Think We Need A Bigger Gun?

gbflyer

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 6.52.28 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I know nothing about air rifles…. What size or projectiles are these things firing and at what speeds? The bullets on the bench look cast? Am I right?

I've looked into it a bit a few years ago and air guns are serious business. I saw some .45 calibers shootin 240 grain bullets if I remember correctly. Not a lot of range, just a heavy slow bullet I think on the ones I saw

Why bother with this?

Unless you are a convicted felon and can't legally possess a fireman, just use modern smokeless powder cartridge of adequate power and not bother with a dang high-power BB gun!

If you are a convicted felon in the US, the federal government, will find something else to charge you for.

The High Road tv show depicted big game hunting with an airgun called the dragon, I believe. It was a mean machine; nothing like I had ever envisioned.

Why bother with this?

Unless you are a convicted felon and can't legally possess a fireman, just use modern smokeless powder cartridge of adequate power and not bother with a dang high-power BB gun!

If you are a convicted felon in the US, the federal government, will find something else to charge you for.

I didn’t know convicted felons couldn’t possess firemen! Don’t ya love spellcheck!

I hunt small game with air rifles, it is very good fun and the equipment is extremely precise. Mega air rifles can do big game, it is quite common now, but to me it wouldn't carry the mystique of a double firearm on a big game hunt. The boom is part of it!

Here is a video of Keith Warren hunting Cape Buffalo with an air rifle. What is really happening is that the air rifle is little more than archery tackle (compound bow, recurve, crossbow...etc) with an air tank. As such your hunting options (for DG) are to sit in a blind and wait for a suitable animal to present a near perfect shot at a reasonable distance.

This is not my idea of hunting, but I wouldn't stop anyone who wanted to try it. The animal Keith harvested I was not impressed with, but the PH gave the green light on it. Like most hunting shows, it's about highlighting the capabilities of the product on the show. And what is more impressive than taking down a Cape Buffalo with an air rifle.

Hunting Caribou and Black Tailed Deer is another story. However the laws of physics still apply...gotta have that energy at the point of impact with accuracy. No different than hunting with any other rifle, except that you have severely limited your opportunities for success because of the limited range.

Never shot the big ones but have a couple friends who build them. They are just as serious and deadly across the species as a traditional (firearm). As for the comment on just use a modern smokeless well hate to burst any bubbles but those firearms are also propelled by expanding gas!!! "The common cals. are .257, .30, .357, .45, and .50 and can be thrown up to 1100 fps." That's from my buddy who builds.

Last edited:
Don’t some of those “ big bore “ air rifles shoot arrows as well as pellets? May have already been asked or stated.
The one Keith Warren used would shoot either a bullet or a bolt (arrow).

Air guns are growing on me. I may get a Diana to cull lizards. They are good for home yard work on pests. No one wants to shoot a 22lr into their neighborhood. Otherwise, I’d have no use or interest.

That's a bucket list hunt yet for me. Iguanas with an airgun like on TV, as well as a big old everglades python, tanned skin can hang beside my mamba shed skin. As a kid I spent many many days terrorizing, starlings, pigeons, rats, and pests with an air rifle. A Webley I still have. Cannot imagine using one for larger game, but some do, I did see the TV guys shooting some big stuff. Each to their own I guess, as long as they kill ethically.

MB

Read a report about a buff hunt with an air rifle.
Next up will be dangerous game hunts with slingshots.
I have a .177 pellet rifle that I use for pest control in my cherry trees. I leave for Zimbabwe next week on a buffalo hunt. Maybe I should just leave the .458 at home and just take the air gun?

I have a .177 pellet rifle that I use for pest control in my cherry trees. I leave for Zimbabwe next week on a buffalo hunt. Maybe I should just leave the .458 at home and just take the air gun?
Yes, but leave a will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg