ttsx in 375 caliber - i see nothing above 250 grains

Datchew

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
School of hard knocks
Hunted
Texas, Oregon, Washington, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Maine, Tennessee
Tipped TSX.
I don't see options above 250 grains but the TSX goes up to 350.

I really prefer the TTSX for a little extra help opening but I can't find any available even on the Barnes website.

Is it because the bullet is too long with the plastic tip to fit the cartridge chamber limits?

I'd call Barnes or send them a email and get the information right from them.

I sent them a email when I found a problem in their loading manual and they got back to me fairly quick.

Tipped TSX.
I don't see options above 250 grains but the TSX goes up to 350.

I really prefer the TTSX for a little extra help opening but I can't find any available even on the Barnes website.

Is it because the bullet is too long with the plastic tip to fit the cartridge chamber limits?
TSX does not have a plastic tip, TTSX does and it would be a long bullet. A 300gr TSX is 1.492" long, the 250gr TTSX is 1.438' long.

Last edited:
well, you had good advice JimP.
I guess I've become conditioned by modern companies to abandon all hope of decent communications.
They actually answered the phone.

I was under the impression the tip helped expansion but he told me it's really for improvement of BC.
And for 375, I'm very unlikely to go outside 300 yards so I'm chasing a ghost and will stick with the TSX in 270 or 300.

Thanks guys.

The tip at the end of the TTSX bullet makeit too long for the 375H&H unless you are single feeding. CEB also makes heavy long bullets in .375 caliber that they list as “single feed”.

Minimal gains at realistic hunting distances to 300 yards. Not sure I’ve met a PH who would green light a shot at that distance with a 375H&H.

Last edited:
Don’t worry- the 300g TSX opens just fine!

They do make a tipped 270g 375 bullet- LRX. Basically a TTSX optimized for BC

Don’t worry- the 300g TSX opens just fine!

They do make a tipped 270g 375 bullet- LRX. Basically a TTSX optimized for BC
But you loose penetration with a lower SD. 300 grains and up is where to be for most African pursuits with a 375H&H. Especially true when looking at dangerous game.

But you loose penetration with a lower SD. 300 grains and up is where to be for most African pursuits with a 375H&H. Especially true when looking at dangerous game.
Correct. The LRX is designed as the Long Range X bullet. Dangerous game isn’t particularly dangerous at long range and is most enjoyably shot at close range.

Although designed for other types of hunting, I do suspect it would be perfectly adequate on dangerous game. X bullets of all sort retain basically 100% weight, so they penetrate well. After all, the 300g standard was established when bullets lost weight and it wasn’t the 300g in the air that mattered, it was the 250g after impact that did the penetrating. It would probably be the perfect “all around” bullet if one shoots some animals at range. For a dedicated dangerous game bullet, the 300g is probably a little better.

since we're trending that way... i'm currently leaning toward the 270 TSX vs the 300 for DG.
From what I've researched, even at odd angles, the 270 has gone completely through a cape buffalo, has a little extra velocity, and a bit even if negligible recoil reduction.
I just like the idea of having more elbow room for powder adjustment in load development.

Would be curious to hear your thoughts. I'll try both for which the gun prefers but i can't see 10% less mass really being a deciding factor

since we're trending that way... i'm currently leaning toward the 270 TSX vs the 300 for DG.
From what I've researched, even at odd angles, the 270 has gone completely through a cape buffalo, has a little extra velocity, and a bit even if negligible recoil reduction.
I just like the idea of having more elbow room for powder adjustment in load development.

Would be curious to hear your thoughts. I'll try both for which the gun prefers but i can't see 10% less mass really being a deciding factor
I’d like to hear what your PH would recommend if you didn’t tell him your plans. Just to get an unbiased perspective from a person who’s seen the majority of bullets in action.

Per Kevin Robertson's prose (Africa's Most Dangerous,) consider using the 350 gr TSX (if you find a 350 TTSX-I'll give you $100 for it plus the cigar case you ship it in!) as its SD is way over .300 and it performs just like the animal's been hit with a .416. That said, it is a little much for combo PG. But for the big stuff, the 350 Barnes and Woodleigh cannot be beat. With the big boy bullet, the 375 becomes equivalent to many other big bore DG cartridges...2,350-2,400 fps and even better penetrating power. I might still have a box lying around somewhere (I no longer have a 375 but my son does and he likes 270-300 gr factory stuff.) Norma PH factory ammo also features the 350 grainers. The Barnes TSX are well-liked by PHs as they perform more like a solid, and the Barnes banded solids cannot be beat for follow-ups, minimizing damage on tiny stuff (we got steinbok, dik-dik, and klipspringer w/ 'em) and of course all shots on Elephant, Hippo, Rhino. Due to bullet construction, the 270 TSX is just fine on Buffalo and smaller. The higher V makes up for the (numerically slight) drop in SD with a quasi-solid bullet of better construction. Good luck!

Most would say the 375 H&H is already fast enough

Per Kevin Robertson's prose (Africa's Most Dangerous,) consider using the 350 gr TSX (if you find a 350 TTSX-I'll give you $100 for it plus the cigar case you ship it in!) as its SD is way over .300 and it performs just like the animal's been hit with a .416. That said, it is a little much for combo PG. But for the big stuff, the 350 Barnes and Woodleigh cannot be beat. With the big boy bullet, the 375 becomes equivalent to many other big bore DG cartridges...2,350-2,400 fps and even better penetrating power. I might still have a box lying around somewhere (I no longer have a 375 but my son does and he likes 270-300 gr factory stuff.) Norma PH factory ammo also features the 350 grainers. The Barnes TSX are well-liked by PHs as they perform more like a solid, and the Barnes banded solids cannot be beat for follow-ups, minimizing damage on tiny stuff (we got steinbok, dik-dik, and klipspringer w/ 'em) and of course all shots on Elephant, Hippo, Rhino. Due to bullet construction, the 270 TSX is just fine on Buffalo and smaller. The higher V makes up for the (numerically slight) drop in SD with a quasi-solid bullet of better construction. Good luck!
Robertson said the 375 350 grain TSX needs a deeper hollow to insure expansion (poor design). I don’t think he ever spoke of that specific bullet in a favorable manner. Other 375 350 grain bullets sure, but not the TSX

Ya, I don't have a PH per say. (sounds like having a primary care physician
:D)

I spoke to one guy on Whatsapp that I'm planning to book with for summer 2025 for cape buffalo and he said 270 or 300 would be fine. Like most things I've read here, he also likes the A-frames.

I'm not hung up on either one of the barnes TSX sizes. I actually have a box of 270 & 300 recently acquired but not yet opened. my assumption going into it was based on typical usage of Barnes bullets. I.e., use a bullet grain 10-20% less than typical for caliber and run it a little faster with the expected result being similar to a normal bullet with less mass loss and more penetration.

I wish I had at least the pictures of the two bullets we took out of my Buffalo from this past August. Unfortunately, security in Joberg confiscated them. Long story I won’t go into here.
Anyway, they were Barnes 300 gr TSX hand loads that I worked up using RL15 powder. The muzzle velocity on them is 2475 fps.
All four petals were laid back perfectly, just like you see on the Barnes literature.
Barnes has earned my business time and time again.

Ya, I don't have a PH per say. (sounds like having a primary care physician
:D)

I spoke to one guy on Whatsapp that I'm planning to book with for summer 2025 for cape buffalo and he said 270 or 300 would be fine. Like most things I've read here, he also likes the A-frames.

I'm not hung up on either one of the barnes TSX sizes. I actually have a box of 270 & 300 recently acquired but not yet opened. my assumption going into it was based on typical usage of Barnes bullets. I.e., use a bullet grain 10-20% less than typical for caliber and run it a little faster with the expected result being similar to a normal bullet with less mass loss and more penetration.
Some may argue haveing a ph is more important than having a primary care physician

I plan on taking 270 and 300 grain loads on my next Buffalo hunt. Shooting two different buff with each load.
To be honest my 300tsx load shoots so well I am tempted to not mess with it.
Just really curious how the two bullets compare on the animal.
I can consistently ring 8 inch steel at 300 yards with my 300tsx load. But it does drop some.

Powder Valley has 350 tsx

If hunting DG, the TSX has no plastic tip to fail, possibly jamming the magazine.. 1 less thing to wrong. TSX will open fine.

300Gr Barnes TSX opens up just fine.
IMG_1524.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristelEn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double