Thoughts on the 9.3 x 62 Mauser

Yes its allowed here, Namibia and in zim. In fact I think its permitted everywhere in practice even though a number of countries stipulate .375.

Thanks!! Yes it was!! The mate who bequeathed it to me has 3 sons who are all senior police officers over here. When I was told the rifle was missing, I called them up saying that the police station had 48hrs to get the rifle back (it was one of THIRTEEN firearms that were noted as missing!!), or I'd be going to the media. I got the rifle - albeit with every screw loose - in under 24hrs!!

Its a lovely rifle! The action has been lapped, and has a fixed 4x Pecar Belin scope on roll on-roll off mounts. Sprinter barrel with band, and with two identical stocks (the other is pristine and stays wrapped up). It came with 600 270gr projectiles, 200 Lapua brass and Custom Grade dies. My mate knew I loved this rifle, and though he never got to use it in Africa, as intended - I'm soon going to rectify this on his behalf. (y)
May I ask for a little more on that story, sounds interesting! What part of the country was this?

Adding my 2c on the x62.... Living and hunting in RSA I get to enjoy the different terrains. I have a 300 mag (H&H version of course:whistle:) which handles the largest plains dwellers at distance. I have a 416 Rigby for the bigger boys but the rifle is heavy and despite the weight it still packs a lot of punch at the butt end, so it's not so much fun as a bushveld rifle. So that's how I ended up with the 9.3...

I held out for ages (at least a year, which is more than any gun nut can wait) for a fullstock rifle. But just couldn't find anything suitable. Gun laws being what they are in RSA means that imports of new guns are unpredictable and no local gun-makers are keen for fullstock projects. Eventually a well-priced new CZ crossed my path and my patience being long since exhausted I bought it. A conventionally stocked rifle with the 23.6" barrel. While it wasn't necessarily my first choice rifle the positives are that the CZ is a good tough working gun and a bushveld gun is always going to fall victim to the thorns and a few bumps, so a few scrapes aren't a train smash.

My thinking was that the 9.3 could also work as a back-up DG rifle if the 416 was out of action. I have tried a variety of bullets in it so far - mostly 285/286 grainers: PMP (locally made cup n core), PRVI, Norma Oryx, Peregrine 230gr, RWS 293gr TUG and Woodleigh 320gr. Also some Barnes banded solids.
The PMP have proven to be accurate (close to 0.5" grouping at 100m) so I've fired off a lot of those - best grouping around 2350f/s although I've pushed them a bit faster. I shoot most of the 286s between 2350 and 2400. Being a short-range bush gun, speed really is secondary to accuracy. Given the accuracy of my combo, I would happily take shots out to 250m with confidence.

One drawback of the lightweight CZ (just over 3kg/around 7lbs) is that the recoil is a bit snappy off the bench. No issues in the field but shooting lots of rounds at the range gets old.

From a hunting perspective, the 9.3 is a very effective killer in the bush. I've mostly shot smaller game like impala and warthogs to test the gun/bullet combos out. Even the PMP bullets, which have a poor reputation in the faster calibres here, have performed very well. The relatively low velocity means that the toughest premiums and monos are a not necessity - not for non-DG anyway. I've had quite a few bang-flops even on heart/lung shots, which are not the norm. The bullets I've recovered have demonstrated perfect mushrooms - unless significant bone has been hit, the bullets usually pass through (and these have been conventional soft cup n cores). I suspect monos may well be less effective because they may not mushroom readily. I haven't shot any game with the heavy Woodleighs yet, so no feedback on those.

I would choose the most accurate bullet for the rifle and hunt with that - I wouldn't worry about how 'premium' that bullet was. Obviously with bigger DG different rules would prevail.

Adding my 2c on the x62.... Living and hunting in RSA I get to enjoy the different terrains. I have a 300 mag (H&H version of course:whistle:) which handles the largest plains dwellers at distance. I have a 416 Rigby for the bigger boys but the rifle is heavy and despite the weight it still packs a lot of punch at the butt end, so it's not so much fun as a bushveld rifle. So that's how I ended up with the 9.3...

I held out for ages (at least a year, which is more than any gun nut can wait) for a fullstock rifle. But just couldn't find anything suitable. Gun laws being what they are in RSA means that imports of new guns are unpredictable and no local gun-makers are keen for fullstock projects. Eventually a well-priced new CZ crossed my path and my patience being long since exhausted I bought it. A conventionally stocked rifle with the 23.6" barrel. While it wasn't necessarily my first choice rifle the positives are that the CZ is a good tough working gun and a bushveld gun is always going to fall victim to the thorns and a few bumps, so a few scrapes aren't a train smash.

My thinking was that the 9.3 could also work as a back-up DG rifle if the 416 was out of action. I have tried a variety of bullets in it so far - mostly 285/286 grainers: PMP (locally made cup n core), PRVI, Norma Oryx, Peregrine 230gr, RWS 293gr TUG and Woodleigh 320gr. Also some Barnes banded solids.
The PMP have proven to be accurate (close to 0.5" grouping at 100m) so I've fired off a lot of those - best grouping around 2350f/s although I've pushed them a bit faster. I shoot most of the 286s between 2350 and 2400. Being a short-range bush gun, speed really is secondary to accuracy. Given the accuracy of my combo, I would happily take shots out to 250m with confidence.

One drawback of the lightweight CZ (just over 3kg/around 7lbs) is that the recoil is a bit snappy off the bench. No issues in the field but shooting lots of rounds at the range gets old.

From a hunting perspective, the 9.3 is a very effective killer in the bush. I've mostly shot smaller game like impala and warthogs to test the gun/bullet combos out. Even the PMP bullets, which have a poor reputation in the faster calibres here, have performed very well. The relatively low velocity means that the toughest premiums and monos are a not necessity - not for non-DG anyway. I've had quite a few bang-flops even on heart/lung shots, which are not the norm. The bullets I've recovered have demonstrated perfect mushrooms - unless significant bone has been hit, the bullets usually pass through (and these have been conventional soft cup n cores). I suspect monos may well be less effective because they may not mushroom readily. I haven't shot any game with the heavy Woodleighs yet, so no feedback on those.

I would choose the most accurate bullet for the rifle and hunt with that - I wouldn't worry about how 'premium' that bullet was. Obviously with bigger DG different rules would prevail.
Is yours a CZ 550 LUX model?

Mmm not actually sure. I think it's just the standard model. It has the European sloping/hogsback stock. It came with a plastic magazine floorplate which I had changed to steel when I had my gunsmith give it the once-over and smooth up the action.

Hello my fellow hunters and rifle enthusiasts,

I'm definitely +1 with stug in regards to the long range capability of our most common 9.3 cartridges.
I suppose for someone who shoots a 14 pound .338 Lapua or, .50 Browning MG caliber that, looks more like a science fiction movie prop than it does a hunting rifle, complete with a working replica of the Hubble telescope, mounted in 4 or more industrial sized rings and a muzzle brake that resembles a gigantic harmonica, the term "long range" might mean something beginning well beyond 500 yards / meters.
But, for the rest of us simple souls, primarily interested in what a portable, if not perfectly handy hunting rifle will do, I think "long range" probably describes something beginning and ending around 300 yds/mtrs (or maybe 400).

Well any way, in regards to this specific caliber thread, mine is a 9.3x62 and it's made on a commercial (not military surplus) FN 1950's vintage, Model 98 Mauser action.
It has a 23 inch, medium sporter-weight barrel and "only" a 4x scope, (plus British style express sights, in case I break the scope).
Shooting Privi-Partizan brand 286 grain round nose softs from this rifle, I can hit a large dinner plate size target at 300 meters, from standing with sticks, every time (However, about 200 meters is my personal limit when using the open sights on this rifle).
The above factory loaded bullets, are leaving the muzzle around 2300 feet per second, perhaps a tic more.
I have tried hand loaded 285 grain Nosler Partitons, at about the same speed and found them very accurate but sadly, I've yet to hunt anything with this rifle.
Anyway, with my scope zeroed at 100, I have to hold a little high for center hits at 300 but, not much.

Furthermore, I have not fired my 9.3 at any target beyond 300 measured meters (pre-marked rifle range) so, I can only guess from reading ballistic data that, very far beyond 300, the heavy bullet will begin to loose trajectory fast.
There are lighter, flatter shooting bullets available for the 9.3's, such as the 232 grain spitzer but, I have not seen fit to try them.

My parting shot as it were:
Many of my fellow North Americans seem enamored with various .300 magnums / 165 to 180 grain spitzers for most all their hunting, including in thick African thornbush, where a very long shot MIGHT be 200 paces, across a water hole or canyon.
I think it may have been Craig Boddington that wrote something like "Realistically, in perhaps 80% of huntable Africa, the conditions are moderate to thick bush" (or something like that).

So, if hunting in such common Africa conditions, the 9.3's with heavy bullet, IMO are superior to any .30 caliber, (dreaded magnum or otherwise), in every way - especially when considering valuable meat for eating and skins for taxidermy, not splattered all over creation.
That said and in all fairness to the high velocity crowd, the .300's are quite excellent for so called "plains game" hunting in wide open conditions.
Most of Namibia and South Africa's Eastern Cape come to mind, as places where, a .300 magnum will be the better choice over any 9.3.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
@Velo Dog
What you are saying is correct but most PHs will try and get you into 200 yards or less.i only had 1 shot at 275 yards the rest were under 200 with a couple at 120 yards.
Bob.

Velo Dog has it spot on, with maybe 1 exception. I own more than 10 rifles and have hunted pretty much the whole of Southern Africa. As he correctly says, it is rare to have to have to take a shot over 200m in these parts. In fact, ranges of around 75m are considered average in bushveld areas as you generally cant see further that. For this type of terrain the 9.3x62 is hard to beat as it is light and handy but still packs a significant punch. That said, the Southwestern parts of the region consist mainly of desert and semi-desert and ranges there can be long. (200m would be considered close). While the 9.3 can manage 300m, especially if loaded with lighter bullets it is not ideal for those applications; the preferred calibres being 7mm Rem Mag , 300WM, etc. The .338WM is also a good long range cartridge with appropriate bullets and performs well on anything you can name at "bush" ranges when loaded with heavy premium bullets. This makes it more versatile and a better "1 gun option" than the 9.3 for most visiting hunters. The only downside to the calibre is that it is not legal for use on Thick skinned dangerous game in many African states. Another is "overpenetration", but then the .416's also suffer from the same "problem"

To put all of that in perspective and to explain the point I was really seeking to make, Africa is not a single region with uniform terrain. True, when most people refer to Africa they mean places like the South African bushveld, Zambesi valley, etc. However there are also arid regions like the Kalahari , the Karoo and those regions which border on the Sahara. In addition, there are mountainous regions where long shots and shots at steep angles are the order of the day. Thus, there is no "one gun" African solution- everything depends on region/terrain and the species being hunted.

@Velo Dog
What you are saying is correct but most PHs will try and get you into 200 yards or less.i only had 1 shot at 275 yards the rest were under 200 with a couple at 120 yards.
Bob.
You and I agree on this.
IE: Close-in stalking has also been my experience with very few, somewhat rare exceptions.
African PH’s IMO are true experts at stalking wary game animals.

The 9.3 x 62 caliber has an iconic following in South Africa ....there is no other caliber so much sought after as the Mauser 9.3 x 62 here in South Africa. A decent good condition well looked after rifle in the 9.3 x 62 caliber ( if it gets available at all since owners of a Mauser 9.3 x 62 rifle will never sell it ) it fetches a high price for the seller.
I am still waiting for my Mauser 9.3 x 62 ...somewhere it is standing in a rifle safe on a farm with a third generation farmers family..I just need to convince them that this rifle will have a special place in my own rifle safe.. (y)

In the meantime I am planning a 9.3 x 70 DWM Mauser rifle build ...I already have the re-loading dies, send the reamer blue print off to a reamer company in the USA ..so while waiting for my 9.3 x 62 Mauser rifle to find a place in my rifle safe this build will keep me busy to pass the time waiting for my 9.3 x 62 Mauser to get it`s way into my rifle safe..(y)(y)

The 9.3 x 62 caliber has an iconic following in South Africa ....there is no other caliber so much sought after as the Mauser 9.3 x 62 here in South Africa. A decent good condition well looked after rifle in the 9.3 x 62 caliber ( if it gets available at all since owners of a Mauser 9.3 x 62 rifle will never sell it ) it fetches a high price for the seller.
I am still waiting for my Mauser 9.3 x 62 ...somewhere it is standing in a rifle safe on a farm with a third generation farmers family..I just need to convince them that this rifle will have a special place in my own rifle safe.. (y)

In the meantime I am planning a 9.3 x 70 DWM Mauser rifle build ...I already have the re-loading dies, send the reamer blue print off to a reamer company in the USA ..so while waiting for my 9.3 x 62 Mauser rifle to find a place in my rifle safe this build will keep me busy to pass the time waiting for my 9.3 x 62 Mauser to get it`s way into my rifle safe..(y)(y)
I actually have 2 x 9.3 x 62 (both CZ's) and would love to add a 9.3 Alaskan (9.3/338). Have considered converting one of my 9.3x62's but I think the calibre calls for a heavier rifle

I actually have 2 x 9.3 x 62 (both CZ's) and would love to add a 9.3 Alaskan (9.3/338). Have considered converting one of my 9.3x62's but I think the calibre calls for a heavier rifle
Daga Boy, I have a proposition for you: I am going to build a 9x3x70 DWM caliber rifle . I already have the blueprints for the reamer stored at Passific /Tool/gauge reamer company, the re-loading dies I managed to get hold for me by my great friend Georg Poppel in Germany, there is a company who has more re-loading die sets in the 9.3 x70 DWM caliber. The casings are normal 404 Jeffery brass ...why don`t you join me in such a build?

You already have the rifle. just make the reamer and ream the chamber ...re-loading dies you can buy, 404 Jeffery brass is readily available (y) (y)
Just let me know I will give PTG reamer company the go ahead to release the reamer specs for you and make a reamer for you. This invitation is extended to every member of this forum.

New member here. I very recently acquired a Husqvarna FN 98 chambered in 9.3 x 62. Just curious as to your thoughts/feedback on this rifle/caliber combination.

View attachment 218993
Good day sir. The 9.3X62 is an outstanding round. It has become my favorite medium bore rifle. Like the other gent who replied, my 375 is gathering dust. I leave for Namibia at the end of this month and I'll be using my 9.3. Factory ammo is held down to original cordite pressures which is still very effective to this day. But if you're a handloader with modern powders and premium bullets it can nip at the heels of the 375 H&H. Performance with Swift A-Frames, Barnes TSX and certainly various Woodleigh bullets will amaze you at what you can take. Enjoy that rifle, it's a winner.

P4040001_01.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just let me know I will give PTG reamer company the go ahead to release the reamer specs for you and make a reamer for you. This invitation is extended to every member of this forum.
Hi Gert. I cant find much on this calibre on the net - and what I can find is in German. What is the performance /how does it compare to the 9.3/338 , and does it fit into a medium length CZ550 action, or only in a full length magnum action? (The main appeal of the 9.3 for me is that it is handy - much more so than most .375's)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhakhoa123

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,