Thought Provoking Question: How Many Of You Would Use A Smaller Calibre If It Were Legal?

I consider the bullet construction and performance to be of more importance than its diameter or cartridge case. but then, an adequately constructed bullet would be available in most any cartridge. I have a soft spot for the 404 Jeffery so would use it- since it is larger than the 375H&H, it doesn't answer the question.

I consider the bullet construction and performance to be of more importance than its diameter or cartridge case. but then, an adequately constructed bullet would be available in most any cartridge. ...
That being said, there is something to be said about the extra lethality and stopping power of an additional 2-3,000 ft/lbs of energy of bigger bores.

If it was just placement and bullet construction that mattered, then we'd be shooting elephants and buffalo with a .22. :ROFLMAO:

My Grandfather hunted extensively in the Palamu area of Bihar in the 1920's and 30's. I've heard numerous stories of him hunting a huge black bear when it was standing up and about to attack him from behind. He had a British Paradox hammer gun by Manton that he imported from UK back in the days. He hunted 12 Bengal Tigers and numerous Leopards and other animals and always said that shot placement was key, but the gun was more than a match for the dangerous games he hunted at close quarters. He always prefered to hunt from ground and never on a Elephant or a machan. We still have the gun as a family heirloom..

In some instances I would use a .22lr on Roe deer if it was legal.

In some instances I would use a .22lr on Roe deer if it was legal.

Please don’t. On our leases, every year, we kill several sick Roe with festering head and neck wounds caused by poachers shooting 22lr. Granted a Roe deer brain shot with 22lr will be DRT, but there’s not much margin for error and many animals end up suffering.

Please don’t. On our leases, every year, we kill several sick Roe with festering head and neck wounds caused by poachers shooting 22lr. Granted a Roe deer brain shot with 22lr will be DRT, but there’s not much margin for error and many animals end up suffering.
You right. In most of the cases it would not be advisable. Sometimes near urban centres where a lot of recreation is, it would be nice because of the disturbance created by the shot But is is not legal. The better option would be silencers but also still not legal over here ..

My Grandfather hunted extensively in the Palamu area of Bihar in the 1920's and 30's. I've heard numerous stories of him hunting a huge black bear when it was standing up and about to attack him from behind. He had a British Paradox hammer gun by Manton that he imported from UK back in the days. He hunted 12 Bengal Tigers and numerous Leopards and other animals and always said that shot placement was key, but the gun was more than a match for the dangerous games he hunted at close quarters. He always prefered to hunt from ground and never on a Elephant or a machan. We still have the gun as a family heirloom..

What was the caliber of the Paradox gun ?

I agree use plenty of gun. I got carried away with my like for the 9.3. My first reply was supporting the 9.3. I don’t think it’s dangerous game calibre though. You don’t really want the PH having to shoot your animals.

Nope to the premise of the OP. If anything, just the opposite. I've learned to go bigger than legal minimum. And quite a bit bigger if I can shoot it accurately.

When it comes to dangerous game, I would use a 20mm Oerlikon if it was legal!
I would take the H4831 powder out of the cannon shells for my DG cartridge use if it were possible? Bet that’s a LOT of powder! LOL

Modern version of the .322 Rigby with 275 or 300 grain bullets would be a good and simple one.

I would think the thinner skinned cats wouldn't require as much as the thick skinned game. I've known guys who shot mountain lions with the .30-30 effectively, but I think I'd want a little more if I were facing a leopard or lion and a lot more if I were up against an elephant, buffalo or rhino.

No matter how large a caliber we use, it will not make up for crappy shooting no matter how much we deny that. No, your .577 NE won’t kill them no matter where their hit. Learn to shoot…..

The most important will always be the shot placement, nevertheless nobody should write too much nonsense about the big bore rifles and cartridges.

With the same shot placement there is a very big difference in the effect between smaller and larger calibers in particular in terms of the size of the wound channel, the blood loss and therefore the very short or no escape distance of the game.

In general and for some in particular, if one don't master to shoot with a big bore rifle or may be if one cannot afford one, one should not take to try to explain again and again the others that big bores are unnecessary for hunting DG. It's absolutely wrong and anyone with experience hunting in Africa will appreciate the benefits of the big bore rifles for hunting big game.

I would think the thinner skinned cats wouldn't require as much as the thick skinned game. I've known guys who shot mountain lions with the .30-30 effectively, but I think I'd want a little more if I were facing a leopard or lion and a lot more if I were up against an elephant, buffalo or rhino.
And requirement for cats is different, especially Leopard which most countries allow you to use 7mm and up. I shot mine with a 9.3x74R. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for lion either if legally allowed and shooting from a blind. Now, tracking a Lion I will stick with the .500 NE.

There are minimum calibers set for a very good reason....
Shot placement means nothing if you use a bullet and calber that cannot reach the target inside the animal...
A bigger caliber with a bullet designed for the job at hand placed in the right place will kill with a lot more authority than a smaller marginal one.
A 375 H&H with the right bullet is capable of killing any DG on the initial shot but I will not be carrying one when following up wounded buffalo, male lion or elephant....my tracker does I carry a 500 Jeff for that.
If I was the hunter taking the first shot would I use a 375 H&H? Absolutely..

I suppose that it could be done. Certainly a tiger or lion, which are thin skinned animals and more susceptible to shock than thick-skinned game, but hunting conditions vary and so do the opportunities for a shot. Why NOT use a bigger caliber?

Mike Angelides, PH on my recent hunt in Tanzania, commented that the .404 Jeffery I used on buff and eland was a much faster killer of buffalo than a .375 H&H, which is what most of his clients use. The difference in damage between the two calibers was significant, according to him and his brother. On one buff I shot (twice through the shoulder) the damage was massive, both shoulders shattered, lungs destroyed, one bullet passing through the buff and exiting, the other destroyed the off shoulder and was found in the hollow of the off-side upper leg bone surrounded by bone shards. There was no follow-up required on either of two buff shot. The other buff required on shot through both shoulders and fell dead within about 10 feet. I do not think that a smaller caliber, with a lighter bullet, could inflict this level of damage and quick killing.

I see no advantage in using a smaller caliber, lighter bullet on thick-skinned dangerous game. When shooting you want the animal DEAD as soon as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross