Trigger pull for Dangerous Game

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Ironhorse375, Feb 7, 2018.

1. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    My CZ550 stock trigger felt like ripping a cat off a screen door, creep, stacking...junk.
    Being worked at AHR right now for that very reason.
    Prefer 2 to 2.5# with no take up and a clean break.
    Heavy enough to feel with gloves, but breaks like a glass rod when pressed.

2. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

On my dangerous game rifles i set the triggers all at 5 to 7 pounds with a small amount of overtravel.

I have never cared for walking in a line with a guy in front or behind me with a possibly unsafe firearm.

After I get the trigger where I want it I bang he butt on a hard rubber pad on the ground to check it.

Best of luck.

3. Clodo Ferreira

Clodo Ferreira AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hi,

Like rookhawk said. Far more important is a clean and crisp trigger pull that "breaks like a glass rod when pressed" than even 1 kg lighter but creepy one. Period!
    I like single stage, clean and crisp trigger, with around 1,5 kg (between 3 and 3,5 pounds) for all my rifles.
    By the way, all of them are Mauser M98 and variations like post II War Sporting FN ones, BRNOs ZKK and a Winchester 70 Pre 64 (1953). In the Mausers I worked their two stage military triggers to single stages, "a la Rigby" style. I test them in every manner trying to provoke an involuntary discharge. Entirely safe if done right. It can be regulated, also, in their after release travel with a fixed regulation (I did this with a small bolt inside the spring cup of the trigger) or a variable one with a screw Depto 012.jpg Depto 013.jpg Disp 1.JPG Disp 2.JPG Depto 012.jpg . Perfect!!!
    This is a picture of the trigger so worked in my Mauser 98 M35 7x57:

4. Clodo Ferreira

Clodo Ferreira AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Care must be taken, in a modification like this, to put a stop IN FRONT of the trigger, in the trigger guard slot, to preserve the original Mauser design feature on this. Like Rigby and Holland & Holland did. Because, if not, the gun could be fired pushing the trigger forward! In the unmodified two stage Mauser trigger, the forward part of trigger finger rest in the trigger guard slot.