Thoughts on putting a 3x9 scope on 375?

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
Is there any real reason not to mount a 3x9 scope on a 375 h&h which would be used on Buffalo down to diker, with backup iron sights, ranges out to 200 yards. Why or why not?

MS Hitman

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, Handgun Hunters International, Quail Forever, SCI, DSC, DU
Hunted
USA (MS, LA, WV, CO, TX, AL, AR, & NM), South Africa, New Brunswick, Canada
I put a 3-9x40 on my .375 a long time ago. Never seen any reason to replace it.

K-man

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
I like the 1.5 x 5 or the 1.25x 4. Leupolds. For 200 yard shot these are plenty.
Exactly what I have on mine - has always been plenty even out to 300 yds.

meigsbucks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
For a .375, especially with buff on the menu, I think you want 1-1.5x on the low end. On the high end, 6-8x is fine for taking on game like impala out to 250-300 yds, so 200 yds is well within its ability.
That said, you could do worse than 3-9x but I think you’d be better off with the lower low end.

Reactions: cmk

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Not one I can think of. I guess if it is your primary DG rifle and 3x is just to much then by all means put a 1-5 on it. A 3-9 in QD rings is a pretty handy set up. I have never felt disadvantaged with 3x as my low end.

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
My Win 70 in .375 used to sport a zeiss 3-9x40.. I used that combo on a PG hunt in 2017 and it worked wonderfully..

I have since replaced the 3-9x40 with a 1-6x optic.. At one point (prior to building my .416) I thought the .375 would be my primary rifle for a planned buff hunt.. and I wanted the true 1x capability for close in shots..

I ended up not taking the .375 on my buff hunt.. and have decided to either put the 3-9 back on it or to go with a zeiss 2-7x that I have collecting dust in the safe... I just havent gotten around to doing it yet..

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
3x field of view I think will be kind of narrow for potential cape buffalo hunting, unless you're hunting open country. I'm sure lots of folks find that acceptable, but I'm just not one of them.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Is there any real reason not to mount a 3x9 scope on a 375 h&h which would be used on Buffalo down to diker, with backup iron sights, ranges out to 200 yards. Why or why not?

Go for it !

It will work just fine. I have a 2x10 on mine and shot the buff in my avatar with it. I've also shot a wildebeest at over 200 yards without a problem.

It makes for a great all around rifle. And I promise you there have been more buff shot with a 3x9 scope than anyone will admit.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I answered this question several months back. My thinking on this subject hasn't changed, so here goes. The 375 H&H is a very versatile caliber. It can be used up close and personal for DG and when coupled with lighter bullets reach out and touch smaller game at considerable shooting distances. The answer then is two scopes with QD / Q rings. One scope being a 1.5 -5 or similar and the other a 3-9X. You then have the best of both worlds. In a matter of seconds the scopes can be removed leaving the rifle with iron sights.

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
I answered this question several months back. My thinking on this subject hasn't changed, so here goes. The 375 H&H is a very versatile caliber. It can be used up close and personal for DG and when coupled with lighter bullets reach out and touch smaller game at considerable shooting distances. The answer then is two scopes with QD / Q rings. One scope being a 1.5 -5 or similar and the other a 3-9X. You then have the best of both worlds. In a matter of seconds the scopes can be removed leaving the rifle with iron sights.

@Shootist43 i think this is the best advice. From this advice I have a 1.25-4x and a 3-15x on QD mounts for my .375.

Adrian

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
England year round and Namibia x5.
I put a 2-8x42 on mine and used it with great success a couple of weeks ago at distances from 30m to 200m.

YancyW

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
I have a 2x10 on mine, but if I was on hunting buff, I would put a something with a 1 power on the bottom end. Some people have no problem shooting with both eyes open on something other than 1x, I'm just not one of them.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
With respect to all, I have never shot at anything with my .375 beyond 300 yards, and have never had to increase magnification above 6 power for a shot. I also don't get the need to bring two weights of ammo. I have killed all my buffalo and a truck load (large truck) of plains game all with the 300 gr bullet. One could do the same with a quality 270 gr projectile. Nothing was beyond 300 yards, and if I am really going after Vaal Rhebok, I'm probably not bringing the .375. If I am chasing a buffalo, I don't want the remotest possibility I have confused ammo and/or scopes.

I killed my first buffalo with a .375 equipped with a 3x9 variable Trijicon and the next one with Leica 2.5x10 (no practical difference from a power perspective), and the last two with a 1.5x10 Leica. The latter is the ideal scope for me, but it is expensive, and a 3x9 will absolutely get the job done. The biggest challenge is not potentially stopping a charge, but getting a second bullet into a departing animal if you get a chance. Assuming it is a good scope, the more critical thing to me is that it is instantly dismountable for a follow-up. Talley rings and bases are hard to beat.

IdaRam

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
A high quality 3-9x scope in QD rings on top of a .375 H&H is pretty darn hard to beat for just about anything. So, nope! :) I can’t think of any reason not to.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
I have a 3-9 on my 375 and have taken game from buf to springbok at ranges from 25 to 275 yards. I had no problem with my buf on 3x at 25 yds. Longer ranges I sometimes crank it up to 6 or 7 depending on conditions. I have 3-9 x on all my rifles but I am going to put a 1.5-4 on my 404 Jeffery when I get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlesJek

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J