Two 30 caliber rifles?

FWB - I dont reload currently but with my desire to hunt in Africa and the fact I'll be hunting on public land this year, I will need the accuracy and consistency for longer shots. I will have to look at what you listed and see what i can figure out. I'll have a heck of a learning curve to start I'm Sure.

Unfortunately this 300 savage went through a house fire in 2012 and was completely refinished/re-blued. So shes like new in appearance. However i plan to carry it for most of the next few deer seasons. It was my grandfathers work horse and I plan to continue that tradition. All my guns are well taken care of but I've noticed some ware even on my 2 year old rem 700... My only "safe queen" i have is my Golden Boy thats still unfired and will stay that way :)

This may have been stated but just make sure your case headstamps match the rifles you are bringing.

You mean the bullet casing?

You mean the bullet casing?
Yes ...in other words, if you are shooting a .280 Remington, make sure your cases are stamped "280 Remingtion", and not "30-06" if they are made from reformed cases.

Not to get off topic but for those of you shooting a Savage 99 in .300 Savage, have you noticed primers backing out on newer ammo?

I am in the same frame of mind as the rest of you. I have a pre 1930 M99 in 300 Savage that was my dads who use it until the early 60's.

I pulled it out of the safe last year and purchased some Federal 150 grain rounds, but when shooting it I have noticed the primers backing out slightly.

I took a deer with it last fall so now it is going to become a safe queen, but I was just wondering.

I suggest that you take it to your gunsmith, headspace correction is fairly straightforward on most rifles, according to my understanding.

My 2c worth about taking two rifles in 30 cal...why not just take the 300 Savage? As you say it's sentimental and a workhorse which you shoot well.

If you need a backup use your PH's.

Every time I take two rifles the weight, paperwork and ammo is a real pain - hence I only take my 375 and use it for everything, and have stopped taking my 30-06.

Enjoy your hunt!

Ado

With some other airlines such as Air France, there may be a misunderstanding. To assure no issues, I'd recommend packing in factory ammo boxes.

Oh great....I fly Air France on one leg on the way home.

And my ammo is too long to fit in a factory box.

Guess I will have to shoot all the leftover ammo before leaving SA. I can't even leave it behind, as it won't fit a standard 300 H&H chamber.

Agree with the Gunsmith trip on the 99 might also want him to check the Firing pin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you