Thoughts on putting a 3x9 scope on 375?

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
Is there any real reason not to mount a 3x9 scope on a 375 h&h which would be used on Buffalo down to diker, with backup iron sights, ranges out to 200 yards. Why or why not?

Watching to see what the experienced lads have to say...

I put a 3-9x40 on my .375 a long time ago. Never seen any reason to replace it.

I like the 1.5 x 5 or the 1.25x 4. Leupolds. For 200 yard shot these are plenty.
Exactly what I have on mine - has always been plenty even out to 300 yds.

For a .375, especially with buff on the menu, I think you want 1-1.5x on the low end. On the high end, 6-8x is fine for taking on game like impala out to 250-300 yds, so 200 yds is well within its ability.
That said, you could do worse than 3-9x but I think you’d be better off with the lower low end.

Reactions: cmk
Not one I can think of. I guess if it is your primary DG rifle and 3x is just to much then by all means put a 1-5 on it. A 3-9 in QD rings is a pretty handy set up. I have never felt disadvantaged with 3x as my low end.

My Win 70 in .375 used to sport a zeiss 3-9x40.. I used that combo on a PG hunt in 2017 and it worked wonderfully..

I have since replaced the 3-9x40 with a 1-6x optic.. At one point (prior to building my .416) I thought the .375 would be my primary rifle for a planned buff hunt.. and I wanted the true 1x capability for close in shots..

I ended up not taking the .375 on my buff hunt.. and have decided to either put the 3-9 back on it or to go with a zeiss 2-7x that I have collecting dust in the safe... I just havent gotten around to doing it yet..

3x field of view I think will be kind of narrow for potential cape buffalo hunting, unless you're hunting open country. I'm sure lots of folks find that acceptable, but I'm just not one of them.

Is there any real reason not to mount a 3x9 scope on a 375 h&h which would be used on Buffalo down to diker, with backup iron sights, ranges out to 200 yards. Why or why not?

Go for it !

It will work just fine. I have a 2x10 on mine and shot the buff in my avatar with it. I've also shot a wildebeest at over 200 yards without a problem.

It makes for a great all around rifle. And I promise you there have been more buff shot with a 3x9 scope than anyone will admit.

I answered this question several months back. My thinking on this subject hasn't changed, so here goes. The 375 H&H is a very versatile caliber. It can be used up close and personal for DG and when coupled with lighter bullets reach out and touch smaller game at considerable shooting distances. The answer then is two scopes with QD / Q rings. One scope being a 1.5 -5 or similar and the other a 3-9X. You then have the best of both worlds. In a matter of seconds the scopes can be removed leaving the rifle with iron sights.

I answered this question several months back. My thinking on this subject hasn't changed, so here goes. The 375 H&H is a very versatile caliber. It can be used up close and personal for DG and when coupled with lighter bullets reach out and touch smaller game at considerable shooting distances. The answer then is two scopes with QD / Q rings. One scope being a 1.5 -5 or similar and the other a 3-9X. You then have the best of both worlds. In a matter of seconds the scopes can be removed leaving the rifle with iron sights.

@Shootist43 i think this is the best advice. From this advice I have a 1.25-4x and a 3-15x on QD mounts for my .375.

I put a 2-8x42 on mine and used it with great success a couple of weeks ago at distances from 30m to 200m.

I have a 2x10 on mine, but if I was on hunting buff, I would put a something with a 1 power on the bottom end. Some people have no problem shooting with both eyes open on something other than 1x, I'm just not one of them.

With respect to all, I have never shot at anything with my .375 beyond 300 yards, and have never had to increase magnification above 6 power for a shot. I also don't get the need to bring two weights of ammo. I have killed all my buffalo and a truck load (large truck) of plains game all with the 300 gr bullet. One could do the same with a quality 270 gr projectile. Nothing was beyond 300 yards, and if I am really going after Vaal Rhebok, I'm probably not bringing the .375. If I am chasing a buffalo, I don't want the remotest possibility I have confused ammo and/or scopes.

I killed my first buffalo with a .375 equipped with a 3x9 variable Trijicon and the next one with Leica 2.5x10 (no practical difference from a power perspective), and the last two with a 1.5x10 Leica. The latter is the ideal scope for me, but it is expensive, and a 3x9 will absolutely get the job done. The biggest challenge is not potentially stopping a charge, but getting a second bullet into a departing animal if you get a chance. Assuming it is a good scope, the more critical thing to me is that it is instantly dismountable for a follow-up. Talley rings and bases are hard to beat.

A high quality 3-9x scope in QD rings on top of a .375 H&H is pretty darn hard to beat for just about anything. So, nope! :) I can’t think of any reason not to.

I have a 3-9 on my 375 and have taken game from buf to springbok at ranges from 25 to 275 yards. I had no problem with my buf on 3x at 25 yds. Longer ranges I sometimes crank it up to 6 or 7 depending on conditions. I have 3-9 x on all my rifles but I am going to put a 1.5-4 on my 404 Jeffery when I get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg