unexpectedly effective case lube

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
so ive been having a heck of a time full length sizing my 500/416 NE brass! ive tried three different lube types (liquid lubes) which have worked well on all other brass but so far ive destroyed 3 cases. the 500/416 NE brass loves to get stuck and has an extremely fragile rim.

so I went to cabelas today hoping to try some case wax but sadly for some strange reason cabelas only carries the liquid lubes.

sitting at home trying to figure out what I should do I started digging threw my old reloading supplies and stumbled across of tube of LEE resizing lubricant. if memory serves me right, this stuff came with my LEE single stage press and I tossed it aside figuring it wouldn't be any good. flash forward to the present I was in dire need some some kind of effective lube so I went ahead and gave this LEE sizing lube a try. well I can happily say it works great!

the lube has a very strange texture, sort of like liquid chalk. it dries very fast and you cant really tell its there after it dries. the cases don't feel slick or waxy and the smell is very faint (and kind of pleasant). however the cases slide in and out of the full length sizing die with ease. another nice part of this lube is that very little goes a long way. a pin head sized drop on your finger is good for two 500/416 NE cases. I have a feeling this 2 oz tube will last a long time!

I was surprised with how effective it was so I figured id share it with you guys/girls.

-matt

That's interesting. Sounds clean too. I've been using the graphite stuff, not so clean.

I was just checking out midway usa to see if they sold the stuff and found the reviews of it to be very good but they did include one warning. a number of people claim that it can cause rust in your dies. for safety ill clean my full length sizing die out after im done.

-matt

Thanks for the information!

I have been using Lee case lube. My experience is that it does cause dies too rust and as well if not cleaned after every use it will build up in the die, causing very difficult resizing and tearing off the rim very often.(Norma Brass)
I stripped the die cleaned it with a degreaser, put it in a lathe to clean the inside very lightly with very fine sandpaper. Then rinse with water, back in the lathe and then use polish to polish the inside.
I tried it out yesterday after the clean up using a different case lube on a high density foam pad to lube the case, and then full length resize a couple of cases. It was working like greased lightning. I have never experienced it so smooth even when the dies were new. I will have to look up what the name of the new case lube is.

the Lee lube can be used wet or dry IMHO it is the best lube l have ever used
it is all l use now, using a Qtip for inside necks and fingers for the case
l have never had an indent on cases from using it like l have with other lubes
l do occasionally strip, clean and polish my FLD's with autosol on a brush wrapped with steel wool in the pedestal drill if l am not going to use them for a while, polishing them inside is a great tweak
l have found if l have not used a FLD for a long while and did not clean it the Lee lube at the base will have a green tinge l'm sure from brass shavings ect... in the die

I have changed over to Redding;s Imperial Sizing Die Wax for all my resizing. Works well even on 404 J cases.

I've tried many. I still use a couple of old RCBS pads for application. I've settled on either Imperial Sizing Wax or anhydrous lanolin periodically rubbed into pad using fingers. Roll case or portion of case needing lube lightly on pad. Not fancy, dull vanilla I know but it works for me. :) I only load 10-20 cartridges at a time so not interested in high volume anyway. Very little mess and easy to avoid inside case contamination. Clean cases of lube by hand in paper towel with acetone after sizing. Wash hands with dish detergent after using.

Rustng dies??? I am pretty certain Imperial Sizing Wax is not hygroscopic, unsure about lanolin. Average rel humidity here is less than 20% so no issue with rusting dies that I've noticed anyway no matter the lube.

Since this 8 year old thread was revived I'll add my nickel's worth.

I started using Hornady's One Shot spray lube. It comes in a aerosol and once your cases are in the loading block you just spray it on from a angle, turn the cases 180 degrees and hit them again. This lubes the outside of the case along the the inner neck wall. Let it sit for 30 or so seconds and then start sizing the cases.

I don't believe that I'll ever go back to the old pad again.

Stick one case in an expensive die and the reloader will be looking for a spiritual safe space. Do it twice and be going in for a sanity check.

so ive been having a heck of a time full length sizing my 500/416 NE brass! ive tried three different lube types (liquid lubes) which have worked well on all other brass but so far ive destroyed 3 cases. the 500/416 NE brass loves to get stuck and has an extremely fragile rim.

so I went to cabelas today hoping to try some case wax but sadly for some strange reason cabelas only carries the liquid lubes.

sitting at home trying to figure out what I should do I started digging threw my old reloading supplies and stumbled across of tube of LEE resizing lubricant. if memory serves me right, this stuff came with my LEE single stage press and I tossed it aside figuring it wouldn't be any good. flash forward to the present I was in dire need some some kind of effective lube so I went ahead and gave this LEE sizing lube a try. well I can happily say it works great!

the lube has a very strange texture, sort of like liquid chalk. it dries very fast and you cant really tell its there after it dries. the cases don't feel slick or waxy and the smell is very faint (and kind of pleasant). however the cases slide in and out of the full length sizing die with ease. another nice part of this lube is that very little goes a long way. a pin head sized drop on your finger is good for two 500/416 NE cases. I have a feeling this 2 oz tube will last a long time!

I was surprised with how effective it was so I figured id share it with you guys/girls.

-matt
@Mat 85
It's definitely good shit. I was the same as you in thoughts but made a big mistake.
Put to much lube on thinking I needed it and ended up with wrinkles in my case shoulders and lube coming out of the die breather hole. After dismantling and cleaning up the die try again. Place a very small amount on the index finger and thumb and coat a few cases the size. No more wrinkles and easy as.
Bob

Try chain saw bar oil, very little required, but you must wash it off with solvent.
@rdog
I now use RCBS case lube and a pad. I little goes a bloody long way a very small bottle has done a few thousand rounds and is still going. After all my cases are loaded I use prepsol (acetone) on a cloth to clean them all. I would have thought bar oils would be to thick as it sticks to a chain like shit to a blanket, about the same as different and gearbox oil.
Bob

Stick one case in an expensive die and the reloader will be looking for a spiritual safe space. Do it twice and be going in for a sanity check.
Yes sir, I am the living personification of Murphy’s Law!

In 23 years of reloading I had never had a case stuck(used Lee Lube), until I loaded .470NE with Hornady dies and used Hornady one shot case Lube = EPIC FAILURE to the point of sending the die with the case stuck inside to Hornady TWICE!

An elderly friend of mine suggested his own mixture of lanolin oil and denatured alcohol; I was apprehensive at first, but quickly realized how well it worked and easy to apply with a spray bottle.

Couple of weeks later I was discussing big bore reloading with Ken Owen and can’t say I was surprised when he told me his case Lube of choice…..

79F3BD89-9CD9-403F-9301-C2C5B68815E6.jpeg

Although I’ve never tried it, I have no doubt that a man who makes a rifle like this….

Then he certainly knows his powder and lead as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.50.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.50.18 AM.png
    791.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.50.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.50.19 AM.png
    517.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.50.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.50.21 AM.png
    624.3 KB · Views: 44
Yes, STP also works very well but has a down side in being tenacious and difficult to clean off. I have also used it for swaging.

I started using Hornady's One Shot spray lube. It comes in a aerosol and once your cases are in the loading block you just spray it on from a angle, turn the cases 180 degrees and hit them again. This lubes the outside of the case along the the inner neck wall. Let it sit for 30 or so seconds and then start sizing the cases.

I use this for a release agent for bedding rifles too. Works quite well. And of course east to apply in thin layers.

I’ve used Hornadays One Shot lube a lot & love it.
If you get up against it good old vaseline works well. I’ve used it & you can find it most anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaydenJaco

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,