Two scopes for .375 H&H

RStien321

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hello,

I recently picked up a .375 H&H in The Kimber Caprivi variety. Love the gun so far, it’s a real tack driver!

Right now, it has a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 mounted on it. My intention is to use this for plains game and I’m planning to load 260 grain accubonds. In the future, I’d like to do a buffalo hunt. Does anyone use two scopes with detachable rings that are zero’d for two different loads? Thought I’d use a 1-5 scope zero’d with 300 grain A-Frames for the other scope.

I have a 1-5x scope on a Remington 700 in 416 Rem Mag, but I can’t see using it now that I have the Kimber.

Thanks!

The scope on it is just fine for buffalo, just put it on 2x and leave it there.

If you want a different scope, get one, but you don't need one. That scope has all the versatility you'll ever need.

On myy MRC 375 H&H I use 2.
1) VX-6 1-6x illuminated for DG 300 gr
2) VX-6 2-12x illuminated for 250 Barnes TTSX and plains game
It has worked for me, although if you know your scope adjustments well enough, the 2-10x would probably work fine for both. I would probably shoot the DG first then adjust for PG.
JMO & E.
Best of luck what ever you decide to do!

I have and will continue to use a .375 extensively for mixed bag (buffalo and PG) safaris. It is a fabulous choice for such a hunt. For me, two scopes and two bullet weights would unnecessarily complicate the big advantage of a .375. I use 300 gr A-Frames or TSX for almost everything. (I bring 300 gr Woodleigh Hydros if a solid is needed - normally for little guys like duiker). My Blaser R8 wears a Leica ERi 2.5x10 and my Blaser S2 wears a Swarovski Z6 1x6. On the four safaris where I used one or the other for buffalo and plains game, I never used magnification greater than 6x or missed a shot opportunity for want of a lighter bullet. Should I ever have to do a follow-up on a wounded buffalo, both rifles have extremely visible open sights and the scopes dismount instantly. If I am doing a specialized mountain hunt, I likely have something other than a .375 in the rifle case. Keep it simple.

Last edited:
Red Leg has a very good point as long as your loads come close to the same point of impact at different ranges. If you shoot factory loads or handloads using different bullets (not weights, but design as he stated), you just need to verify they are close. Your game size and ranges can also add another variable to this.
As Red Leg said the KISS principle is vary valid here. Also cost of a second scope and rings. I’m a” nerd” by nature and training, so I tend to complicate everything.:barefoot:

I agree the scope you have on it is all you need.

Does anyone use two scopes with detachable rings that are zero’d for two different loads?

I did. In my young days.
It was in the times when I had only one 308 win, varmint rifle.

One scope 3-12x56 zeiss FFP was for general purpose hunting Including low lioght situations from blind. Zeroed for norma oryx, or nosler BT, depending on hunting needs. (wild boar, or roe buck)
The other, sightron 10-50x60 SFPwas for target competitions with 20 moa single base rings. Zeroed for some of the match hpbt rounds.

It worked.

If the caliber is satisfactory for intended purpose, then the final choice of optics will deteremine the final use of rifle (match, hunting in daylight, hunting in low light, driven hunts if wide angle optics, etc)

So, changing optics, it works

With later edit:
On the point of 375 H&H, it was written in realibale sources (Like John P. Taylor, and others) that the caliber was designed for different bullet weights depending of purpose.
But with same point of impact.

My experience is very limited with 375, to some training at range (2 different rifles), and one safari only, (2nd safari done with 300 hh) but what ever type of bullet i loaded it went as originally sighted, no change of impact.

I am not sure if it is universal fact for all 375 rifles or, not, but in that case changing optics could work as well when codnitions of hunt change, low light and far distances, or good light and dense bush for wide angle optics in Dg situations, or wide angle low power optics for driven hunts.

Change of optics on 375 HH is increasing the univesral all around quality to maximum possible level, of this caliber.

Last edited:
Hello,

I recently picked up a .375 H&H in The Kimber Caprivi variety. Love the gun so far, it’s a real tack driver!

Right now, it has a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 mounted on it. My intention is to use this for plains game and I’m planning to load 260 grain accubonds. In the future, I’d like to do a buffalo hunt. Does anyone use two scopes with detachable rings that are zero’d for two different loads? Thought I’d use a 1-5 scope zero’d with 300 grain A-Frames for the other scope.

I have a 1-5x scope on a Remington 700 in 416 Rem Mag, but I can’t see using it now that I have the Kimber.

Thanks!
Very good idea.

I'd just stick with your 2-10x. That will cover anything you'll ever pursue with a .375.
As far as bullet weights, I agree with Red Leg. Stick with 300 gr. Good for buff. Good for PG. At 2500+ fps, they'll cover any PG out to 250 yds and can be stretched to 300 + yds if needed. Taking two bullet weights complicates things.
KISS: one gun, one scope (take a spare in just in case) and one bullet.

I have a Kimber Caprivi in 375 h&h as well. I have 3 scopes on TALLEY detachable rings I’m playing with. Nikon African illuminated 1-4 German #4 reticle, Trijicon accupoint 1-4 with a German #4 and a Nikon Monarch 5 2-10 with advanced BDC. I have them all zeroed using 300 Barnes TSX. I’m about to check the Caprivi with Swift 300 Aframes. I’m not sure if I’ll use one of the 1-4 for both PG and Buff or use the 2-10 Monarch for the PG hunts. All the scopes are shooting well on the Caprivi. I will definitely use one of the 1-4 illuminated for the Buff. I like the higher power for PG but not sure I need it. My two previous PG hunts I used a Leupold 2.5-8 on a 300 and it was more then enough scope. I will take two scope using one for a back up. I intend to take my 375 only next time.

IMO, you already have close to perfect two rifle setup (cartridges and optics pairings) for anything you might hunt. the .375 with the 2-10x can handle from the smallest antelope up to any of the DG. And why some may say it's marginal for DG, it definitely capable if you were to run across a good/great buff. Then on the other hand, the .416 can tackle all the larger DG w/ authority and while it might be a bit overkill for the smaller species, it will still do it. I think the only thing better would be to have both cartridges in the same make and model firearm. The feel and "controls" would be the same between the two. balance might be slightly different between the two, but it would still be a familiar feel. I'd also prefer something around 2.5-8x with a ~36mm objective in low rings on the .375

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnAle

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,