Update COVID rules

I have my vac card and it's been verified by Delta and it's logged in their system, but based on all of this confusing, conflicting information, I'll just get a PCR test the day before I leave. I have good insurance, so it's covered. Heck, I've got three test kits at home from Uncle Sam, with two tests in each box. I'll toss one of them in my carry on bag. Never know, they may accept it if all else fails, or they won't. Either way, I have plenty of time if they delay me at the airport, so I'll be in no rush to drag my gear to the airport hotel for the night.

We are trying to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. We are vaccinated x3. We got PCR tests this morning and the lab said "no QR codes".

Most state health departments, big chain pharmacies and many health providers use websites and apps that will provide a QR code that verifies your vaccines. I downloaded a QR code verification to Apple Wallet and printed a hard copy from our medical provider's website and app. Then I went to Walgreens and did the same thing just out of curiosity. Fairly easy even for someone like me that thinks the "n" in Ranger stands for "knowledge". :LOL:

We fly tomorrow so I will let ya'll know how it went when we get to Africa Sky on Saturday.

Safe travels

Received the below this morning from embassy in RSA:

Message for U.S. Citizens: Entry To South Africa and COVID-19 Regulations - Update 12 May 2022

Event: The South African Government has recently informed several airlines that they will no longer accept the CDC COVID vaccination "white card" as proof of vaccination. All travelers should confirm they can access a QR code that shows evidence of being fully-vaccinated, as available through VAMS or other medical providers; Or carry proof of a negative result of a PCR COVID test within 72 hours of travel; OR proof of recovery.

Getting a QR Code or Digital Copy of Your COVID-19 Vaccination Card:

Some vaccination providers and health departments may offer you access to a QR code or digital copy of your COVID-19 vaccination card in addition to giving you a physical CDC COVID-19 Vaccination card. Contact your vaccination provider or local health department to learn if a digital copy of your card will be made available to you.

The requirement for either a valid vaccination certificate or a negative COVID-19 test does not apply to children under five years of age.

Received the below this morning from embassy in RSA:

Message for U.S. Citizens: Entry To South Africa and COVID-19 Regulations - Update 12 May 2022

Event: The South African Government has recently informed several airlines that they will no longer accept the CDC COVID vaccination "white card" as proof of vaccination. All travelers should confirm they can access a QR code that shows evidence of being fully-vaccinated, as available through VAMS or other medical providers; Or carry proof of a negative result of a PCR COVID test within 72 hours of travel; OR proof of recovery.

Some vaccination providers and health departments may offer you access to a QR code or digital copy of your COVID-19 vaccination card in addition to giving you a physical CDC COVID-19 Vaccination card. Contact your vaccination provider or local health department to learn if a digital copy of your card will be made available to you.

The requirement for either a valid vaccination certificate or a negative COVID-19 test does not apply to children under five years of age.
Thanks for the good info neither my wife, who’s a nurse, nor myself realized we could get the QR code card online from our state health department here in Virginia.

Good morning. I am sitting in Africa Sky typing this.

We arrived in Johannesburg at 0345 local time this morning (14 May) on Qatar airlines.

We were the first ones to enter the stanchions leading to immigration and halfway through was an official and he was taking down chains on the ends to allow faster access to immigration. He told us to get our passports and proof of vaccination or covid test ready and he would review it when we got to the end of the next stanchion. When we got there, we showed our passports and US CDC cards. He politely asked, "do you have a digital copy with the code?" I opened my phone and showed him the digital copy with QR code that I had downloaded from Texas Health (our medical center). He did not scan it with anything or really even read it closely. I said, "here is mine, and here is my wife's". He said thank you and that was it. No one else asked for any more proof.

I did not see anyone getting pulled out of line, but we went through very fast. I will add everyone was very friendly, professional and polite at immigrations, customs and the police office where you go to pick up your rifles.

Gilbert from Africa Sky was there to get our guns and take us to the guest house. Talking to Gilbert, he said it appeared the "QR code" was the latest scheme to shake down travelers to purchase another covid test.

Well, we are so happy to be back in Africa! Looking forward to a wonderful month.

Safe travels.

We arrived in Johannesburg at 0345 local time this morning (14 May) on Qatar airlines.

We were the first ones to enter the stanchions leading to immigration and halfway through was an official and he was taking down chains on the ends to allow faster access to immigration. He told us to get our passports and proof of vaccination or covid test ready and he would review it when we got to the end of the next stanchion. When we got there, we showed our passports and US CDC cards. He politely asked, "do you have a digital copy with the code?" I opened my phone and showed him the digital copy with QR code that I had downloaded from Texas Health (our medical center). He did not scan it with anything or really even read it closely. I said, "here is mine, and here is my wife's". He said thank you and that was it. No one else asked for any more proof.

I did not see anyone getting pulled out of line, but we went through very fast. I will add everyone was very friendly, professional and polite at immigrations, customs and the police office where you go to pick up your rifles.

Gilbert from Africa Sky was there to get our guns and take us to the guest house. Talking to Gilbert, he said it appeared the "QR code" was the latest scheme to shake down travelers to purchase another covid test.

Well, we are so happy to be back in Africa! Looking forward to a wonderful month.

Safe travels.

Thanks for the update and good luck!

FYI: I was able to get an electronic proof of vaccination with QR code from our medical provider's website as well as the Walgreens website. We only received our boosters at Walgreens yet both sites had all our vaccinations. From what I understand, all vaccinations are supposed to be logged into a Big Brother data base. The recent "QR code panic" motivated us to get a PCR test the day prior to travel as a backup plan. We did not need it. In our recent entry experience, that test was an unnecessary expense.

Safe travels.

Safe travels.
Thanks so much for sharing this! Have a GREAT adventure!

Thank you. I saw where someone was asking if anyone was physically checking ammunition. For us, nobody did; neither Qatar nor SA police checked our ammunition. The closest thing to a check was Qatar at DFW asking how many rounds, where and is it in a separate and secure container.

60 rounds of 275 Rigby with 170gr Norma bullets and 50 rounds of Barnes factory 416 Rigby ammo weighs just under 11 pounds including the plastic ammo can and TSA lock.

If anyone has any questions, fire away. I will be checking this throughout the day today. Also, the test facility inside the secure area of the airport appeared to be closed when we arrived.

Safe travels.

DDAD

Thank you. I saw where someone was asking if anyone was physically checking ammunition. For us, nobody did; neither Qatar nor SA police checked our ammunition. The closest thing to a check was Qatar at DFW asking how many rounds, where and is it in a separate and secure container.

60 rounds of 275 Rigby with 170gr Norma bullets and 50 rounds of Barnes factory 416 Rigby ammo weighs just under 11 pounds including the plastic ammo can and TSA lock.

If anyone has any questions, fire away. I will be checking this throughout the day today. Also, the test facility inside the secure area of the airport appeared to be closed when we arrived.

Safe travels.

DDAD
I’m glad a U.S. vaccination record with a QR code was accepted. I’ll use my digital Colorado QR coded one. Still waiting for the Africa CDC “provisionary” one to morph into something else? LOL

Thanks for the firsthand information and I am sure that there are plenty on here that wanted it.

I know that a member on here did mention ammo and that they didn't even look at it in South Africa, but it sounded like he was being picked up in Johannesburg and not flying to a different city, this is where they will question you on your ammo and ask that it be removed from your checked bag.

On the rest I plan to fly into Johannesburg with all the information that they could possibly ask for that would keep me from delaying my flight out to Port Elizabeth.

Not sure on the ammo thing. Talking with several hunters here at Africa Sky, nobody mentioned ammo issues. There are a few coming and going from the Cape. We are driving to the area we will be hunting.

Safe travels

Hey guys, MIRACLE fix. Go to site VaxYes and upload your CDC covid shot card. For $5 they check CDC records and issue digital covid records with a QR. Gets issued fast. 1 hour for me .

If you're a resident of Delaware, you can get your QR code and covid records here:

I'm trying to find a QR code thing from the VA, I've found my vax records in "My Healthy Vet" but cannot find anything QR
Has anybody done this yet?

I received this on Fri from Travel Express:

Hello, I have just learned that South Africa will now require a QR code on your COVID vaccine card OR a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure.

If you don't have a QR code on your COVID-19 vaccine card, and your vaccine provider doesn't offer a certificate with a QR code, you will once again have to test prior to travel. ALL travelers should comply with the new regulations.

I hope this helps anyone traveling to SA. I'll be leaving in 12 days, and not sure of CVS offers QR code for the Vacc card.

I received this on Fri from Travel Express:

Hello, I have just learned that South Africa will now require a QR code on your COVID vaccine card OR a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure.

If you don't have a QR code on your COVID-19 vaccine card, and your vaccine provider doesn't offer a certificate with a QR code, you will once again have to test prior to travel. ALL travelers should comply with the new regulations.

I hope this helps anyone traveling to SA. I'll be leaving in 12 days, and not sure of CVS offers QR code for the Vacc card.
PCR test and not a rapid Antigen test? Well, after all, we did have a total eclipse full moon last night, so I was expecting another change. Really quite unbelievable!

I just copied this from the US Embassy webpage;

Entry & Exit Requirements​

Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter?

• UPDATE: The South African Government has recently informed several airlines that they will no longer accept the CDC COVID vaccination “white card” as proof of vaccination. All travelers should confirm they can access a QR code that shows evidence of being fully-vaccinated, as available through VAMS or other medical providers; OR carry proof of a negative result of a PCR COVID test within 72 hours of travel; OR proof of recovery.

Some vaccination providers and health departments may offer you access to a QR code or digital copy of your COVID-19 vaccination card in addition to giving you a physical CDC COVID-19 Vaccination card. Contact your vaccination provider or local health department to learn if a digital copy of your card will be made available to you. The requirement for either a valid vaccination certificate or a negative COVID-19 test does not apply to children under five years of age.

• On March 23, 2022, the South African Government published new regulations for travelers entering the country. All international travelers arriving at Ports of Entry – open land borders and international airports – are required to produce either:
    • A valid vaccination certificate (such as the CDC COVID-19 Vaccination card) for fully vaccinated travelers.OR
    • A valid negative PCR test certificate not older than 72 hours before the date of travel for unvaccinated travelers.
    • The requirement for either a valid vaccination certificate or a negative COVID-19 test does not apply to children under the five years of age.

Those requirements were from last March, some of them changed last week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caseycarpets

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.