Traditionally inaccurate cartridges

... my Windham Weaponry SR-762 (AR platform) in 7.62x39 has been, even with cheap steel-cased ammo. ( ... ) a solid 2 MOA performer.
I'm betting it will do much better with good ammo.
I have some experience with (one of the best) AK derivatives, with peep sight and a target that might not be the best for pinpoint accuracy with the peep. Shooting at 150 meters, I generally got most of 10 rounds in the 10 cm (4") 10-ring.

target.jpg

On that note, I have frequently been impressed with how accurate my Windham Weaponry SR-762 (AR platform) in 7.62x39 has been, even with cheap steel-cased ammo. I really need to do a proper job of shooting for group size at 100 yards with good ammo one of these days; but even with the cheap stuff and a budget Bushnell scope on top, it has been a solid 2 MOA performer.
I knew someone on here had a 7.62 x 39 that could shoot!! AR platform is probably the way to go.

I seem to recall that Remington made some 788’s in .30-30. If that is true I’ll bet they were tack drivers.

I bought a Remington 788 in 30/30 about 2 years ago because I have a lot of 30/30 ammunition for lever action silhouette competition. The 788 in 30/30 shoots about the same as my 788 in 22/250 and better than my Remington 700 in 280.
Rimmed cartridges and forward locking bolt actions like a 700 or Mauser do not go together. The 788 is rear locking as are Winchester 94 and Marlin 336.
Despite being rear locking the 788 is inherently accurate because the receiver is very short and very stiff with a very small ejection port.
Rumor has it that Remington was embarrassed that it’s cheap 788 was more accurate than its more expensive 700.

Remington Model 788's had a faster lock time than did the M700. The 788's were often used for metallic silhouette competition two to three decades ago...

I bought a Remington 788 in 30/30 about 2 years ago because I have a lot of 30/30 ammunition for lever action silhouette competition. The 788 in 30/30 shoots about the same as my 788 in 22/250 and better than my Remington 700 in 280.
Rimmed cartridges and forward locking bolt actions like a 700 or Mauser do not go together. The 788 is rear locking as are Winchester 94 and Marlin 336.
Despite being rear locking the 788 is inherently accurate because the receiver is very short and very stiff with a very small ejection port.
Rumor has it that Remington was embarrassed that it’s cheap 788 was more accurate than its more expensive 700.

Agreed, the 788’s were impressive. I’ve had them in .222 and .243. Both rifles that should not have been sold.

A few years ago I had a custom FN Mauser action built into a 257 Roberts for my wife, the gunsmith fitted it to her and I put a Leopold 3-9x40 vx II scope on it. Now on it's best day it will probably shoot about an inch group with factory ammo however she's made one shot kills on every deer she shot at with it! It may not be a match grade rifle but I couldn't think of a more accurate rifle for her!

I'm betting it will do much better with good ammo.
I have some experience with (one of the best) AK derivatives, with peep sight and a target that might not be the best for pinpoint accuracy with the peep. Shooting at 150 meters, I generally got most of 10 rounds in the 10 cm (4") 10-ring.

View attachment 507702

Valmet ?

Any cartridge that has made it to production is accurate. Heck, a patched roundball in a 1700's flintlock offhand is accurate.

IMG_4949.jpg

I had 9 or 10 of them issued to me during my conscript service and a couple of Government temp jobs. I suspect some were by Valmet and some by Sako.

I suppose they were about as accurate as you can expect from a "military grade" carbine with peep sights. Chamber it for a bolt action and use good scope and high quality ammunition...

Agreed, the 788’s were impressive. I’ve had them in .222 and .243. Both rifles that should not have been sold.
In the mid '70s, Remington sold their 788 in a kit for about $80.00 or fully finished rifle for $90. If I remember correctly, the "kit" required one to finish the hardwood stock with the provided stain. This was when Winchester, Ruger and Remington (700) rifles were going for $157.00. My brother bought a finished 788 from the factory in .308, which he later gave to me. It was my son's first rifle and he killed three elk and several pronghorn with it. Many years later, I acquired a 788 in .22-250. Both rifles were very accurate.

The cartridges that immediately pop into my head as being "inaccurate" are the 45/70 govt, and the 7.62x39 but I bet someone out there has a tack driver in both calibers. The .270 did not come to mind lol. I agree with all the comments leaning towards inaccurate rifles, not calibers
My Ruger American Ranch rifle 7.62x39 is an ugly plastic stocked rifle, but it functions well & is accurate enough for me, scope is fixed 4x Weaver
IMG_20221229_0002.jpg
IMG_20221229_0003.jpg

My Ruger American Ranch rifle 7.62x39 is an ugly plastic stocked rifle, but it functions well & is accurate enough for me, scope is fixed 4x WeaverView attachment 508049View attachment 508050
Another rifle and cartridge that missed the memo.

That should have made the traditionally inherently inaccurate list. Loosen off an action screw so it performs as it should.

The 7.62x39 got its bad accuracy rap from the SKS, SKK, & AK Platforms in a bolt gun its a pleasure to shoot, its off spring the 22 ppc 6mm ppc & 6.5 Grendel are very accurate cartridges. A 7.62x39 improved case in a rifle with a 308 barrel out does the 300 black out by about 350 fps
with bullets in the 120 g to 135g range, low recoil, muzzle blast & noise.

Interesting about 257 Roberts not being accurate. I find mine gets 3 holes touching easily enough.

I was shooting my 404 Jeff last month. Figures are at target so MV likely about 2250 and SD a bit higher but seems accurate to me:

1672311728762.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you