www.amandlagroup.co.za
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NSA,Kaapj and SA hunters
Hunted
Kudu,impala,springbuck,wildebeest
I'm using a .308 at the moment. Any advice what calliper I should get as my second hunting rifle. I enjoy hunting i.e. Impala,kudu.....if I may add I'm comfortable shooting up to 400m.

Many, many good options available but I would think a 300 WM would serve you well, vast load/weight options and readily available ammo most anywhere. That being said a 338 WM might deserve a closer look... Either way, always a great time when shopping for a new rifle.

If your not thinking of adding ant DG in the future,.then i would suggest .300 wm. If a DG hunt is possible, go with .375 h&h

A 375HH loaded from a 200g up to a 350g has the possibility to be a very versitile hunter

Plains game: 7x64, 8x68, 35 Whelen, 358 NM just to be different
DG: 9.3x62 (if allowed), 375H&H, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery, 458 Lott, 450 Rigby, 505 Gibbs etc.

Last edited:
338win mag is an excellent one. The 300win mag will also work well but really is not much more than your 308win for all practical purposes at practical hunting ranges. If you are good with the 308win at 400 meters I see little "need" for a 300mag. The 338 will shoot a larger diameter and heavier bullet for larger game. The 338win mag is also excellent on the smaller game also.
If you are going to want a rifle for DG then a 375 or larger depending on how you handle recoil is in order.

@Yaseen I see you location is South Africa...do you see yourself hunting dangerous game at sometime in the future? If so you may well want to consider @Rob404 suggestion of the 375 H&H.

@Yaseen I see you location is South Africa...do you see yourself hunting dangerous game at sometime in the future? If so you may well want to consider @Rob404 suggestion of the 375 H&H.

Maybe the opportunity would arise in the near future. I would look into the 375 H&H. Thank you.

If you are not going for DG, go historic like 757 (275 Rigby) and build up an appropriate rifle.... Or go 6.5 Creedmore for long range.... just my .02... LOTS of options!

My thoughts are the same as 8X68, with one proviso. If you are likely to hunt DG or in country that has DG in it then go the 375H&H. This is a step up on recoil. I would not go to a larger calibre unless you can shoot some one else rifles in the larger calibres to see how you handle the recoil. Synthetic stocks normally reduce felt recoil a fair bit.

Depends what your going hunt as others have sagely said, but the last two rifles I would part with would be my 9.3x62 and my 375 H&H. they are similar and VERY versatile. And with proper weight and fit stocks they are pussy cats to shoot. imho.

I like the 300 Winchester magnum but if you want something that will serve you well above the 308 you may want to consider the 338 Winchester magnum using 225 gn

Get them all, how does one person only have one rifle when they have two eyes and two hands. Ok I am not really kidding but money and licensing might be an issue. If that is the case I would go much bigger, like the .375 H&H and then you have any Africa animal covered. The 300 win mag, 300 SM, 338, and 9.3 are all great calibers but the .308 can do everything they can do. To what extent is debatable. But the .308 can not do the larger/dangerous game animals but neither can the other 300 cartridges. Ideally plan on getting more than one additional rifle. As I tell my wife all the time, a new gun is cheaper than a girlfriend so be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get them all, how does one person only have one rifle when they have two eyes and two hands. Ok I am not really kidding but money and licensing might be an issue. If that is the case I would go much bigger, like the .375 H&H and then you have any Africa animal covered. The 300 win mag, 300 SM, 338, and 9.3 are all great calibers but the .308 can do everything they can do. To what extent is debatable. But the .308 can not do the larger/dangerous game animals but neither can the other 300 cartridges. Ideally plan on getting more than one additional rifle. As I tell my wife all the time, a new gun is cheaper than a girlfriend so be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good advice!!!! Thank you.

338win mag is an excellent one. The 300win mag will also work well but really is not much more than your 308win for all practical purposes at practical hunting ranges. If you are good with the 308win at 400 meters I see little "need" for a 300mag. The 338 will shoot a larger diameter and heavier bullet for larger game. The 338win mag is also excellent on the smaller game also.
If you are going to want a rifle for DG then a 375 or larger depending on how you handle recoil is in order.

Comparing the 308 to 3006, I would agree there's not enough to warrant an upgrade. The 300 win mag can shoot the same bullet with over 1000 more ft lbs of energy. That's very significant in my opinion - it can be the difference between dropping an animal and having it run off and conveniently die in a ravine.
I'd probably go with a 300wsm - you keep the same action length and shave off 1/2 - 1 pound of weight.

If you are recoil tolerant and have have a need for them, the 338 or 375 would work fine.

Just a thought, but I'd be sure that ammo is easily available near you for what ever you decide to get.
Good luck on your decision!

Ft lbs of energy is a poor choice to compare cartridges. Especially when the lesser does the job fine AT THE RANGES THE PERSON SHOOTS. FPS of a cartridge will matter on long range shooting as well as the BC of the bullet. If all you are concerned about is ft lbs then get a larger bore cartridge. If comparing same caliber then by your standard he should get an Ultra-mag or Weatherby.
Then there is the matter of BULLETS. The bullets that one can use now are so much better than years ago that you do not need heavier or larger caliber bullets to get the job done cleanly. I am not talking about using a lesser caliber but that modern bullets of the same weight(or less) will now out perform bullets of the past. That is what Nosler Partition started years ago and it has grown into more top quality bullets.
Then there is the recoil/noise for the small gain between the 308 and 300mag AT THE RANGES HE SHOOTS and most game is usually taken---especially in Africa. Some cannot handle the recoil as well as others and a poorly placed shot with more ft lbs is really worse than a well placed shot with less.
I own a number of mags including a 300win mag but it tends to stay home and I will take my 308win or 30-06, if I choose 30cal, when I go hunting. Surprise: I have yet to not hit and kill my animal with the lesser rifles even at ranges out to 600 yards which is farther than I usually shoot.
Any energy that is expended AFTER leaving the animal is wasted energy. Ideally the bullet should expend all its energy in the animal and just exit and fall to the ground. Sometimes a bullet going too fast will not expand as well especially on small animals or not hitting bone. Just zips thru and does less damage than a slower one with less ft lbs. Kind of like what do you need a 1000hp/200mph car to sit in city traffic all the time and never go over 35mph?

Extra ft lbs can be good on some shots but the 308win has enough to do the job with a lot less noise/recoil and possible poor shot placement.

Sorry I do not buy your argument and I have been at this many years and own a number of hunting rifles/pistols.

Ft lbs of energy is a poor choice to compare cartridges. Especially when the lesser does the job fine AT THE RANGES THE PERSON SHOOTS. FPS of a cartridge will matter on long range shooting as well as the BC of the bullet. If all you are concerned about is ft lbs then get a larger bore cartridge. If comparing same caliber then by your standard he should get an Ultra-mag or Weatherby.
Then there is the matter of BULLETS. The bullets that one can use now are so much better than years ago that you do not need heavier or larger caliber bullets to get the job done cleanly. I am not talking about using a lesser caliber but that modern bullets of the same weight(or less) will now out perform bullets of the past. That is what Nosler Partition started years ago and it has grown into more top quality bullets.
Then there is the recoil/noise for the small gain between the 308 and 300mag AT THE RANGES HE SHOOTS and most game is usually taken---especially in Africa. Some cannot handle the recoil as well as others and a poorly placed shot with more ft lbs is really worse than a well placed shot with less.
I own a number of mags including a 300win mag but it tends to stay home and I will take my 308win or 30-06, if I choose 30cal, when I go hunting. Surprise: I have yet to not hit and kill my animal with the lesser rifles even at ranges out to 600 yards which is farther than I usually shoot.
Any energy that is expended AFTER leaving the animal is wasted energy. Ideally the bullet should expend all its energy in the animal and just exit and fall to the ground. Sometimes a bullet going too fast will not expand as well especially on small animals or not hitting bone. Just zips thru and does less damage than a slower one with less ft lbs. Kind of like what do you need a 1000hp/200mph car to sit in city traffic all the time and never go over 35mph?

Extra ft lbs can be good on some shots but the 308win has enough to do the job with a lot less noise/recoil and possible poor shot placement.

Sorry I do not buy your argument and I have been at this many years and own a number of hunting rifles/pistols.

Recoil is a very fair argument against the 300 win mag and above.

With the OP already having a very capable medium type of cartridge, I'm just thinking he doesn't need another that can do the exact same thing (7mm08, 270, 3006 for instance). If he wants another similar cartridge in which he loads one light load and one heavy load, sure, that's an option.
When I see a "2nd hunting rifle" thread, I try to fill in gaps. I could recommend a 243/6mm for the smaller animals, but I think he would be better served by going up instead of down for better reliability on large game.

You shoot a 300 pound animal square in the shoulder with a 308, they go down right there most of the time. Sometimes they make it 50 yards or so --- a long enough distances to potentially give you grief if you have ever had to pull one up out of a creek after he ran into it and died. A 7mag or 300mag would have flat out knocked him stupid.

You take an 800 pound animal and shoot him with a 308 - you may not be able to tell if it was hit. You shoot him a 300, you'll see a more pronounced stumble. Why? Because it hits it harder.

I agree you're going to get the same end result most of the time, probably 80-90% of the time. It's the other 10-20% I worry about with large animals.

We see reports written here all the time where someone made a decent shot (certainly not a bad one), they had some problems recovering, and they wished they would have used a bit more cartridge.

We'll have to agree to disagree

Would look at a little,, mid, and large bore, since you have the small bore covered with your 308.
Look at a 22 Hornet class of rifle (Little)
9.3x63 or 375 H&H (Mid)
404 Jeffery or 416 Rigby (Large)

With 4 rifles you have everything walking on the face of the earth covered. Throw in a nice 12ga and that covers the flying critters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross