Tuffpak 1050 Lock Style

Only trouble I had with mine was in a helicopter. They don’t fit.

I have had mine for almost 20 years, it has the padlock clasp. I’ve taken it all over the place without any issues. I’ve never had any problems with having clothes, jackets, etc.. in the case to help cushion the rifles. Rifles have always been well protected and have held zero when I’ve gotten to where I’m going. They can be a bit unwieldy in airport security lines but nothing too bad. Made a bunch of great memories with mine and love it.

Decided to order one today. Added to cart and began check out......149.99 for shipping. Gotta do some thinking about that.

Decided to order one today. Added to cart and began check out......149.99 for shipping. Gotta do some thinking about that.
ouch....

After a lot of reviewing opinions and options, I am leaning toward getting a Tuffpak 1050 for taking two scoped rifles on my first safari this year.

The question is what lock option to pick: padlock version or key lock version?

If you have the built-in key lock version have you had any issues traveling with it?

View attachment 584039View attachment 584040
Not to cause a stir but it is no longer allowed to place clothing in the gun case for many international destinations. I didn't make this up! My TA advised us and one client was stopped last year by Delta. Tuffpacks are neat but their value has been dimished by this new rule.
I currently use SnapSafe HD TsA locks for all my travels.

Not to cause a stir but it is no longer allowed to place clothing in the gun case for many international destinations. I didn't make this up! My TA advised us and one client was stopped last year by Delta. Tuffpacks are neat but their value has been dimished by this new rule.
I currently use SnapSafe HD TsA locks for all my travels.
Can you tell me what this new rule is regarding Tuffpaks? Is this one person stating this or actual policy.

A
Can you tell me what this new rule is regarding Tuffpaks? Is this one person stating this or actual policy.
As I had mentioned before this started in Europe and now migrated to South Africa. Much like the ammo checked separate, this also started in Europe and RSA follows. RSA is not allowing clothing in the suitcase.

THE CLOTHING DIRECTIVE CAME DIRECTLY FROM MY TRAVEL AGENT, PATRICK WRIGHT.

My client was stopped by Delta last year and he had to repack all the clothing from his gun case to his suitcase. This is due to he Delta agent reading the directive from JNB.
I am sorry for those who love their Tufflack but it won't work the way it did. At least for Africa.

Last edited:

A few years ago, I had some clothes packed in my SKB two gun rifle case, as I only had one gun in it and my other bag was close to the weight limit. TSA made me take the clothes out. This was for a domestic US flight.

Mine is new to me and I will be taking my first trip to Namibia with it in two weeks. I'm just adding some foam rubber sheets around the two rifles in their soft cases. Even without the foam rubber, the rifles and soft cases pretty well fill the case.

Looks like Airlink and JNB are likely the cause for the change. Accepting only firearms and related items in the gun case.

Delta is not entirely specific also allowing firearms, shooting equipment and tools, and you can package your firearms in a hard sided piece of luggage. Does this mean inside your regular checked baggage with clothes?

TSA allows firearms in a hard side case in another piece of luggage.

Classification of the baggage as Sporting Goods might be an issue, meaning anything not related to Shooting or in this case Firearms are not allowed.

After 10 trips I will once again use my Tuffpak with guns in hard cases and put firearm and shooting "related" items in with them up to the 40 pound limit. No clothes but maybe a lot of bubble wrap.

4 trips to Africa with key lock. No issues.

I pack the rifles in soft rifle cases surrounded with padded items inside the Tuffpak. I leave the soft cases unzipped down to the widest part which makes inspection easy as you can slide the rifles in and out. With a soft "plug" between the soft cases and the top of the Tuffpak I have never had a problem with the rifles slipping around. Just make sure the soft cases have a welt that prevents the stock being scratched as the rifle is being pulled in and out.

A

As I had mentioned before this started in Europe and now migrated to South Africa. Much like the ammo checked separate, this also started in Europe and RSA follows. RSA is not allowing clothing in the suitcase.

THE CLOTHING DIRECTIVE CAME DIRECTLY FROM MY TRAVEL AGENT, PATRICK WRIGHT.

My client was stopped by Delta last year and he had to repack all the clothing from his gun case to his suitcase. This is due to he Delta agent reading the directive from JNB.
I am sorry for those who love their Tufflack but it won't work the way it did. At least for Africa.

Just got back from 3 week’s in South Africa. Flew Delta from Shreveport,LA-Atlanta-Joburg, then Joburg-Atlanta-Shreveport,LA. Used a Tuffpak to transport our two rifles in soft Cases. In the bottom of the Tuffpak we had two jackets, two vests for cushion. Also had two rifle slings, hunting knives, leatherman, Allen wrenches and gun cleaning equipment. The only question we were asked in Shreveport and Joburg by Delta was are your firearms unloaded?? Then filled out the little orange card and that was it. This makes 9 international trips with our Tuffpak packed like this. Weighs right at 48 lbs. works great for us!! We also use Patrick for all our travel needs.
Randy

Just got back from 3 week’s in South Africa. Flew Delta from Shreveport,LA-Atlanta-Joburg, then Joburg-Atlanta-Shreveport,LA. Used a Tuffpak to transport our two rifles in soft Cases. In the bottom of the Tuffpak we had two jackets, two vests for cushion. Also had two rifle slings, hunting knives, leatherman, Allen wrenches and gun cleaning equipment. The only question we were asked in Shreveport and Joburg by Delta was are your firearms unloaded?? Then filled out the little orange card and that was it. This makes 9 international trips with our Tuffpak packed like this. Weighs right at 48 lbs. works great for us!! We also use Patrick for all our travel needs.
Randy
Randy
Glad to hear it all went well. You may have a bit of a work around on the new rules there. Maybe just a couple of items way down in the bottom won't cause concern.
Since I advise so many hunters I have to be clear about what the rules state, not what we can get by with. Air travel, guns or no guns, is unpredictable these days!
I look forward to your report.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Rosenth

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you