Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Dear Colleagues,

I couldn't find similar topic on the forum although this was occasionally mentioned in "deals and offers", and other places.
Sometimes it looks they are exportable, and sometimes not.

So, what are the rules for trophy export for: managment hunts, cull, reduction hunts, meat hunts, etc

For South Africa & for Namibia?

- Exportable?

- Non - exportable?

- Conditionally exportable, under what conditions?

- VAT payable for non-exportable, or VAT payable for exportable trophies?

- any other usable info?

Dear Colleagues,

I couldn't find similar topic on the forum although this was occasionally mentioned in "deals and offers", and other places.
Sometimes it looks they are exportable, and sometimes not.

So, what are the rules for trophy export for: managment hunts, cull, reduction hunts, meat hunts, etc

For South Africa & for Namibia?

- Exportable?

- Non - exportable?

- Conditionally exportable, under what conditions?

- VAT payable for non-exportable, or VAT payable for exportable trophies?

- any other usable info?
I can perhaps help on some of this.

The answers will generally depend on two things: the species in question and the contract with the outfitter. In South Africa and Nambia, that contract will generally mirror the arrangements the outfitter has in place with the landowner (and thus the animal owner).

1. Species. If you are talking about an animal regulated by CITES, it may be that there is no CITES quota available for the export of non-trophy animals. This is generally the case for tuskless elephant for example. CITES issues no permits, to my knowledge, for female or non-trophy elephant. In the absence of a CITES quota, there can be no export permit issued (and of course no import permit, if one is required), so nothing of the animal can be exported.

2. Other animals. The position with respect to non-CITES species depends entirely on the arrnagments you have with your outfitter. These can generally be exported without difficulty. There may be one exception and here I would have to defer to those with more knowledge. If you have "culled" a ToPS (Threatened or Protected Species) animal in South Africa, you would need a special permit (permits are easy or harder to get, depending on the species and the area. Black wildebeest I believe are easy permits to get; oribi are not). But if it is legal to shoot the animal, it is legal to export it, but again, this would need to be confirmed.

With respect to "normal" animals, I have taken nyala and sable in South Africa just for the skins - old, broken horn examples - and got a good price from the outfitter in lieu of the "trophy fee." No issue with keeping and exporting the hides.

On the other hand, when culling springbok for example, a friend and I once took about 100 in a day, some of which would have been record book specimens. But the arrangements with the landowner were that he kept the entire animal. I have no doubt if we had wanted to, we could have approached the owner with an offer for certain of the trophies, but we did not. This was culling pure and simple - we were not differentiating between size or sex.

So in these cases, it depends entirely on the arrangements you have made. This means that if you see an old broken horned animal you would like to take for whatever reason, the first question should be "how much." The answer is a matter of negotiation. If the animal is what would be called a "managment" animal in the US, then you should bargain hard, since the landowner presumably wants it gone in any event, and no one will pay a trophy fee to shoot it. He would either have to shoot it himself to take it out of the gene pool, or pay a professional to do it.

Stalking and hunting these types of animals is just as exciting as hunting trophy versions, generally at a fraction of the cost. This can be important for people who have already, for example, taken a good specimen of a certain animal. For example, I have taken a number of nice buffalo, and have no more room for another similar head. But I love hunting buffalo, so the answer is to find buffalo that someone wants gone, or which have so worn down or broken their horns that no one would take them as a trophy animal. That's the one I want these days, at a fraction of the cost of a trophy specimen.

Thank you Hank, this is very detailed and time consuming answer!

One more question:

Is there limit on the age of animal? Speaking of non-cites or otherwise protected anuimals: PG.
are some animals too young for export, although taken out for any valid reason, or there is no lower age limit?

CITES is not age-dependent, nor is ToPS. But some places impose their own restrictions. For example, you can shoot a 5-year-old lion in Tanzania, but they announced some time ago that they would not issue permits for lions 6 years old or younger.

But with respect to plains game, which was your question, I am not aware of any limits on age other than those which might be imposed by a landowner and personal ethics. Once when culling a herd of blesbok - the landowner wanted all of them gone from a particular area - we shot all ages, and I will admit, shooting the babies did not come easily or sit well. I once took a shot at a monkey at the top of a tree (at the suggestion of my PH). The monkey was mostly hidden by leaves, but I could figure out where the body should be. Turned out I shot a baby off its mother's back. Not wanting to waste it, I had it tanned and stuffed, and now I have a baby monkey doll for children I don't like to play with. But there was no problem exporting it.

There are no age limits on what can be exported if the hunt was otherwise legal.

One thing to bear in mind in places like South Africa is that when you are asking about hunting laws (or really anywhere), you generally need to specify which province you are talking about, as many differ in minor and sometimes in major ways. There are federal laws which govern the entire country, but there are local laws as well.

As many have said elsewhere, it's important to know before you shoot something that you are legally able to do so. Don't take your PH's word for it that "it's OK." This isn't your question, but I know of some who have taken an animal after being told that the permit would be forthcoming . . . except it wasn't. Not a situation anyone wants to be in, but it isn't uncommon. Many people hunting plains game never think of taking serval for example, until they see one while hunting something else. But serval are a ToPS species, so the permit needs to be there before you shoot, not after (or worse, not at all).

But with age limits on plains game, you should be safe.

Excellent and clear answer! Many thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veronica

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!