Trophy - The Film

There was much about "Trophy" that I did not like. But it is also one of the very few such efforts that at least offers a basis for discussion and debate. The worst thing we can individually and collectively do is not participate.

Dear Mr. Parsons:

You are missing the boat on the documentary "Trophy". You have a life member participating and the first relatively balanced/nuanced discussion of hunting that I have seen come from the non-hunting community. The comment "We really wanted to shame the industry," is gratuitous and taken completely out of context. Please look at the film makers comments yourself. You might even consider viewing the documentary.

https://youtu.be/VJtAJ9NqikE

I am a Life Member of both SCI and DSC. I find less and less in common with the former organization - one that seems ever more self-absorbed, risk averse, and class conscious. Instead of engaging in whatever dialogue is generated by the showing on CNN, your recommendation that the membership of our organization obey a dictate to not watch it and to not even comment on it, is telling.

I can not tell you how disappointed I am with an organization that clearly seems to no longer support this hunter.

Respectfully,

Joe G. Taylor
Major General (Ret)
United States Army

Rick Parsons needs to watch the video! He is wrong about the film makers position. I've been ignored by SCI and embraced by DSC!
I am going to NYC to be on CNN and can't even get anyone at SCI to talk to me. I'd appreciate some AH help if anyone is so inclined to email the top brass at SCI. Don't get me wrong I am not asking them to support the film just be a part of the conversation! Any maybe support me, a life member of SCI.

Like I said in another thread, I sent an e-mail to Parsons and didn't even get a canned response....

It's really sad how disconnected from reality SCI seems to be. And Ego driven? Yeah... That....

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to @Philip Glass this afternoon and it seems that he finally reached the right people.

Hasn't SCI been a little more than sketchy when it comes to these things? How did they react during a certain Zim lion social media lynching? Just sayin!!!!

You mean when they booted the Doctor from SCI in what seemed to be an effort to avoid bad press for SCI more than anything else ?

This is the sort of thing that keeps me donating to DSC, buying auction hunts through DSC, what caused me to become a life member of DSC, why I volunteer at DSC events, etc..

And why SCI sees exactly $0.00 of my money year after year..

BOAT.jpg

Hasn't SCI been a little more than sketchy when it comes to these things? How did they react during a certain Zim lion social media lynching? Just sayin!!!!

SCI shirked their duty when it came to Cecil. They didn't make any statement as I recall, in fact they asked members to not comment on the subject.

DSC made a good statement and John Jackson made a good statement concerning Cecil. There may have been others.

As the primary international hunting organization, SCI has the duty to be our spokesman whether they like it or not. Phillip Glass has done more to represent a hunters side to this industry than SCI. He has exposed himself while SCI ducks for cover.

My family had an SCI membership since the early 1970's. About four years ago, I let my membership lapse. SCI no longer spoke for me. It got to the point that I had a membership for the magazine only. The magazine articles changed from hunting reports to stories about wine, cigars, furs, jewelry, etc. I no longer know what SCI does, but I know they no longer represent me.

I am really late to the party on this, but as most of you did I am sure, I got an email from SCI, Parsons today with a headsup that the movie will be on CNN this Sunday. I plan to watch it. Also it asks for support of Phillip Glass, a life member of SCI. Other than this I know almost nothing about this as I have not read this entire thread.

Member Alert
Dear SCI Members,
I would like to add something to my earlier message to you about the movie Trophy that will be broadcast on CNN this coming Sunday. One of the people who appears in the movie is SCI member Phillip Glass. We support Mr. Glass' effort to portray hunting and hunters well.

It has come to our attention that CNN has made some revisions to the original movie. We reviewed these. We note that there are messages in the movie about the devastation of poaching and the important role that hunters play in supporting anti-poaching. There are also messages in the movie about the complete utilization of an animal taken by a hunter, including providing meat for local villagers. There is also acknowledgment of the benefit a hunter provides by removing a marauding animal, while at the same time providing the funds for anti-poaching. Having said this, there are still elements of the movie that do not portray hunting, hunters or our organization in a positive light.

Our concern is that all of you be aware of this, and have the resources necessary to deal with any fallout.

If you or someone else from your chapter is contacted by the media requesting an interview or comment on the film, we ask that you contact our public relations team at scipr@theheraldgroup.com or call 202-617-3008 immediately. Our team will respond accordingly to the request.

Rick Parsons

CEO Safari Club International

LOL. Suspect his imminence's handlers had received some pushback from more than a couple of members.

I finally have some communication with SCI! It seems there was some confusion, maybe lots of confusion about the film. No one had actually seen the finished product and passed judgement on some early clips. I believe an honest mistake. I thank SCI for the support and the kindness they have shown me this week.
Regards,
Philip

Here is my CNN debate from last night:
Good job buddy and an especially good job keeping that summation in your pocket for the right moment.

Simply Marvelous

I finally have some communication with SCI! It seems there was some confusion, maybe lots of confusion about the film. No one had actually seen the finished product and passed judgement on some early clips. I believe an honest mistake. I thank SCI for the support and the kindness they have shown me this week.
Regards,
Philip

That's great! I'm happy they are showing some support, very happy.

I'm not quite as willing to let them off the hook for passing early judgment though. It should be standard practice to ensure that the latest and current information is used in a press release, and they didn't do that. They have a PR firm they pay lots of money to in order to get information out there, and it should be the right information and based upon the latest facts. To not even have watched the final version of the film they are commenting on months after it's release is inexcusable.

What they did made them look silly, uninformed, and out of touch. Can you imagine if they had come out this week and said they support PHASA for it's anti-CBL stance (based on the 2015 resolution)? :rolleyes: Well, that's basically what they did here...

I hope they change. We need them. Time will tell though...

Great job by Jane finishing up talking about poaching animals as a criticism to trophy hunting.:mad: I mean she makes a great point about educating future generations to cut demand for poached ivory, and horn. But she is trying to put trophy hunting in the same category as poaching.

And it seems both her and the dude on CNN are trying to minimalise the impact of the money from Trophy Hunting that goes towards conservation. They make a point the operators or outfitters get the majority of the money. But conveniently forgetting that it is those outfitters who maintain the concessions and properties that are THE basic need for any wildlife to survive. If not for hunting operations in those areas... It would soon be poached out.

@Philip Glass great job! You are the best spokesman I have seen take these antis on. Thank you for stepping up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you