Virgin wonders what country to start in for Antelope

Welcome to AH Oryx Jack!

Welcome to the forum. I am also relatively new (couple months). This is the best place to get valuable information about hunting guidance and destinations etc. I agree with most, SA or Namibia are very interesting and diverse destinations to hunt, especially for a new-comer to Africa. Though I also really really like the idea of CAR.

But do your own thorough research and ask the Outfitters for references and the like. It's the same all over the world, people are people and some people give up their honour for various perks (some wont like me for saying that but its true). So just try and go with the most obvious and heard of Outfits with the most reputable references to start off with, and then ask the Outfitters a lot of questions about a lot of things, they are there to help you and guide you, and effectively you will be paying quite a bit for any Safari that includes buffalo. Dont just go by what certain Outfitters say, do your reference checking and research and probe deeper if you start to feel uneasy. However, most of the Outfitters in SA and Namibia that I know of are amiable, transparent, and dedicated to serve you, they are just as passionate about Safari as you, highly trained, highly experienced, and professional, so they will ensure a relatively stress-free account.

Remember this: always have a permit for the animal BEFORE you hunt it, dont trust the "garuntees" and "promises" of individuals who say that the permit is in the post or the government office was closed etc, you can get into trouble for hunting without a pre-issued permit.

As for political stability, this is Africa Jack, but most of the time you will be in the bush away from people, government and/or any instability under the roof of the African sky, and I cannot speak for other African countries and im not an economist. But dont worry too much about political stuff, because you WILL find problems in every African country that will deter you. Any current issues that are a serious concern for foreigners entering an African country and coming to visit and hunt etc can be found on the web and news.

Buffalo hunt? Just ask your Outfitter to organise a .375H&H and when you get there go and shoot it in and get VERY comfortable with it (it is a buffalo hunt after all). You will only pay for rent and ammo. After the hunt you wont even need to worry about selling it again, or airport procedures etc. A once in a lifetime hunt for buffalo doesnt require any effort in buying a new or even a second-hand rifle, just ask the Outfitter (though I do strongly believe that one should try to hunt with ones own rifles at all costs, but this is a once in a lifetime hunt with one rifle on one type of animal). A 30-06 is perfect for all plains game, just practice with Africa in the back of your mind, shot placement on African animals is slightly different. Listen to the Outfitter about shot placement.

Regards

Jack, another word of advise, make sure that the outfitter gives you a contract, so that each of you are very well informed on what's included and what is not, talk to as many refetences as you can check on the phasa website to see that your outfitter and ph are members, it is always the best option to do as much homework as you can.

Outfitters that have been in the industry for a ling time have done so for a reason.

Happy hunting.!!!

Thanks, Bob, appreciate the info. Sounds like everyone mentions SA as one of the recommended countries, so I'm starting to lean a little more heavily in that direction.

Huntershill website looks good - how's the food/accomodations? What style hunting do they recommend? Stalking? Still hunting? Automobile or plane?

Jack

Jack if you take a look at my hunting report you'll see that by the 3rd day there last year it was so nice and the food so good that the wife ask me to sell the farm and move there, It Was Great. Bob http://www.africahunting.com/south-...st-cape-south-africa-huntershill-safaris.html

Hi Jack I for got to mention that the goal of Huntershill Safaris as well as most outfitters on this website is to work with the client. last year while hunting with Huntershill Safaris there was a man hunting there on a biltong hunt in a wheelchair and another with Parkison Disease that shakes so bad that the PH would help him steady his gun and he took so fine trophies. Bob

Welcome to AH, Oryx Jack!

You are and will get some great advice here. Enjoy the process of booking your safari. It will all just fall into place and before you kmow it you will be sitting under the great sky of Africa! Good luck and welcome to AH!

Jack,

A very warm welcome to the forum. You have joined a great community here.
All the best in your planning.

Regards
Marius Goosen

Welcome to the forum, Jack !

Hey 67 is not old, you still have a lot of hunting to do :thumb:

I see the regulars have already given you good advice, and you will surely receive some good offers from the outfitters in the forum.

Just found this forum few minutes ago. Wow...

Thinking re: trying an African Safari - probably for antelope (Kudu, Oryx, Wildebeest, etc),
but also daydreaming re: cape buffalo. But buff sound very dangerous/expensive:( I don't own a .375 or .416 either - sounds like a waste to buy a rifle for one animal??

Wondering what country to hone in on - political stability/safety, etc.

Leaning to South Africa - but not too sure about that.

My experience to date is shooting deer on my farm in NY state - with DEC permit,
I used to shoot 15 - 20 deer/year with 30-06, 125 grain bullets, an M1 Carbine, my .45 and a
Ruger .41.

I shot two russian boar and 1 red stag on preserves in Vermont/New Hampshire
all with the 30-06. The boar were both around 250 lbs and the stag was 400 lbs.

I'm 67 years old, and not in super shape:( Looking for a hunt that's comfortable and
involves manageable amount of walking).

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Hi Jack and welcome to AH!

The gentleman from NY State in the pictures below hunted with me this year and is also 67 years of age. In addition he suffers from asbestoses and as such cannot walk long distances...

This didn't prevent him from having a good time and harvesting some really nice animals (9 in total during a 10 day hunt.

I'm posting this because Joe had similar concerns / reservations as what you have with regards to his physical condition. He also originally had Buffalo on his wishlist although he changed his mind and opted booking a plains game hunt instead... Just another opportunity for him to bring that .375H&H of his back on a later date... which he plans on doing...

waterbuck-1.jpg

Gems.jpg

impala-1.jpg

Sighting_in.jpg

Attachments

• Gems.jpg
    Gems.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 131
  • impala-1.jpg
    impala-1.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Sighting_in.jpg
    Sighting_in.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 198
  • waterbuck-1.jpg
    waterbuck-1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 144
Welcome Jack, you'll get lots of help and suggestions.

Rent a rifle and walk as much as you want.

All the good outfitters will accomodate your interest and abilities.

Good luck.

Jack, the only thing I'll add to the good advice already given, is that you practice, practice and practice a little bit more at shooting off sticks. Make it become second nature to you and you'll find it a lot easier in the heat of the moment on your hunt.

Good post Rohan (HDP Safaris) :thumb:

Welcome to AH Jack,

As Hagar mentioned we had them over at our place and had a blast , Liam guided and looked well after them all , very nice people.

Your 30-06 will be fine we also have guns on hire - 300 win mag - 223 - 416 .. Feel free to email me on - realadventureafrica@gmail.com if you need some more info or anything else.

You can see Hagar's and his families hunt here on these links below -

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ort-with-liam-urry-safaris-lots-of-pics.6625/

http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-video-clips-watch-instantly/7658-hunting-liam-urry-safaris.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,