Thoughts on Craig Boddington?

@WilhelmM
I can't comment based on personal meeting with the man but the PH I hunted with had guided him and one of his daughter's and film crew a few times. He found him overbearing, arrogant and obnoxious. Yes he had a show to produce but as he said a bit of politeness would have been good. Out of politeness and no first hand experience I will not say what the daughter was called behind her back.
I have read one of his books and it was very informative if a bit dry buy still a good read.
Bob

Shit bob now you have me intrigued as to what she was called.....:E Hmmm::E Big Grin:

I don't know him personally and I have not hunted with Craig. I know a few outfitters that have. Like any celebrity one will get conflicting reports. Even so , I personally think we should not be sharing hear say about anyone on a public platform. If there are facts ..say it. Especially don't bring someone's daughter into disrepute by letting something hang in the air about what someone else said about her... bad taste. There is no humor in that.

I would not go into business with him and I will not stand near his daughter with a loaded weapon in her hands.

Apart from that he is one of my earliest influences and hero's reading his articles in the gun magazines and in books like "When Lions Roar".
My dream rifle is a 300 H&H Boddington "Kudu" it will slot in nicely next to the 9.3 and 6.5.

Rather than dig for anything negative, rather acknowledge the huge life achievements of Boddington. Of course he has to play the tune of his sponsors! But the thing I like him most for is how his daughters turned out, they are great hunters.
As an aside, I got the impression from posts that Hornady had fixed all their ptoblems and the DGX in particular was now ok? If that is indeed so it is a bit unfair to keep dragging them through the mud isn't it?
I agree with you about Hornady. Though I don't personally use them, they are still one of the few companies out there that cater to Safari hunters. They've also resurrected many old DG calibers, and made them affordable to shoot. So whether you like the DGX or not, it seems counterproductive to always bash them. They are on our side!

Craig and his wife are wonderful people. I had the pleasure of having dinner with them a few years back and they were nothing but great.
In life some people will like you and some not. Try to hold your head high and leave others be.

What is this site’s general opinion on Craig Boddington? I ask this as I’ve rarely seen him being talked out and when he is talked about, people have an oddly negative opinion of him. I’m not sure why, exactly. He doesn’t seem to be very smug (unlike a certain Mark Sullivan) and vast majority of his hunts, at least from what I’ve seen, are fair chase and ethical for the most part. Feel free to give your honest opinion.
I like Craig. I’ve spent time with him at shows and he spoke at our San Angelo SCI Banquet. I’ve ready several of his books so let’s talk about that first of all. He does drive me a bit crazy continually quoting Jack O’Conner. His writing style is not anything special but the content, Jack O’Conner aside, is pretty good and informative. I think he is fairly good on TV. He’s not the best on camera but OK as far as I’m concerned. I do like that he is not a know it all and shares his experiences in a humble manner most of the time.
Every industry needs an ambassador and Craig has been a good one overall.
Regards,
Philip

I have nothing to add, but to say that I agreee in several above positive posts, after reading (and having) all his african safari books, and after having been in contact both with him and his lady. I can say nothing but best about him. Kind, knowelagdable, approachable, and gentleman.
I think that @Philip Glass has hit the point, with title of ambassador of industry.

I`m sure to his friends that he is a wonderful fellow,hunter and rifleman.

I do wonder how the high profile people such as CB go hunting and "always get a good one"
Be it anywhere in the world or whatever game is on the board.
His daughter it seems cant do much wrong either in the pursuit of "good ones"

@sambarhunter
Just from reading what he was writing, I came to conclusion that it is not "always".
For example, it took him (if I remember correctly) at least three separate hunts to get his first leopard.
So, logically it is not "always" he will get the leopard, just because he hunts it, or bongo to give another example.

Finally, I personally do not grit my theeth, if somebody collects better animal then me.

In fact, I am fairly certain I will never get a tiger, or a rhino, although we can read reports about these achievements on the forum. If I get to one buffalo only I will be happy with that acievement.

Finally, I have completed only two PG safaris, he has maybe more then 100. Much more chances to get "good one". Different leagues. But from his writings I collected a lot of good infomrations, and got my first bearings on African safaris, game animals, and African countries. I appreciate that.

I like CB, although I have never met him. His articles are informative and TV shows better than the average bubba hunting shows which are mostly commercials.

CB started college in 1970 on a ROTC scholarship. This was during the Vietnam war, when a lot of people in the US were anti-war and anti-military. CB went into the Marines, active duty and then later in the Reserves. CB served during Desert Storm and the Persian Gulf War. He's more than earned my respect based on his service to our country.

As far as controversies surrounding CB: Then a Colonel, CB was frocked with a BG star which supposedly didn't follow regulations. I'm thinking this is more the fault of his superior officers.

CB's bankruptcy and his daughter had a shooting accident that was much publicized.

None of us are perfect. CB is more in the spot light than most of us and all in all, he does it with grace and humility. I'd go on a hunt with him.

We should ask ourselves how we would feel about living our life under a public scrutiny microscope. If you have a grievance with him I would suggest you take it up with him. He has never been anything but a gentleman with me. I appreciate his willingness to share his experiences and the knowledge gleaned.

I`m sure to his friends that he is a wonderful fellow,hunter and rifleman.

I do wonder how the high profile people such as CB go hunting and "always get a good one"
Be it anywhere in the world or whatever game is on the board.
His daughter it seems cant do much wrong either in the pursuit of "good ones"
Simply put, volume of hunts. While some of us may very well enjoy seeing the experience of the hunt and the area, etc. the vast majority of the audience that makes these shows money mostly wants to see the trophy. The outfitter also wants to look good as well. It costs a lot of time and money to air an episode, it's simple business that the ones with successful hunts and/or large trophies are selected to air, it doesn't mean that the unsuccessful ones didnt happen to get there

I met him at a SCI show in Vegas a few years back. I bought his book "Buffalo!" and chatted with him about my trip to Africa and how I wanted to one day hunt Cape Buffalo. We chatted for about 10 minutes about Buffalo hunting and he then signed my copy of the book.

I found him to be a perfect gentleman and a delightful person with whom to chat.

I don't know him personally and I have not hunted with Craig. I know a few outfitters that have. Like any celebrity one will get conflicting reports. Even so , I personally think we should not be sharing hear say about anyone on a public platform. If there are facts ..say it. Especially don't bring someone's daughter into disrepute by letting something hang in the air about what someone else said about her... bad taste. There is no humor in that.
@ Jan Dumon

I am not trying to bring CBS daughter into disrepute. In fact it was the opposite. I was merely pointing out a fact that it is not only CB that cops flack but members of his family his family as well. Yes I can be a prick at times like others but what was said said about her has no place on public forum or elsewhere without the opportunity to defend themselves. The fact is there are people out there that don't like him or some of his family.
I have not met him or his family so can't form an opinion but I can relay what I was told by someone who has actually spent time with and hunted with CB,his film crew and his daughter.
Bob

Craig is a good person. The Famous have many people simultaneously pulling on their coattails for attention and there are a few always looking for faults. All in all Craig does a pretty good job. I have known him for years . Once, he invited me on an African hunt which included a couple firearm/hunting celebrities, plus an important environmental agenda for a TV show. I was impressed how well he handled everything. No, I am not a celebrity and had my own PH to hunt with during the day, then in the evening enjoyed everyone’s company over sundowners and dinner. I was surprised how well things went with so many people. I am used to safari by myself and a PH. Kindest Regards

What is this site’s general opinion on Craig Boddington? I ask this as I’ve rarely seen him being talked out and when he is talked about, people have an oddly negative opinion of him. I’m not sure why, exactly. He doesn’t seem to be very smug (unlike a certain Mark Sullivan) and vast majority of his hunts, at least from what I’ve seen, are fair chase and ethical for the most part. Feel free to give your honest opinion.
Again nothing but admiration and respect for him. May I ask how he went bankrupt? He seems so successful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnAle

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,