W.J.JEFFERY & CO. Hand Crafted Big Game Rifles

I would like to publicly thank Richard Newgrasss of W.J. Jeffery & Co. for the assistance that he gave me in identifying my original .404 Jeffery rifle. Although the information that they have is limited, it gave me the date of shipping and cost. Mine was shipped in September of 1951 and the cost was the stately amount of 51 pounds. They cost a bit more now, but mine was a plain Jane rifle, with 1 standing 2 folding leafs and integral machined front ramp with removable blade. The action is a standard Mauser 98 with 3 round magazine. Unfortunately when I bought the rifle it had a non original stock. I added a standard Bell and Carlson stock. A very nice rifle to carry and shoot.

Lon
Post some pics please Lon.

re: Weatherby posted here...

This Weatherby looks pretty good.
Gary Goudy is a long time friend of mine and has stocked a number of guns for me. His name on a stock (top of the recoil lug area) increases the retail value by a significant amount. If he made the stock, it will be done right.

As for the Weatherby discussion, I always associate them with the wildly (and tasteless) overdone rifles I saw when I was younger. Never liked them and still don't like the Howa made rifles today. Sorry.

re: Weatherby posted here...

Gary Goudy is a long time friend of mine and has stocked a number of guns for me. His name on a stock (top of the recoil lug area) increases the retail value by a significant amount. If he made the stock, it will be done right.

As for the Weatherby discussion, I always associate them with the wildly (and tasteless) overdone rifles I saw when I was younger. Never liked them and still don't like the Howa made rifles today. Sorry.
His work is beautiful.

I’m not a fan of that style either and I’m honestly surprised they still use that style of stock and actually sell enough them to justify it.

Every time I'm on this page, I'm constantly surrounded by ..

View attachment 547007
OT but 25 yrs ago the lead singer for the Spinners was living just north of Whiterock lake in Dallas, Tx working for Frito Lay--his money from singing days having run out. Nice guy

Photos. Curtesy of an AH Member, forwarded from Griffin & Howe. My extended thanks to W. J. Jeffery & Mr. Newgass. The .404 & .500
404.jpg

4041.jpg

4042.jpg

4043.jpg

4044.jpg

4045.jpg

wj.jpg

wj1.jpg

wj2.jpg

wj3.jpg

wj4.jpg

I have a question, it may sound insignificant. However, on some of the worlds finest: What is the Process that creates this Stunning Royal, Colbalt, "Blues" on Bolts, Components, etc?
Thank you.

wj3.jpg
blue1.jpg
blu2.jpg
blue3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@geoff rath
I to was born left handed but I'm right eye dominant so I have to shoot rifle right handed, shotgun used to be either side but now mainly RH, hard gun left handed.
Confuses the shit out of people when you say your left handed then shoot right hand.
Bob
I once belonged to a smallbore club where, one year, we had a left hander with right dominant eye and another year we had a right hander with a left dominant eye. These were consecutive years and both guys did OK. It seems to work better when you can start them off with, essentially, ambidextrous rifles. This is one reason why the BSA International rifles lasted so long as club rifles.

Last edited:
Used to be fun, playing squash; folks would back me up into the "backhand" corner, then I'd change hands
My mother is a natural left hander who was forced to write right handed at school. She developed an abhorrence for such nonsense, before she became a teacher, and also ran two sole charge schools before her 19th birthday, whilst doing her country service. Being the second of seven children—and being pushed up a year after the polio epidemic—had something to do with the latter. I have always done some things left handed, apart from learning, as a carpenter, to develop ambidexterity with hammers, saws, drills, chisels, etcetera. It still surprises me, to see how many people are too stupid to use shovels, mattocks, crowbars and picks ambidextrously, to save twisting their backs. Apprentices and teenage labourers appreciate the advice!

My mother is a natural left hander who was forced to write right handed at school. She developed an abhorrence for such nonsense, before she became a teacher, and also ran two sole charge schools before her 19th birthday, whilst doing her country service. Being the second of seven children—and being pushed up a year after the polio epidemic—had something to do with the latter. I have always done some things left handed, apart from learning, as a carpenter, to develop ambidexterity with hammers, saws, drills, chisels, etcetera. It still surprises me, to see how many people are too stupid to use shovels, mattocks, crowbars and picks ambidextrously, to save twisting their backs. Apprentices and teenage labourers appreciate the advice!
@ZG47
The teachers used to tie my left hand behind my bak or to the chair to try and force me to be right handed. Me being me just refused and did no work. When they untied my hand I wrote left handed and got the edge of a steel ruler over the knuckles until my hand bled.
To say mum was pissed off was an understatement and really gave the school a serve. This was back in the 60s when we still used pens dunked in inkwells and wrote in italics. After mum gave the school a serve the got some left handed nibs in for the pens.
The old ink wells were great for putting the long haired girls hair in that sat in front of me. Red hair and black ink was a great color combination to a young boy.
To this day my hand writing is still shit.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen In my Standard Four year—now Year 6–our teacher dragged out the ink wells that our desks were made to accommodate. We used reservoir pens, typically Osmiroid. I currently have a couple of basic Lamy pens and a 2000? with the Makrolon body—Makrolon being a brand of ABS, used extensively by Steyr Mannlicher e.g. on the SSG69.
A good thing about those inkwells, which I immediately realised, was that we would not have any morons starting fights in the classroom, due to the inevitable spillage!
P.S. I bet your mum gave you a good serve, every time you pulled that hair trick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConsueloSu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.