Nhoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe
Hi all, quick question. Does anyone know what weight trigger pull your DG rifle has and how much sear overlap ? I tend to err on the side of caution and safety, mine is about 3,5 lbs and the sear has 1,5 mm before it trips. My thoughts on sear overlap is that a super safe trigger will have creep because the sear has to move so far but it won’t fire if you bash it around. Have I over done the safety ?

3lbs crisp on both my 375 and my 416

Personally I think 1.5mm of travel is a bit much... but if your shoot the rifle well, that’s all that really matters... to each his own... I certainly can’t fault you for being safety conscious..

My trigger breaks at 3.5 lbs, it's a very clean pull and I can shoot it well offhand. I tend to try and get as much creep out as possible while maintaining safety.

My 404 Jeffery is kinda a mix of parts the trigger is Mauser military with two stage at first the plan was to replace it instead I decided smooth it up it has creep until the end then 3 pounds and very clean break. Which I grew to like while I was doing the action work .
The biggest thing is to use it often so you know it well.
Shawn

My 404 has a 3 lb Jewel, breaks like a glass rod.

Regardless of application, all my center fire rifles fire with 4 pound trigger pull as measured with Lyman scale.
No creep, no gimmicks they all fire when ready. Seriously, I usually do not remember a trigger pull, but do remember last sight picture/view.

I loaned a rifle to a friend for bullet testing in Africa and he remarked on the same phenomena when he recollected his kill shot on a big leopard.

My 404 Jeffery is kinda a mix of parts the trigger is Mauser military with two stage at first the plan was to replace it instead I decided smooth it up it has creep until the end then 3 pounds and very clean break. Which I grew to like while I was doing the action work .
The biggest thing is to use it often so you know it well.
Shawn

I'm a huge fan of the Mauser two stage trigger. For one, it is as safe as a trigger can be. For another, they can be given an extremely crisp break. As for the first stage, I cannot see why all the fuss. Take it up and you're ready.

safe triggers!
weight of pull has little to do with safety in triggers.
angles of the parts do.
the number of levers in the trigger, with correct angles, allows for lighter pull and reduced creep and backlash.
benchrest rifles have to be safe and reliable, and actually take more of a hammering than dangerous game rifles.
they use triggers with a minimum of 3 levers and some with 4, and can be adjusted absolutely safely down to less than 2 oz.
most factory hunting triggers only have 2 levers, and are built to a price, thus requiring more weight of pull to be safe.
some triggers like the new Winchester triggers are claimed to be 3 lever, but do not work like one, being more like a 2 lever system.
the beauty of such triggers as jewell is that they are designed and built with superior materials and to tighter tolerances.
they not only require no lubricant, but should be maintained as such.
thus they do not collect dust and grime.
you just need an action that such triggers will fit.
bruce.

My Blaser R8 in .375 livery comes from the factory at 1.6 pounds. It is the finest trigger on any rifle that I own - and that includes just a few.

2.5 lbs on my rifles, Win 70s and MRC, no take up, no creep, no overtravel. Glass rod break. Except my Ruger 77 6.5 CR. It is 2.6 lbs and has some overtravel that cannot be adjusted out. Just the nature of the beast. The only way to eliminate it is a different trigger. It really doesn't matter in the field. I don't notice it when I concentrate on the shot.

newboomer,
david tubb puts max overtravel into his triggers, and you cannot deny, he can shoot.
not for my taste, as I like no overtravel, but it goes to show there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.
bruce.

Last edited:
Tubb is not a good example... we should only be comparing humans to humans...

Tubb is a freaking machine...

1Kg. (2.2lbs) on mine.

If you don't go custom trigger, try certain lubes to smooth it out! I have had good luck mixing boron nitride with light grease after first burnishing in the bn. There are many commercial action smoothers as well.

Thanks All. Seems my 3,5 lbs is a little on the heavy side. Does anyone know how much overlap on the surfaces that actually trip or 'break' when the trigger releases ? My CZ started at maybe 4,5 lbs (estimate) pull but less creep. I think that the creep was not noticeable because I was pulling that much harder. I have found trying to shoot quickly and accurately puts pressure on my fundamentals and so I am trying to get the basics right-move feet body, get elbows in,pull back and smooth trigger pull. That is why I adjusted the trigger and trimmed the stock because I felt that I was stretching to reach and pushing sideways on the trigger.

An Arkansas stone slicked up my Pre 64 M70 years ago and it is still "just right" for me.

@bruce moulds, lighter fluid only for the Jewell's. :) For those that want to go lower than their factory triggers, consider an aftermarket version.

Would you guys all be comfortable hunting with a PH that had a Jewel trigger with a pull in ounces ? Or as a PH had a client with same ?

yes if it was a jewell or similar and he is familiar with it.
when you use one of them for a while, a 4 lb trigger is like a safety catch.
the danger comes when someone used to a trigger in lb weight goes to use it without knowing.
my Dakota and m70 both have jewells set at 8 oz, as does my fclass fifle which I shoot a lot.
these triggers are very safe if you drop the rifle, slam the bolt, etc, as they have enough levers to cater for such situations.
like any trigger, pushing them to the min limit of adjustment can reduce safety.
a jewell at 8 oz is WAY safer than a 2 lever factory trigger set at 1 lb.
I have not used my Dakota for years, and took it out to shoot a deer the other day, and it was just like an old friend.
incidentally it is correctly bedded in a brown precision stock, and I had no time to check zero.
BANG, right in the neck where I wanted the shot to get meat.
bruce.
p.s.
having seen some clients on videos, if I were a professional hunter I would cut up their rifles with a cutoff saw for the safety of the world, and certainly would not let them near an animal.
some of these pros then go on to praise the marksmanship of said client, praising them when they should be berating and belittling them, having wounded something badly.
the pro then goes on the shoot the animal, and then congratulates the client!
and said client knows so little that he believes it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg