monarch 4-12x40 scopes for sale in your price range. He's asking very reasonable money for what he has.

I have a nice Nikon 4x12 I would part with along with basically any set of rings you would need and maybe the mounts.
I also use Vortex scopes and have only one that gave me trouble and Vortex replaced it within a week

I’ve had ~10 of the cheap Nikons. Use to go on sale every Black Friday for $99 and I’d buy as many as they’d let me. Never once had a problem. The buck masters are cheap and seem good enough now.

vortex diamondback also have never failed me. I’ve flown with both “cheap” scopes and no issues. All those cheap scopes are now on my 22s and I’ve given many away and still no issues. I recommend them to all new hunters. I also recommend DNZ one piece mounts for $50. I’m good at dropping/tripping with my guns and they’ve held up amazing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber