Trophies Delivered, Trophy Room Almost Done

Looking good!!!

Houston, the Eland has landed ..........

I think "Eland" must mean, nothing is easy. Eland are hard to hunt, hard to kill and once you down one, they are hard to pose for photos and really hard to load in the truck. Once you get the trophy mounted, they are really big and hard to crate and ship. Nothing easy about getting it unloaded out of the crate and getting it through the door and into the house. Nothing comes easy with Eland. My plan was to put the Eland directly over my fireplace, temporarily holding the spot until I get a cape buffalo. My Eland sticks out from the wall 51 inches. I have 3/4" plywood behind the sheet rock and on the centerline of the chimney there is a 2x6 board behind the plywood. For most of the animals I hung, I simply drilled an undersize hole and hammered a 3 inch 16d nail. For my big elk and for the Eland, I went with a 5/16" x 3-1/2" lag screw.

It took 3 of us, two on 6 ft step stools and me on a 10 ft step ladder to get the Eland hanging on the wall. After a few beers and watching a little football, got the two Kudu up. Not a bad afternoon.

upload_2018-10-28_18-45-57.png

Looks spectacular

What a classy trophy room. One of the nicest I have seen!

Looks Great!

Eland is on my list for 2019! Due to (possible) size I still have not decided on type of mount I will do.

Pls let me know dimensions of the eland mount:

Lenght, width, height, and weight?

Height from lower chest tip to end of horn is most important!

And, what is the horn lenght only, overall lenght?

Thanks!

Looks fantastic Dave,
I cannot wait to see the x2 Bushbuck and Elise monster Waterbuck from the 2018 Hunt with us!
One day Ill have to come have a beer with you over there!
Keep well
Wik

What a classy trophy room. One of the nicest I have seen!
Agree, Dave's and @Red Leg are my 2 favorites. I plan on stealing ideas from both of them whenever I decide to build

Houston, the Eland has landed ..........

I think "Eland" must mean, nothing is easy. Eland are hard to hunt, hard to kill and once you down one, they are hard to pose for photos and really hard to load in the truck. Once you get the trophy mounted, they are really big and hard to crate and ship. Nothing easy about getting it unloaded out of the crate and getting it through the door and into the house. Nothing comes easy with Eland. My plan was to put the Eland directly over my fireplace, temporarily holding the spot until I get a cape buffalo. My Eland sticks out from the wall 51 inches. I have 3/4" plywood behind the sheet rock and on the centerline of the chimney there is a 2x6 board behind the plywood. For most of the animals I hung, I simply drilled an undersize hole and hammered a 3 inch 16d nail. For my big elk and for the Eland, I went with a 5/16" x 3-1/2" lag screw.

It took 3 of us, two on 6 ft step stools and me on a 10 ft step ladder to get the Eland hanging on the wall. After a few beers and watching a little football, got the two Kudu up. Not a bad afternoon.

View attachment 255321
Very nice - beautifully proportioned.

Looks fantastic Dave,
I cannot wait to see the x2 Bushbuck and Elise monster Waterbuck from the 2018 Hunt with us!
One day Ill have to come have a beer with you over there!
Keep well
Wik

Wik..........absolutely!

Agree, Dave's and @Red Leg are my 2 favorites. I plan on stealing ideas from both of them whenever I decide to build

A large door is needed! I am at the limit of working off of a 10 foot step ladder and will need scaffolding or a man-lift to hang stuff higher on the wall.

Eland and kudu look great!!

Looks Great!

Eland is on my list for 2019! Due to (possible) size I still have not decided on type of mount I will do.

Pls let me know dimensions of the eland mount:

Lenght, width, height, and weight?

Height from lower chest tip to end of horn is most important!

And, what is the horn lenght only, overall lenght?

Thanks!

Weight (guessing) is about 40-50 pounds.

upload_2018-10-29_15-17-35.png

Quite a size!

Thank you, 375 Ruger Fan!

We had a really nice fire this evening while watching football. I had to pull the Christmas stockings as they were getting a little too warm.

upload_2018-12-28_18-37-55.png

I jumped in this photo to give a sense of the size of the fireplace. The height of the mantel is a little over six feet tall

upload_2018-12-28_18-36-13.png

Impressive sir!

What a grand space to relax and plan your next Africa adventure!(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg