Trophy Bonded Bear Claw Bullets

167DC60D-13DE-496E-B70C-3A5DA7DF67DE.jpeg
Check gunbroker.com-I’ve bought tbbc there regularly in the past. I also bought loaded ammo from midwayusa and pulled the bullets then reloaded them to my specs with excellent accuracy. Excellent bullets. Federal/Speer are really screwing themselves in the reloading dept. . . That’s my 100 yard group with 300 win mag and that’s my favorite load-taking 80 of them to south Africa next summer.

My new 35 Whelen loves the Federal TBBC ammo - sub MOA. But, not only are TBBC bullets not available as a component, Federal has discontinued the TBBC ammo for 35 Whelen as well! When I found that out, I bought everything I could find. So I've got that going for me and won't have to cook up a new load until it runs out, which should be a few years. When I do start reloading for it, I'm planning to start with the A-frames or TSXs. The A-frames are not cheap!

I did notice that Federal/Speer has started to offer the TBT bullets as components recently, at least in smaller calibers (270, 7mm, and 30).

The A-frame's may not be cheap but it is a negligible expense when compared to the expense of a safari. No matter the extra cost, use the best proven bullets
available. Why skimp on the single most important item which is the bullet chosen to kill the animal in the most efficient manner?

One wounded and lost animal due to inferior bullets will change anybody's mind.

Swift A-frame are one of the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well apparently if you want to reload TBBC bullets you can forget it according to an email reply I received from Speer. In essence, they said TBBC bullets are actually a Federal bullet that was distributed by Speer for a short time. Now they are just loaded into Federal ammunition and not available as a reloading component.

So if your gun doesn’t shoot the Federal TBBC ammo well, you have to find another option.

Just thought you guys would like to know.
Have a great day!

Try 350 grain billets by Woodleigh

Try 350 grain billets by Woodleigh
Dr Ray, if I were only going after Cape buffalo a 350 gr would be ideal. I was just in hopes a 300 gr would give me a little more range and expansion for a wider variety of animals so I wouldn’t need to resight-in, nor carry a variety of ammo. Lazy I guess:sleep:.

Dr Ray, if I were only going after Cape buffalo a 350 gr would be ideal. I was just in hopes a 300 gr would give me a little more range and expansion for a wider variety of animals so I wouldn’t need to resight-in, nor carry a variety of ammo. Lazy I guess:sleep:.

Point Taken. I like heavy for caliber but I see your point about range. Sectional density has a lot to consider too.

The A-frame's may not be cheap but it is a negligible expense when compared to the expense of a safari. No matter the extra cost, use the best proven bullets available.

Note that I didn’t say I wouldn’t use A-frames, just that Swift are very proud of them. For DG, it’s probably different. For PG, I’m pretty sure any of the “premium” bullets are fine. I used the (gasp) GMX for my PG hunt in May since my 300 WM seems to love them. The PH kept asking me what they were after hammering everything I shot at from 40 yards to well over 200. Shot placement matters more?

My buff experience is with 3 animals, so very limited. And I was observing, not shooting. But what I observed is that two bulls reacted quite similarly to A-Frames and TSXs out of 375s. The reaction was very different to a 416 Rigby with DGXs. Haven’t decided what bullet I’ll be using on buff, but I can tell you it will be with more gun than my 375.

If we follow the history of design we find that Bill Steigers developed his Bitterroot Bonded Core Bullets. The jacket was copper with its thickness determined by bullet diameter. the core was pure lead and it was bonded to the interior of the jacket. When Jack Carter decided to make his Trophy Bonded Bullets he was in regular consultation with Bill and his first model of TBBs were very similar to BBCs. This proved difficult to manufacture on a large scale so adjustments were made which resulted in the third variation of TBBs- the jacket was made from solid stock with the front portion machined out to hold a bonded lead core, leaving a solid copper shank. Jack sold his rights to Federal and it appears federal has determined it's profit line is better if they limit sales to complete ammo. So now North Fork enters the picture- by their own admission they virtually copied the third variation of the TBB, with a few adjustments such as the bands to compensate for the increase in pressure due to the solid shank. it appears to me that the North Fork is a fourth variation of Bill Steigers' BBC. If you want to shoot a 300 grain .375" bullet and you don't have access to Bill's or Jack's bullets, so won't be too far off by getting some North Forks.

Isn't the trophy bonded tip about the same design? They shoot great from my 300 win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you