Tipping Guide

The only problem with that is I think we would find a lot of "ground shrinkage" when we walk over to the dead animal, if we even knew what to look for in the first place.
You have to trust your PH - you have no other choice. There are lots of ways that a PH can impact your hunt, and being incentivized to get you animals isn't one that would concern me unduly.

For example, especially if you're on a package hunt, or an auction hunt, you may never see the "best" animals on a given property or if you do, your PH may say they're too small, or too young, etc. The "best" may well be saved for those paying top price, and you'd really never know. Or, if you've annoyed your PH somehow, you may find yourself doing a lot of walking, which may provide results, but likely not to the same extent as spotting and stalking from the vehicle.

I'm not saying these things happen regularly, but if you spend enough time in Africa and get to know some of the people well, you hear things.

I could go on, but I'll stop there. If you don't trust your PH, time to find another PH. There are some things tips won't fix.

I have only been on one PG hunt first time this year and I do not think the owner who also acts as the PH because he did not have the required PH's for the # of hunters and the contract called for 1x1. but the owner was my PH for 3 days and my main animal I really wanted was a Gemsbuck on the 3rd day out steps a great one with horns that would have gone 42 in, PH said closer to 44 but was not allowed to shoot it because he said it was a female, 3 days later new PH says shoot this one 37 1/2 very good one and turns out to be a female. I am happy about the animal but disappointed about the first one, needless to say first PH ticked me off for not letting me take a dream animal so tip was very small for him

I have only been on one PG hunt first time this year and I do not think the owner who also acts as the PH because he did not have the required PH's for the # of hunters and the contract called for 1x1. but the owner was my PH for 3 days and my main animal I really wanted was a Gemsbuck on the 3rd day out steps a great one with horns that would have gone 42 in, PH said closer to 44 but was not allowed to shoot it because he said it was a female, 3 days later new PH says shoot this one 37 1/2 very good one and turns out to be a female. I am happy about the animal but disappointed about the first one, needless to say first PH ticked me off for not letting me take a dream animal so tip was very small for him
The Gemsbok record books are dominated by females

You definitely should’ve been allowed to shoot the first one

I was not looking for the record book but when you see an outstanding animal you should be able to harvest it. even for the Blesbuck and Red Hartebeest it was no a female or its not old enough very frustrating though I did take those other animals along with a very nice Impala. I do not think I will hunt with that operation again and for a couple other reasons. but I do have the Arica bug and planning to go to the East Cape next May or June

Perhaps, the strong female was in prime of her breading age, and was necessary to keep her around for few more years.
Basically, it is PH job to determine, which animal to take, and which not to take.

In any case a hunter has the right to tip, or not to tip. Or to be satisfied or not. And it is questionable why to tip at all, if not happy with service?

It is not the first time, that client is not happy with service, but decides to tip, though a bit less then what he expected or planned in case of having satisfactory service.. So why tipping for unsatisfacory service?

It amazed me that after 51 pages people are still looking for Black and White rules in a Grey world. Basically, why do you care what others do, go by what satisfies and makes you feel happy/comfortable. The only parties involved who's opinions matter are you and your PH/Outfitter. You are never going to sway the opinions of others on here, but it is entertaining.:D Pop Popcorn:

Just to throw everything out of wack a bit.

On my hunt in June I tipped both my PH and tracker quite a bit more than what is expected. Both of them went above and beyond what would be expected on a plains game hunt. The tracker worked his rear off on two animals. One was a bad hit by me and the other just didn't want to go down. Not to mention my gemsbok that decided to die down in the bottom of a canyon where it took my tracker and 3 more to get him out of it.

So
No, I would not. Totally different in my perspective. But like much of this topic; a lot of different opinions. So choose the one you are most comfortable with.
So you would give nothing to the guy that climbed, sweated, shivered and bled for you for 10 days? All because he was PH and owner? This is terrible DieJager!

So

So you would give nothing to the guy that climbed, sweated, shivered and bled for you for 10 days? All because he was PH and owner? This is terrible DieJager!
Well if he or she did all of the above he would definitely get a tip (y). There is no definitive answer on this. I had more your typical SA hunt in mind where the PH is also the owner.

There or so much different scenarios possible that each one of us could write our own guide.

Well if he or she did all of the above he would definitely get a tip (y). There is no definitive answer on this. I had more your typical SA hunt in mind where the PH is also the owner.

There or so much different scenarios possible that each one of us could write our own guide.
In the 1970's IO worked at an auto repair garage that also sold parts. One day an owner showed me something in the parts books. Look up ignition points for a Chevrolet V8 and the price. Then look up points for a Cadillac V8. Same part number but the Cadillac part price was higher. Cadillac owner expects to pay more for anything related to his brand of vehicle.
If a PH/owner is not used to tipping clients and starts getting tipped how long before he expects tips?
What happens if a PH moves to an area where tipping is not done when he/she is used to tips?

I'll just say it took a lot of getting used to for me to tip. Even now I want a guide of some sort, so it doesn't turn into a fiasco. IE; me not doing what I should.
I am also going to say tipping isn't an excuse for cheap assed business owners to rob their workers then expect someone else to make it up. In some areas of business that seems be a business owners standard.

Tips for owner/PH? Of course it is all up to the visiting hunter as to who receives what. Sometimes after a hunt a camp is all smiles. Other times all goes quiet. Like once after a particularly successful buffalo hunt, the visiting hunter called each worker to his tent and gave each a crisp "one dollar bill", he had heard that the average wage in Zimbabwe was one to two dollars and he figured one days wages was a big tip. I think his PH go a "ten".

The average work day for a PH (campfire does not count) is around 13hrs. Trackers 13Hrs. Camp staff 18hrs. If the owner is also the PH 18hrs..

Just came from Zim/Zambia. The tips are dependent on the work and effort. My general rules.
PH - $1000/week or $100/day depending on the hunt type.
Trackers and driver - $20/day or $10/day depending on hunt.
Cook - $100/week
Waiters - $10/day
Camp staff/maintenance - $5/day

I also did glamping for 10 days in Zim
$10 per person/day for guides
$5 per person/day for staff

It adds up, by the time I was done tips were North of $7K for 35 days in Africa. In a lot of countries tips are factored into compensation of staff.

Just came from Zim/Zambia. The tips are dependent on the work and effort. My general rules.
Cook - $100/week
Waiters - $10/day

It adds up, by the time I was done tips were North of $7K for 35 days in Africa. In a lot of countries tips are factored into compensation of staff.

That sounds about right for an American.

I have found that for dangeorus game safaris, the operators will charge Europeans considerably more for their hunts to offset the lack of tipping as a custom. Best that everyone involved figures out these scenarios going in.

The only place in the world I’ve visited where I found the service intolerably bad was Europe. I then noticed that nobody tipped? I tried tipping generously but it didn’t move the needle at all because the person doing the work and the person bussing tables that likely pocketed the tips weren’t the same people. It’s pretty easy to observe human nature to figure out who is working for a tip and who is salaried.

At any rate, everyone needs to figure on a safari whether they are being charged the European rate with the assumption of no tipping or the discounted North American rate in anticipation of tipping. If the services rendered were very good, assume they wanted to earn their dinners. If the services are mediocre, assume they aren’t anticipating.

Last edited:
I am not aware that operators charge europeans more because of a lack of tips, but I would be very interested.

I therefore expect a statement from the professionals on the forum to confirm this.

I have always given generous tips up to now, but if that's the case, then I won't need to give any more in the future.

By the way, you cannot generalize about Europe like you can about the USA. The language and habits of the European population change over a short distance. What applies somewhere, sometimes no longer applies a few miles away because you are already in another country with very different people who speak a very different language.

Anyone who believes that the same people with the same language, the same manners,... and the same tipping habits, ..live everywhere in Europe, urgently needs geographical and historical lessons.

I also like to leave gifts. Last trip I left a really warm fleece jacket for our tracker.

But I never consider that when tipping. That is just a gift. The trackers can't feed their family with hunting cloths and binocs...unless they sell them.

Never confuse non-monetary gifts with money.

I am not aware that operators charge europeans more because of a lack of tips, but I would be very interested.

I therefore expect a statement from the professionals on the forum to confirm this.

I have always given generous tips up to now, but if that's the case, then I won't need to give any more in the future.

By the way, you cannot generalize about Europe like you can about the USA. The language and habits of the European population change over a short distance. What applies somewhere, sometimes no longer applies a few miles away because you are already in another country with very different people who speak a very different language.

Anyone who believes that the same people with the same language, the same manners,... and the same tipping habits, ..live everywhere in Europe, urgently needs geographical and historical lessons.

You'll find that some operators have a different price list for different regions of the world. That's not meant to insult any culture, its meant to address customer expectations of what someone gets for their money in terms of services, etc.

Americans like "all inclusive" prices in many regards so some operators price in drop-off to/from airport, plus salt, plus delivery to taxidermist, plus beer/wine in their pricing package. Other cultures like itemized bills because they may say "i don't need salt, I only take skulls" or they are intending to do sight-seeing before or after and thus do not need car services.

There is yet another price list for in-country guests that have an expectation of lower trophy quality but demand to take all the meat with them as groceries for the next year.

I have found that for dangeorus game safaris, the operators will charge Europeans considerably more for their hunts to offset the lack of tipping as a custom. Best that everyone involved figures out these scenarios going in.

Hmmm, all the Safaris I have been in had the same rate for everyone, it was published.
Americans like "all inclusive" prices in many regards so some operators price in drop-off to/from airport, plus salt, plus delivery to taxidermist, plus beer/wine in their pricing package. Other cultures like itemized bills because they may say "i don't need salt, I only take skulls" or they are intending to do sight-seeing before or after and thus do not need car services.

I like itemized bills as well. Transfers to hunting areas, dip and pack etc. are itemized items in the bills I receive. I have never been billed for beer and/or wine. Of course, I don't hunt in RSA and have noticed "packages" are different there as in other countries it is daily rate plus trophy fee as trophies are not guaranteed like they are in RSA game farms.

Last edited:
Cook - $100/week
Waiters - $10/day

Hope all went well…Looking foward to the hunt report…

I was not looking for the record book but when you see an outstanding animal you should be able to harvest it. even for the Blesbuck and Red Hartebeest it was no a female or its not old enough very frustrating though I did take those other animals along with a very nice Impala. I do not think I will hunt with that operation again and for a couple other reasons. but I do have the Arica bug and planning to go to the East Cape next May or June
Reach out to Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris
He will take great care of you

Also some countries and locations you are not allowed to shoot females and generally I wouldn’t

But Gemsbok the females score higher than the males and in Namibia it is more common to take females than males and the females dominate the record books even if you don’t care about record books

But just be aware that your PH was probably following the law or the requirements of the place you were hunting.

I would absolutely agree. The notion that some region of Spain is like some region of France is like a region in Italy or the UK is just wrong. Much like the US, I have had fabulous and not so great service in Europe. I have never had anything but superb service from guides and national park/ wildlife management personnel on any hunt in Europe in any country. I should note I do that a good bit there.

Somewhere in this interminable thread I have noted that I do tip in Europe. In restaurants, it is always a cash tip regardless how I paid for it. I have never seen a hint of lack of appreciation. In Rome we were practically tackled at the door by the manager to please sit down and have an lemoncello before heading off on our tourist thing. In Austria it was a schnapps and in the Spessart near Wurzburg the owner opened a magnificent Silvaner trokenbeerenauslese and thanked us for our generosity to his daughter (our server).

I am doing my best to change the culture one server and driver at a time. :cool:

But I have no complaints about the service we have been offered. Indeed, I would urge anyone who believes it is universally bad, to spend a few days at the Hotel Le Meurice in Paris, the Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg, or any number of small lovely boutique hotels in Italy. In fact the only truly rude service we have ever experienced was in London. Twice.

And I have never seen two price listings for Europe and the US. What deals may be struck at an outdoor show is a different issue I suppose. But different price lists?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross