Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
My CZ550 stock trigger felt like ripping a cat off a screen door, creep, stacking...junk.
Being worked at AHR right now for that very reason.
Prefer 2 to 2.5# with no take up and a clean break.
Heavy enough to feel with gloves, but breaks like a glass rod when pressed.

Von S.

AH fanatic
Reaction score
On my dangerous game rifles i set the triggers all at 5 to 7 pounds with a small amount of overtravel.

I have never cared for walking in a line with a guy in front or behind me with a possibly unsafe firearm.

After I get the trigger where I want it I bang he butt on a hard rubber pad on the ground to check it.

Best of luck.

Clodo Ferreira

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi,

Like rookhawk said. Far more important is a clean and crisp trigger pull that "breaks like a glass rod when pressed" than even 1 kg lighter but creepy one. Period!
I like single stage, clean and crisp trigger, with around 1,5 kg (between 3 and 3,5 pounds) for all my rifles.
By the way, all of them are Mauser M98 and variations like post II War Sporting FN ones, BRNOs ZKK and a Winchester 70 Pre 64 (1953). In the Mausers I worked their two stage military triggers to single stages, "a la Rigby" style. I test them in every manner trying to provoke an involuntary discharge. Entirely safe if done right. It can be regulated, also, in their after release travel with a fixed regulation (I did this with a small bolt inside the spring cup of the trigger) or a variable one with a screw
Depto 012.jpg
Depto 013.jpg
Disp 1.JPG
Disp 2.JPG
Depto 012.jpg
. Perfect!!!
This is a picture of the trigger so worked in my Mauser 98 M35 7x57:

Clodo Ferreira

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Care must be taken, in a modification like this, to put a stop IN FRONT of the trigger, in the trigger guard slot, to preserve the original Mauser design feature on this. Like Rigby and Holland & Holland did. Because, if not, the gun could be fired pushing the trigger forward! In the unmodified two stage Mauser trigger, the forward part of trigger finger rest in the trigger guard slot.

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
My DG rifle breaks fairly clean at about 3 lbs. I adjusted the stock CZ trigger to remove the hair trigger and polished the surfaces with 800 grit paper. I adjusted the sear overlap to a couple of mm to ensure the rifle is safe but that does mean there is a little creep. Life is full of compromises. I feel like my trigger is positive, you know you are pulling the trigger but it is not so heavy that it fires before you are ready. You have to try a little to fire it-dont know if that makes sense.

ldmay375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I try for a 3 lb pull on all my hunting rifles.
But trigger shoe leverage has an influence with me. I have a couple that break around 2.5 lbs and others that are maybe 3.5 lbs.

I dry fire Lots, whichever rifle I am going to use for the season.
I find as long as I am not switching rifles, I can adapt to a trigger pull between 2.5 to 4’ish pound pull. Preference is still 3.

I just don’t want one too light. And definitely get very familiar with the pull of what I am going to use. As most everyone, I like the “glass rod breaking” feel. Though definitely not the case in all my rifles.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Clean and just shy of three pounds for me.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
3-3.5 Lb. / 1.5 KG for me. I have about a dozen rifles adjusted to this weight. I hunt a lot in cold conditions with gloves on. Lighter triggers are not safe to use, where / how I usually hunt. Consistent pull weight on all my rifles and a crisp trigger on each one is more important to me than a very light pull. I do have a couple of varmint rifles used in warm conditions that also have a set trigger option. I won't use a set trigger for hunting large game.

MS 9x56

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I find a lot of us “seasoned” hunters who recieved military firearms training prefer the 2 stage triggers. Younger hunters trained on semi and full auto rifles ( and video games) not so much. To each his own use whatever works for you but most importantly, know your firearm and practice, practice and practice some more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deangelo92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh