Think We Need A Bigger Gun?

The Lewis and Clark expedition used a air rifle along with black powder. I believe it is now in the NRA musuem. As far as I know they did not encounter any Cape buffalo.
 
.... but please in my favour
I dunno. 1100fps from a 45 cal? That's about handgun specs. What's the energy at killing range? I'd want a damn big backup caliber for dg.
 
One that I saw advertised for hunting Cape Buffalo generated 700 ft/lbs of energy. Pretty dismal. I guess a 22LR could eventually kill a Buffalo too.
 
That's a bucket list hunt yet for me. Iguanas with an airgun like on TV, as well as a big old everglades python, tanned skin can hang beside my mamba shed skin. As a kid I spent many many days terrorizing, starlings, pigeons, rats, and pests with an air rifle. A Webley I still have. Cannot imagine using one for larger game, but some do, I did see the TV guys shooting some big stuff. Each to their own I guess, as long as they kill ethically.

MB
Try it you’ll like it. They are often on trees overhanging a waterfront. So drifting by boat works out well. In south Florida they are everywhere though. So you don’t need a boat to be successful.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,284
Messages
1,570,598
Members
168,913
Latest member
JanaHollwa
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top