Travelling To An African Hunting Destination Has Your Ammunition Ever Been Lost

Travelling By Air To An African Hunting Destination Has Your Ammunition Ever Been Lost

• yes

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • no

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • arrived later

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Well here's is update for me, I'm on my second trip and for the second time I made it to Africa and my rifle didn't. This time it was with Ethiopian Airlines flying into Zim. Will let you know how it goes but thought I could update this thread with another example, haha. My ammo did make it though.

Two trips.....no lost ammo, or guns, or luggage.

No never you should make sure all your firearms and ammo are with you if you lose those you might as well lie in the lions den. I've been hunting with Arc Hunting Safaris and in all the years I've hunted I haven't lost any of my weapons even when I travel to a hunting area.

Several trips only had ammo show up next day once from South Africa air as them made me remove it from my baggage and check it as its own main resign I advise to us a hard lockable case like the pelican 1150 or 1200 size for your ammo. Also just had my rifle show up next day on my last trip in June. Same thing it missed my connection in SA to Botswana. My advise to first timers don't worry to much things happen your PH and outfitter will always have a backup plan it's an inconvenience but don't let it ruin your trip and it is a slim chance it will happen in the first place.

4 trips and no issues, never when doing it domestic either..

We always split ammo between two different bags with some of each calibre in each bag. No lost ammo or rifles on five trips to Africa but rifles have been delayed a day or two on every Asian trip.

8 trips. Only happened once. Unfortunately it was a trip to Cameroon. Air France misplaced the ammo box, and it didn't arrive with me. I left for the jungle the next day on a charter, but still no ammo - only one flight a day from Paris, and it arrives late in the afternoon. The ammo finally arrived, but there was no way to get it to me, short of chartering another plane, so I got it on departure day. Gift for my PH.

Fortunately, I was using a .375 H&H, and there was some ammo available from my PH. And fortunately (or not, depending on your perspective), you don't pull the trigger too often in the jungle. 14 days, 3 shots. Two on one animal.

Lesson? Unusual calibers are best left at home when you're going to Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!